Cincinnati Babies

Timeouts

If you use this method, what age did you start with timeouts? Over the past week, my sweet Katelyn has turned into a temper tamtrum addict. Everything turns into a tantrum. She will throw her head back and tap her feet really fast and scream/whine, or she will sit on the floor and swing her arms back and forth so fast she makes herself fall over and then she screams more. If she doesn't get her way, watch out! So, I was wondering if 15 months is too early for timeouts? I was reading the Toddler 411 book, and it gave a starting age of 9 months. That seems really early to me, and 15 months kind of sounds early too. Do they really grasp what a timeout is at this age? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Timeouts

• I don't think Time outs are effective at that age. I just redirect and/or ignore the fit. I just walk away and let him have a fit and then when he's done we just play like normal.

Sawyer did the same thing at 15 months, but hasn't done them in a while.

Although I would not put it past him!

Good luck!

• We started using timeouts around that age.  Although, we only used them for hitting/biting - mostly as a means to separate our girls.  We set up a PNP in the corner of the family room and that's where they would go.  

For temper tantrums, personally, I'd just ignore them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRose.9.6.03:

We started using timeouts around that age.  Although, we only used them for hitting/biting - mostly as a means to separate our girls.  We set up a PNP in the corner of the family room and that's where they would go.  

For temper tantrums, personally, I'd just ignore them. 

This is what we did too, only he was hitting/kicking/biting us not another kid.  Oh and I think he was maybe a tiny bit older... a little closer to 18 months, but not much older.  He knew that the PNP meant he was in trouble.

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD does this and started right around 14 months.  I just ignore her, walk away, or redirect her depending on how upset she is and what the issue is.  Hitting, hair pulling, those kinds of things I walk away or stand up where she cant reach me and ignore.  Other things like taking away things she shouldn't have and she has a meltdown I just ignore and redirect her.  I try not to perpetuate the tantrum or let it drag on, but get the message across that she can't do what she was doing.  I really don't think even at 17 mo. DD would understand a time out yet. 
  • Funny that you asked this question because I was just wondering this myself.  E has started throwing tantrums exactly as you've described but I just ignore them.  He has also started hitting though and that's where I've begun time outs.  I got these steps from Nanny 911 this past week:

1.  Warning

2.  Firm Warning

3.  Time out with an explanation (1 min. per year of age)

4.  Explain again why there was a time out

5.  Follow through with an I'm sorry (obviously they're too young for this) and a hug.

6.  Go about your day as usual.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started putting K in timeout at about 18 months.  While I don't think it still really resonates with her as a punishment, it certainly does interrupt the behavior/redirect.  When we first started putting her in TO, she liked it.  We'd threaten time out and she would run over and push the chair into the corner and climb in. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSuperchicy:
    DD does this and started right around 14 months.  I just ignore her, walk away, or redirect her depending on how upset she is and what the issue is.  Hitting, hair pulling, those kinds of things I walk away or stand up where she cant reach me and ignore.  Other things like taking away things she shouldn't have and she has a meltdown I just ignore and redirect her.  I try not to perpetuate the tantrum or let it drag on, but get the message across that she can't do what she was doing.  I really don't think even at 17 mo. DD would understand a time out yet. 

This is exactly what we do with Tyler.  I really don't think he would understand timeout at all at this age.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • We started around 15 months or so and she totally understood it.  We made her sit on "the step" maybe just for 30 seconds to a minute but she absolutely understood that she was sitting there bc she did something she wasn't allowed to do.  Around 18 months she started remembering what she did and being able to apologize.  It has been a very effective method for us.
  • imageAimlc1281:

Funny that you asked this question because I was just wondering this myself.  E has started throwing tantrums exactly as you've described but I just ignore them.  He has also started hitting though and that's where I've begun time outs.  I got these steps from Nanny 911 this past week:

1.  Warning

2.  Firm Warning

3.  Time out with an explanation (1 min. per year of age)

4.  Explain again why there was a time out

5.  Follow through with an I'm sorry (obviously they're too young for this) and a hug.

6.  Go about your day as usual.

Pretty much this. We started closer to 18 months, though, and we only really use TO's for hitting or throwing toys.

• Lily's been having tantrums for awhile now (she's 16 months today), and usually I just ignore her while she's having the tantrum or say something like (ohh that's not pretty), LOL and then redirect her. I think it's pretty common at this age and a time out probably wouldn't phase her except make her more angry.
  • Miller - Our LO's must be two peas in a pod, I could have written your post after the day I've had with my son.

And WTH - 1,000+ views?

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"