Trouble TTC

CSA Thoughts? (N3TR)

I learned about CSA's (community supported agriculture) late last summer.  I really want to do one this year, and there's a great one really close to my house.  I'm only hesitant about the price.  I think I would only do a half share (every other week pick up) since it's just the 2 of us, but it's still $345 for 10 weeks.  I love the idea of supporting local farmers and eating fresh, local veggies, but I don't know.

Do any of you do CSA?  Do you think the $345 would be worth it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: CSA Thoughts? (N3TR)

• I would love to do that! That is so worth it.
  • We do it but we do half a share and split it with another couple. Depending on where you are and what time a year it is, sometimes there is just too much kale (or whatever is in season at the time)!

We also do one with fresh fish and shrimp (split that one too!)

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • we're thinking of doing that too!  I haven't done too much research but I think $345 sounds like a good price.
  • I have a couple of friends that do this every year.  One of them finds it a bit difficult sometimes because you don't always get things you use and she has her own garden (last year she ended up with more zucchini that she knew what to do with -- I got a few loafs of zucchini bread out of it).  But, her family has tried a whole bunch of new dishes because of it.

The other friend's CSA was run a bit differently.  Hers included farm fresh eggs and milk and cheeses.  She absolutely loved it.

Let me know how it goes!  I have been trying to get MH convinced that we should give one a try.

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• Thanks for your input, ladies!  The CSA I'm thinking about doing gives recipes with each week to go with the veggies.  I love the idea of using some kind of crazy veggie I've never thought about using before (celeric root, anyone??).

I've seen better variety CSA's around (like with eggs, jams, cheese, etc), but this one is really close to our new place.

• i do something similar to that 

https://suburbanorganics.com/ 

totally worth it! 

• We did one for awhile, it was $30 per box. We ended up doing it every other week, because with just the two of us, even with me cooking dinner 5 nights a week, we couldn't keep up. Ours was mostly local stuff in the summer, but in the winter they purchased items from an organic co-op, so it wasn't all local. It was great variety though. I really enjoyed having it, the veggies were so fresh and my favorite part was the random veggies I had never heard of and figuring out how to use them. 

I now *love* kale and beets, which I never would have thought to buy. The only reason we stopped was because we had to cut back financially once we started IF treatments. I had to choose acupuncture or the CSA.  I think I'll go back to the CSA once summer comes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi, I had a friend do that and she enjoyed it.  I could be wrong but I think it was like $25/week.

I was just butting in because I recognize your SN.  I was wondering if MSC is still around on the boards?  Do you know?

• I live in the sticks and my father plants a major garden with veggies for the whole year. My mom cans the veggies. I really need to learn the trade of canning.

I think if I didn't have the luxury of a gardening father, then the deal that you describe would be optimal. I think it sounds like a pretty good price. Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"