Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Sleeping issues, already...

My little guy is now 16 days old, and we're hanging in there. Obviously there is no "routine" in our life, but I am attempting to start the "easy" method a little bit every day, as we're able, making sure he's sleeping enough, and having a little bit of awake time after feedings.

I've noticed that he fights sleep most of the day unless I continuously hold him and allow him to sleep against my chest ( on his belly). If I move him from that position, he wakes up and screams and fights until I again pick him up and allow him to sleep in the same position. If he doesn't sleep enough, he gets more agitated.

Today I put him down on his belly, on the coucht beside me, and found that he stayed sound asleep this way. I feel comfortable with him in this position if I sit beside him, ( I can watch and make sure he's breathing and safe), but obviously I don't feel comfortable with him in this position all of the time.

Has anyone else had a problem with a newborn who only wants to sleep on his tummy? Can he be trained to sleep on his back? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleeping issues, already...

• Options
    You can't sleep train a newborn. If that's the only way he will sleep, let him.
    2 girls and a dog
  • Options

imageheather_09_15_07:
    You can't sleep train a newborn. If that's the only way he will sleep, let him.

I recognize this, but it's only safe to allow a newborn to sleep on his back.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is not an "issue" it is how newborns work, LOL! Hold your baby if it keeps him asleep. At 8 weeks I can sometimes get LO to nap without me--after I've held him for a min of 20 minutes while he gets into the sleeping. Your baby has been "held" by you 24/7 and was in an environment of perfect warmth and soothing sounds.   Next to you/on you is the closest he can get to that now. Put him in a wrap or carrier if you are not able to hold him in your arms for that long.
  • Options

Right, but if that's the only way he will sleep...

Have you tried a Moby? Maybe he will sleep in that.

2 girls and a dog
  • Options

I've tried the Moby, but I don't think he feels super secure.  I hold him most of the day, but there are certain things, like showering, that I'd like to attempt every once in a while. 

• Options
    I had the same issue with my LO. I found if I swaddled her tight and put her down but stayed against her until she settled again. then I slowly backed away. She stayed asleep for a while. it had taken a while and she is slowly staying asleep longer. it is frustrating, but she is slowly learning, or aquiring the ability to resettle herself to sleep when she waked up. someone said on here that babies start in their dream sleep and when they switch to their deep sleep if they aren't in the position they fell asleep in then they wake up. I cuddle with her for 20 mins, then try to put her down once she's in her deep sleep and it seems to work for me. we are still elarning from each other but I hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"