Baby Names

name claiming

So... When I first got pregnant my best friend and I were talking about baby names. She told me when she has kids (she is currently single, no plans for kids in the near future) her name list is Carter, Connor, Ava, and Avery. She told me she likes the name Collin but that "I could use it if I wanted to". Well, now Collin is the only boy name my husband and I can agree on. My husband LOVES the name (and thought of it on his own). Last night we went to dinner with my friend and she was trying to guess (we aren't telling anyone) the name we have picked out for the baby. She asked if we planned on naming the baby Carter, Connor, or Collin and we told her no (although we are planning on using Collin if it's a boy). Her response was "good. those are the names I plan on using." First of all, I don't think you can "claim" a name until you are pregnant or atleast TTC. Second, I didn't think that Collin was on her "list" until she said it last night. I just thought she liked it. Now it feels like I'm taking one of her names! I would never use the other names she has picked out even though I really like some of them. What would you guys do? Look for a new name? Use the name anyway? Should I talk to her ahead of time and tell her we plan on using it? I hate to do that because we really don't want to share our names with anyone! 

Re: name claiming

• She'll get over it. Plus, does she really think she's going to have 3 boys and 2 girls exactly, with essentially the same kind of names?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • haha.. exactly. she wants 3 kids and picked 5 names. normally i wouldn't care. i think it's the hormones. :)

• Loading the player...
  • And, when she gets married and her husband's LN is Bawlin, she's going to name her son Collin?

There's no name-claiming.  There are so many unknown factors in your friend's future that I'd tell her that it's nunya biz what we're naming our kids until they're born.

Above and beyond her unknown husband's LN, there's also a chance that her DH hates the name Collin, or she dates a guy between now and then whose name is Collin, and he cheats on her.  Thus, she hates the name.

Name your DS a name that you and your DH LOVE.  Forget everyone else. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • She doesn't own the name Collin, so it's not like you have to ask her permission or get her approval. If you're planning to find out the gender and your baby is a boy, then you might mention to her that you are planning to name him Collin, but only because she specifically asked and you said no. By the time she has her own child (assuming it's a boy), her taste may have changed and she might be interested in another name and not so much into Collin anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If she's that immature that she'd get upset and throw a fit about a name she *might* someday use, I bet you'll be friends with your son much longer than her. Use the name you love or else risk regret. I would wait to make sure you use it and then tell it to her when he is born. Hopefully the new baby will soften the blow for her.
    Aloisia Sofia (35 weeks) 08/05/09 || Rosemarie (Romy) Elisabeth (32 weeks 6 days) 01/23/11.
  • There is absolutely no reason you can't *both* name your (hypothetical) sons Collin if you want to.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • I agree with previous poster, although nobody "owns" a name, if there was ONE particular name she was in love with and it was Colin and her wwhhooolllleeee life she just wanted to name her child Colin., then (for the sake of your friendship) I would let her "own" it

but she can't claim five names!!!!

As a guilty as charged "name claimer" myself, I realized when I got married that DH hated all the names I had adored forever!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Use the name if you like it. I don't think you can claim a future name. It's one thing if she were in the situation but a lot can change between now and then for her. I say go for it!
  • My friend is the same way, thinks that everyone is stealing the names that she picked (even if they had the name picked out before she got pregnant). I say name him Collin and call it good. Tell her that it was the only one your DH liked. She will probably be pissed at first but she will eventually get over it. If you were to ask me years ago (before being with SO) I would have said that I was going to have a Jordyn, Mason, and Gracelyn. Now, 5 years later, I would never name my kid those names....and now that I have to actually consider someone else's name choices and opinions, that just makes it even harder. She may end up being with someone who hates her name choices with a passion and they will end up with kids with totally different names.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • My mother and her SIL (my aunt, of course) were having babies at the same times.  My mother planned on naming my sister Holly, it was a known fact.  My aunt had her baby 4 DAYS before mom.  Guess what her name is...  And they still love each other as friends, and sister in laws.  They never let it come between them.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • I agree with you guys and I'm sure we will stick with Collin. I agree that situations change and so do opinions. I am 34 weeks and we have had this name picked out since I was about 20 weeks. I can't let her influence our decision. IF the baby is a boy I will talk to her about the name..I  tend to be a people pleaser and don't want to upset her. My husband told me I need to grow a pair. I'm sure it will be a girl after thinking about all of  this so much. :) This is what I get for keeping the names to ourselves! Had I told her from the beginning it was our name this wouldn't be an issue!
  • If we have a boy we are going to name him Collin Reid! LOVE Collin and yes you should absolutely name your child that. If your friend is any kind of true friend she will get over it. I would maybe just tell her though and tell her to not tell a soul. Just to give her heads up:) great name!! Go for it!!

• Doesn't really sound like a friend.
  • Claiming five names? Your friend sounds like a nut. I'd absolutely use Collin, and I wouldn't bother getting her "approval." Who's to say she'll even have one boy, let alone three? How obnoxious.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • use it....if she really likes Collin she will still use it...who ares if you both have boys name collin...there are thousands of collins in the world.
  • There is no claiming a name.  There are tons of Collin's out there and it's a name that's been around awhile, so it's not like it's a super original name that barely anyone has.  My DH had a similar issue.  At his bachelor party his friend (who he's seen maybe once in 5 years) had a wife who was pregnant.  DH and friend start discussing baby names and said when we get pregnant, if it's a boy his name will be Everett.  Cut to 4 months later and friend has a boy, named Everett.  DH was livid.  I just blew it off.  So there is more than one baby named Everett in a circle of friends who live all over the country.  It doesn't matter.  We are still using it and not changing our minds just because a friend used it.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She'll get over it. Plus, she has 2 other boy names to use if she has 2 boy names. Use what you want; you're the one having the baby NOW.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"