Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Early establishing of an EASY routine...

I have a 2 week old and I'm trying to loosely begin an Eat, Activity, Sleep, (you) routine. I don't fight him if he falls asleep after a meal- or force him to stay awake for an activity, but at least 2xs a day, he stays awake after a feeding (I feed every 2-2 1/2 hours, generally, on demand if he wants more). So, on those occasions, I do tummy time, read, hang out on the activity mat, or do some chores while wearing him and narrate what I'm doing. After about an hour of this, he generally starts yawing, or showing other signs of being tired, so I put him down in his swing on his own for the last hour. He usually doesn't fall asleep, so I'm using it as "down time" for him- the house is quiter, I don't really talk or sing to him, etc. If he started sounds annoyed or bored, or hungry, obviously, I would never ignore him or try to let him CIO (yet), but he seems perfectly content to swing in his little lamb swing (swinging like a cradle) and look around, for about an hour, then he starts to make noise and we eat. Is this OK? Should I be spending more time interacting with him? Or give him, say 10 minutes to fall asleep and if he doesn't, get him up and engage him? This newborn stuff is HARD- am I overstimulating him? Am I understimulating him? What if he never talks because I put him in the swing for quiet time this early on in his life? (OK, that last one was a joke, but I swear, I feel like everything I do is going to make or break some milestone for him.)
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Early establishing of an EASY routine...

• Not that I'm an expert, but I would try harder to get him to sleep after the awake time. Babies that young usually can't handle being awake more than 60-90 minutes before they start to get overly tired and have a harder time falling asleep. (My child hates sleep, so overtired is something I know all too well!) Try to rock him, rub his forehead, etc. to get him to fall asleep--you can't spoil him at this point, so do whatever it takes to help him sleep. He needs his rest!
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think structure this early on benefits you more than it benefits him. I was always told that babies can't follow a schedule for the first couple of months. I tried to use a schedule like that but my ped said not to fret if it just wasn't working. My LO had jaundice and was sleepy all of the time so I took every opportunity for face-time and interaction.

You can't spoil a baby when they are so young and why not take advantage of their brains being so thirsty for stimulation. There is something to be said about time to yourself though. It's a funny balance but I don't think you can go wrong. It seems like you have great intentions. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think your looking way to deep into all of it.  Don't stress yourself out.  It sounds like you are doing well, and taking great care of him.  Take his cues, and it will be fine.  If he is content in the swing and not crying....then that is totally fine.  I think you are interacting great with him.  Routines are hard to establish before 2 months btw so dont get frustrated.  Newborns have no self soothing mechanism whatsoever...so whatever works for you until 2 months is great.  Around 2 months is when it is good to start routines and when habits start to be formed. 

Your doing great mommy!  I promise that leaving your child in the swing for a little while is not going to cause him not to talk :)  Dont get too caught up in all of it...your son will tell you what he wants, when he wants it :)

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • For the EASY routine the activity can be changing the diaper.  So don't stress out too much that you're not doing enough for your baby.  Right now, your main goal is to make sure he is fed, changed and sleeps.  If you're doing anything above and beyond that you get a gold star! :)  I agree with the above poster, try to get your little guy to sleep.  Right now he should be up less than an hour and this includes eating, diaper changes and falling asleep time.  It's possible that your little guy is not falling asleep in the swing because he has been up too long.  When my LO was born I found it really hard to do any activities because it took too long for her to eat.  You're doing great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"