Pre-School and Daycare

Sippy Cups at Night

DH just turned 3 a couple of weeks ago and I would like to stop her from using the sippy cup at night time.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Sippy Cups at Night

• Is it milk or water?

DD1 has insisted on sleeping with a water straw sippy ever since switching to a big girl bed. It's like a lovey to her! I don't have a problem with it, at least until we have her give up sippies for good. After all, I always keep a glass of water by my bed too.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • I'm having a similar issue.... We've cut out sippy cups during the day, much to DD's dismay! She's been using the Nuby soft spout and it has basically become her pacifier. She sucks on it all night long (water only) and gets upset if she wakes in the middle of the night and can't find it. All this from a baby who never used a pacifier! Ugh :(

Anyway, cutting it out at daytime was a pain. She went on a food & drink strike for 4 days! She refuses to sleep w/out it and I think nights are going to be even more of a power struggle. I think we're just going to have to do it cold turkey and have her throw them out and just be gone!

I kept saying that we'd do that as soon as she turned 3...a week ago. But between sicknesses in the house and us not sleeping well, it looks like we'll be waiting a little longer. Especially since she's so adamant on having that darn cup.

Ideally, we'll keep a straw cup by her bed in case she gets thirsty at night. The problem for us it more using her cup as a paci.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Loading the player...
  • All sippy cups left my house when my kids turned 2 - we use straw cups like a sports water bottle.  My older DD likes to keep one with water in her room at night but my just about 3 year old never has one.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • We decreased the amount of milk (in our daughter's case) and gave it to her before she laid down and we read books instead of while reading books.  Before we did it, we told her about how things were going to be a little different at bedtime.  There was some tears shed and several nights of "I want my milk cup" but we made it.  DD was 2 1/2 at the time.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"