Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

What would u do

My HCG levels are staying the same so the Dr. says i will miscarry.  She suggests i miscarry on my own, take pills to speed the process, or have a d&c.  i want to be done with with all but have never been put out and am scared to death.  I would appreciate any advice

Re: What would u do

• Options
    I started with the pills (cytotec) and they didnt work for me so i was scheduled for a D&C.  In the process I started miscarrying on my own which is the worst thing I have every experienced.  I have never been in so much pain before.  I ended up have the D&C and if I could go back I would have had the D&C in the first place.  I was scared too, but once I got the IV I didnt know what was going on.  It was very simple and alot less painful.  I had some cramping and bleeding after for about 4 days and then it was gone.  Now 31 days later I just got AF this morning.  Good Luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #1 11/18/10 EDD 7/25/11 MMC 1/7/11 D&C 1/27/11 BFP #2 8/21/11 EDD 4/29/12 DD#1 4/19/12
  • Options

First of all I'm very sorry for your loss. Secondly, I can tell you what I did choose to do but ultimately it will be up to you to make the decision that is best for you.

My first miscarriage was a missed miscarriage. It turned out the baby stopped growing at 6w1d. For over 4 weeks my body never gave any clue at all that something was wrong. I opted to get things started because I wasn't sure how much longer it would take for my body to get the hint and do something. I tried cytotec first and it didn't work for me either. I did start bleeding a good bit but no cramps and nothing was actually passed. So I ended up with a D&C the very next day.

I can honestly say the D&C was a piece of cake physically. No pain at all afterward for me. I didn't even need the pain meds I was prescribed. That being said I always wished I could have miscarried naturally...I can't really explain why but it just felt like the right thing would have been to have my body take care of things naturally. It seems like it might have been more healing...for me. 

The second time around the only reason I chose a D&C was because I knew there was a much better chance of being able to get testing done on our baby if I had a D&C. But I still hate that I couldn't let my body do what it was supposed to do. It felt like I was failing at that part too....I know that may not make sense but just sharing what my thoughts were at that time.

I hope you can make the decision that is best for you. All options have their pros and cons. 

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had a missed mc discovered at 10w1d, and the baby had stopped growing a week earlier.  It was a huge shock, since until then we'd been seeing the hb, and everything was going well.

My regular doctor wasn't there that day, but the one who came in to tell us our options was very nice, and looked at when my doctor was scheduled in the hospital.. it was a Wed. and my doc was at the hospital that Fri.  She said if I wanted a D&C she'd get me on the schedule right away.

She described what would happen if I were to let things take there course, and in the middle of her short description, I just stopped her and said I wanted the surgery. I didn't want to see everything pass, and wait who knows how long for it to start.  I was still having all the pregnancy symptoms - bad m/s, etc and I just couldn't handle continuing to go through that, knowing I was just waiting to start bleeding. I also felt like since things would be over physically, I'd be able to move on faster, mentally as well, but everyone is different.

As far as the surgery itself, that was the best part of this whole ordeal.  I'd never had so much as an IV before.  All the doctors and nurses and anesthesiologists were crazy-nice, and all said how sorry they were I was there... The main nurse who was with me shared with me that she'd been through it twice, and that really helped me.  It was a little scary having to walk myself into the OR, but once I laid down, I was out.  I woke up feeling a huge sense of relief. 

Recovery hasn't been so bad either... I bled for two days, and I'm still spotting off and on, but I'm only two weeks out.  I used a heating pad and alternated tylenol and ibuprofen for the first few days - I didn't even fill the script for vicodin they gave me.

Anyway, God-forbid it happens again, I'd definitely choose the D&C if I haven't already started bleeding on my own.  I'm glad I chose it this time.  Good luck, whatever you decide, and hopefully you can get some info and comfort here.

dx: PCOS
    Clomid + Met = BFP#1 12/27/10, missed MC discovered 2/9/11, d&c 2/11/11, 10w3d
    Natural cycle (just Met) = BFP#2 6/3/11, Baby A arrived 2/16/12
    <a href="http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i390/tlneff0108/?action=view
  • Options
    I would have taken the D/C given the option. I have been heavily bleeding for almost two weeks and you see everything the clots and all. My back pain and cramps are incredible that it makes it hard to sleep at night. I also find that it is hard to try and be "normal" again when everything about my body is so NOT normal. I would give anything for the bleeding to stop and the cramps and back aches to go away, if you can go with the surgery and physically recover in a few days it would help with mentally trying to recover. Just my opinion but my T's and P's are with you i am so sorry for your loss.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I would do the D&C. For my first miscarriage, I passed everything and the sight of the fetus in the sac that I passed will be forever burned in my memory- to me that is something a woman should never have to see. Though that was my baby, I wish I could take that sight back and have done a D&C (I was not given the option because when I had my last u/s there was still a heartbeat and was told there was no visible cause for the bleeding and to come back if things got worse. Things didnt get much worse- actually the bleeding lessened which gave me some hope, but unfortunitly I ended up passing everything before I was seen again).

This time I am doing a D&C so there is a better chance they can do some testing on the tissue (I have a blighted ovum so there is no actual embryo), and since I am not spotting or cramping I feel the D&C will take much less time.

~TTC #1 7/1/10~
    BFP#1 10/8/10- Natural m/c 11/24/10, Unknown cause
    BFP#2 1/31/11- Blighted Ovum D&C 3/3/11, XX Trisomy 22
    BFP#3 3/30/12- Ectopic Pregnancy, discovered @ 8wk
    BFP#4 10/2/12
  • Options

i have been through both a natural m/c and a d&c....

I had the the D&C recommended to me because i had a missed m/c and had no signs other than a trace amount of bleeding (ironically after the D&C was scheduled).  The procedure went fine, and I did have cramping and bleeding afterwards (and I never get cramps during normal AF).  Physically everything healed fast with the D&C, emotionally things took longer.

During my natural m/c (dr was going to recommend a D&C again but we were waiting for one final u/s to confirm non-viablility) i had some bleeding ahead of time and one morning of cramps.  I had only this light bleeding / spotting for a few days and then I felt pretty bad cramps (intense - similiar to when I was induced with pitocin before the epidural) but tolerable.  They passed after an hour or two and then I stood up to get something and everything just came out (sorry TMI but if this is the way you should know).  I knew immediately what had happened and went to the bathroom when i confirmed the sac had passed.  It was a bit disturbing knowing everything occurring in my body at the time, but I also felt confirmation that this is final and that my body was done with this pregnancy.  Last time with the missed m/c I still had a slim glimmer of hope (in my head) that possibly things would work out or that I had been misdiagnosed.  I know that is not the reality, but the natural m/c realize the finality of it. 

good luck with your decision

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first angel, 10/24/08 7w6d
    Proud mama to Cameron
    Lost our second angel, 2/16/11 8w
    Proud mama to Melanie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"