Northern California Babies
Options

Finger foods for texture issue baby

I'm still struggling with getting Jasper to eat stuff that isn't just pureed baby food. He finally started eating puffs and not gagging and throwing up after he had one.

Now all he eats as finger foods is bananas and puffs and avocado.

I tried steaming some carrots and butternut squash he wanted nothing to do with it. Even though he loves them pureed. Tried doing brown rice pasta yesterday, nada.

Do I just keep offering every now and again and wait it out ?

I'm sick of pureeing his food !! Smile

Re: Finger foods for texture issue baby

• Options

Have you tried giving him something that is actually crunchy like cheerios?  My son can not stand to this day anything mushy with texture like mashed potatoes.  He liked sweet potatoes pureed but would not eat them mashed.

He didn't do puffs all that well (lots of gagging and vomiting), but he rocked crisp, fresh cheerios.  He totally loved barely thawed frozen peas. 

Other than that, yes, wait it out.  You can't "teach" or force the skills necessary for safe eating at this stage. 

DS kept up the finiky texture thing until 17 months when his first set of molars FINALLY broke through and then the heavens opened and he stopped gagging and vomiting on a regular basis.  :)

• Options
    I'm in the same spot.  He's even eating stage 3 Earth's Best without a problem but doesn't like what I give him.  I'm trying to not take it personally and I keep pureeing, pushing the envelope in terms of how chunky I can make it, trying to provide SOMETHING finger food at meals (banana, graham cracker), and just waiting it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What about baby Mum Mums?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

That's very frustrating.  I don't really have much in terms of advice - just offering support.  We started Natalie with puffs - but even those I would bite in half until she got the hang of it.  Then we did mashed banana, pieces of baked sweet potato, turkey meatballs were her favorite for a long time, oh and cheerios - first in half and then whole.

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

How about rasberries?  They were one of the first finger foods S would eat and they breakdown pretty easily and are tasty :)

S ate a ton of cottage cheese at that age too but I don't know if that really helps with the transitioning to solids...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    From this list, I'm realizing how hard it is to have a kid who not only is texture sensitive but also doesn't like anything cold.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"