Washington Babies
Options

How did you announce your pregnancy?

This is one of the most exciting parts I am looking forward to once we get pregnant - announcing the news to our loved ones. I am curious how you gals broke the news to Mom/Dad, Siblings, Grandparents etc? Oh and also to your boss/coworkers?

Jenn + Jayson Married August 2007 TTC since December 2010 image

Re: How did you announce your pregnancy?

• Options

I found out I was pregnant with Ella a week before my Dad's birthday so I made a card that said, "Happy Birthday Grandpa!" My dad had this huge smile on his face and my mom was like what's going on? :)

SIL broke the news to us that she was pregnant by framing the 1st ultrasound picture and having us and MIL and FIL open them all at the same time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We gave my parents a book about picking their grandparent names.  For DH's parents, I bought them a cute little pocket calendar, circled my due date, and wrote "Meet your newest grandchild."  We told his siblings and their wives at Christmas (just told them I was pregnant) and told my brother over the phone, so nothing exciting there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My friends and my sister knew we were doing IVF.  So, when I had the first beta back, I told them it was positive.  We were most excited after the first u/s (6 wks) and seeing a heartbeat.  I told everyone about the heartbeat and that was like making the big announcement.  I didn't do anything clever, though. It was phone, text, online, or email messages.

We told our parents with framed pictures of the 9 week ultrasound.  We also borrowed Misha's idea and gave my MIL the same book about grandparent names and my parents got a digital frame pre-loaded with family pics, including the u/s picture.  My mom cried and got all squeaky on the phone (they live OOT).  MIL acted like no big deal except when the waitress took her order (we were out to dinner), she announced she was going to be a grandmother again.

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Options

We announced to them on Father's Day, so we just wrapped 2 of these up and gave one to FIL and one to my Dad and let them figure it out from there =) 

imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Options

It was near Christmas when we were announcing to everyone so we made this for both sets of parents & made them open it up together (My Mum was SHOCKED!)

And we had a christmas gtg with all our close friends & during it we brought this out -

It was so much fun seeing everyone's faces! Can't wait till next time :)

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Options
    We told my parents by framing out first ultrasound and giving it to them as an anniversary gift. They were shocked and thrilled! I guess my mom had almost given up hope that we'd have kids. Everyone else we just told after the first trimester.
    Rachael and Tim - est. 10.2.04 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

we invited our closest friends and family to dinner (at a pizza place - fairly casual so that we didn't tip people off).  We then had a nice dinner and played a trivia game.  First 10 questions were random "how did we meet" blah blah blah and we handed out candy prizes to people who had the most 'us trivia" right.  We then had a 'bonus question"  It was in the form of a jeopardy answer/question.  DH held up the 'answer' of July 6, 2011 and people called out guesses.  We finally announced - it's our DUE DATE!   Everyone was excited...except my mom who thought it was a joke.  I had to tell her it wasn't a joke...then she started getting super excited and crying.

It was a great day for us!

Everyone else got a phone call or a text and then I posted on FB: "we are expanding our house by 2 feet in July" and most people got it and congratulated us. 

• Options
    image~Lynchie~:

We announced to them on Father's Day, so we just wrapped 2 of these up and gave one to FIL and one to my Dad and let them figure it out from there =) 

I love this idea. We made our parents shirts that said "Grandma to Be" and "Grandpa in Training" and gave them to them.

This time around, I called my parents and brothers to tell them. We'll find a cute way to tell my grandparents this weekend, probably. I'm waiting to share on Facebook and to friends until we see the heartbeat. It's hard to keep a secret though! :-) Everyone else will probably see a picture of the ultrasound or the tests. Not sure yet. Still brainstorming. 

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

With H's dad, he was coming over to take us out to dinner, so we had the server stick our u/s picture in the wine list.  He was SO excited, and then said, "Well, I guess this means you're not going to share the bottle with me this time."

We couldn't get together with my parents or H's mom, and couldn't wait, so we called and asked them if they were busy around Thanksgiving to come and visit the THREE of us.  It took them a few minutes to figure out. We sent the u/s photo via text to all of our siblings.

I told my boss privately.  Then at our next teachers' meeting, I baked a bunch of buns and brought them in.  When it was my turn to talk, I just said, "All I have to say is that there's only one bun left in my oven!"

When I got home that day, I posted on FB something similar: "If you like buns, we've got one in the oven."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I took a pic of my positive pregnancy test, bought the grandparents binkies and wrapped them in a gift bag.  We had just returned from Hawaii, so everyone was expecting gifts anyway and we snuck them in with the bags of cookies and Hawaiian mementos :)

ETA: At work, I am required by contract to notify my supervisor, so I just made sure I went to my boss first and told him in private, then the next boss up since we are friends.  I didn't want it getting to my friends first and then back to my bosses, as I could get in trouble for breaking chain of command. 

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well since we were very caught off guard, my sister got a phone call that night with me freaking out. For H's parents we bought a little onesie with a cute granparents sayong on it and gave it to them. MIL opened it, looked at it, then took a second for it to click, then started crying. She made H call all of his siblings right then to tell them. We waited to tell my parents until after the first u/s due to potential complications I had been warned about previously since I knew they would have a ton of questions. They just got a cute phone call. I was outed on facebook by accident.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

With #1,we gave my mom a kids book about Grandma coming to visit with the u/s picture inside.

WIth #1 for ILs we made a video of family pictures falling into place on a family tree with the u/s pic falling last. It turned out cute. 

With #2, we took pics of DD holding the  u./s pic with her "Big Sister" shirt on. THey all loved it.

• Options
    imageLauraLynneC:

we invited our closest friends and family to dinner (at a pizza place - fairly casual so that we didn't tip people off).  We then had a nice dinner and played a trivia game.  First 10 questions were random "how did we meet" blah blah blah and we handed out candy prizes to people who had the most 'us trivia" right.  We then had a 'bonus question"  It was in the form of a jeopardy answer/question.  DH held up the 'answer' of July 6, 2011 and people called out guesses.  We finally announced - it's our DUE DATE!   Everyone was excited...except my mom who thought it was a joke.  I had to tell her it wasn't a joke...then she started getting super excited and crying.

It was a great day for us!

Everyone else got a phone call or a text and then I posted on FB: "we are expanding our house by 2 feet in July" and most people got it and congratulated us.

Those are both very clever!

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Options

How I told:

DH:  As he walked in the door after coming home from work.  I made him go look at the pee stick to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

BFF:  About 2 hours (and 2 pee sticks) later.

Parents:  Over the phone, 12 days after I told DH and about 10 hours after our first ultrasound, which revealed we were having twins.

Boss/Co-workers:  I told our HR person after I hit 2nd tri, just in case things didn't work out.  I told her that I needed to take off in October for maternity leave and she freaked out, in a good way.  I told my bosses the same day and I knew that I didn't need to tell co-workers because our HR person was doing that for me (with my permission).

So nothing cutesy or special. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options

We gave my parents a bib that had some "grandpa" saying on it.
    We sent MIL a flower basket with "Happy Birthday Grandma" (Emily is their first grandchild)

Told rest of the family at Easter.
    Posted "Bake at 98.6 for 40 weeks" on Facebook.
    Told boss and skip level in a weekly meeting - let it filter out to the rest of the team.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I gave DH a shirt that said "Daddy drinks because I cry".  I wrapped it up and gave utit to him on his last day of school, right after I got a BFP.  We told my parents with a Father's Day card.  I got a horribly sappy card and wrote something like "and I'm sure you will be a good grandpa too".  My dad started crying and handed it to my mom who was speechless (something I have never in my life seen).  I wasn't sure she was excited till a few months later.  DH called his dad grandpa at dinner with everyone there.  They were all clearly excited.  One of my cousins was bugging me about when we were going to have kids so I said soon.  Then she guessed that I was PG and I begged her not to tell since it was only week 6 or so.  I told bosses at work in person or on the phone after I had to miss a day of work for an u/s due to bleeding at 11 weeks.  I had the u/s pics to show them.  Told the rest of my coworkers at a goodbye party for one of my employees.  Got DH to take a picture of all of us and he said "Say Katherine's Pregnant" instead of cheese.  The reactions were hilarious!  From "oh no!" to "really?" and a few people who took a minute or two to figure it out.  Then I put a picture of a huge cinnamon bun on facebook as my profile pic.
  • Options

For my parents we took a picture of my niece holding a sign that said "I love my cousin" and put it in a frame for them.

For DH's parents I took a plain white onesie and with pink and blue fabric paint I wrote "Due 11-2-2010" on it and mailed it to them (they live OOT).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"