Multiples

reflux babies & prevacid users, question for ya :-)

Its been a while since I have posted, 3 under 3 is keeping me pretty busy to say the least lol

The twins have reflux and have been on prevacid since they were 2 months old. Kaleb gets cereal in his bottles and was doing great until about 2 weeks ago...suddenly he went from eating about 30-32 oz/day to 18-20, which is still sufficient amount and he is not losing weight, he is actually gaining. The pediatrician is not worried and said it could be reflux and we could increase the prevacid if we wanted to.

My question is this, he already gets 1/2 tab twice a day. Pediatrician suggested increasing to 2 tab/day. I was thinking of starting with another 1/2 tab a day. For ex., give 1/2 tab in morning, lunch and then bedtime. From your experience does it make a difference when the meds are given?

Do you think it would matter if I gave the 1/2 tabs 3x/ day or just 2 tabs a day in a.m./p.m.? 

I give the meds 20-30 minutes before he eats, he sits on incline ...all the reflux stuff. My first son had reflux too so I am pretty familiar with that.

TIA! maybe its just teething or something but its been a couple weeks and I am worried he is pain from reflux, so I just want to make sure :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: reflux babies & prevacid users, question for ya :-)

• i'm a former prevacid rep - and pardon me if i've replied to you with this info before (i can't keep track)

but the solutabs are not made to be split- docs do it all the time- but you can't ever know if you are giving a true 1/2 dose b/c the active ingredients are not necessarily evenly distributed.... you also risk breaking some of the microgranules when you split the solutabs - which makes those granules ineffective..... At 5mo I would not want to put my baby on a 30mg dose --- it's considered quite safe, but I still would rather go with a 15mg solutab whole in the morning- and then zantac at night - this is commonly done, and works well for many.  Or, since you have the solutabs already- do one whole solutab in the morning and a 1/2 at night.  My thought here is that the whole solutab has  a better chance of being a good dose to help your babies. It usually works for 24 hours- but children metabolize faster than adults- so often they need something else at night (hence, using the zantac).

is he screaming in pain when eating or just not wanting as much? If there doesn't seem to be pain or more spit up - i wouldn't even worry too much about it being reflux- as long as he's gaining fine.... babies will eb and flow with what they take in, as they have growth spurts and not, etc.

HTH

• Both of my twins had reflux.  They were on zantac and prevacid.  DS was the vomit/spit up king and anytime his symptoms would worsen, we'd up his amount of zantac.  He took it 3 times a day. 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"