Cincinnati Babies

PTing/Moving out of crib

Blah.  I don't want to do either.  Personally I love diapers.  Maybe it's because I had such a bad experience with the little boy who was being PTed who I watched last year.  (Remember that?)  But anyways, no accidents.  One less thing to do before we leave the house.  I don't have to know where the nearest restroom is when we're out.  And I only change her 4-5 times per day now, I'm sure trips to the potty are going to be more frequent and take longer...

And I love her crib!  She can't climb out of it.  She sleeps through the night.  When she wakes up on the weekends and after naps she will read and play in her crib for at least 15-30 min.  Life is easy right now (well at least with these 2 things).

Ok no more rambling, here's my questions.  Do you need to move to a big girl/big boy bed before PTing?  I will definitely start PTing in June... maybe before.  She is showing lots of readiness signs now, but I feel like waiting a bit may make it even easier.    I know you are supposed to put a pull-up on at night, but do some of your children wake up to go to the bathroom?  I feel like switching to a bed makes the most sense so she can head to the bathroom by herself if needed.

However, since she shares her room with another 2 year old during nap time, I feel like I will keep my sanity if I keep them sleeping in their cribs until the school year ends.   It works well for now and then in June she will be able to practice taking naps in her room by herself in a big girl bed before she has to share her room again when the school year starts.

So... if I do a little bit of PTing before June, is that totally going to screw her up at nighttime?  And naptime?  I don't want to set myself up for years of bedwetting.  Thanks for any advice!

Re: PTing/Moving out of crib

• Nighttime PTing took a bit longer for us so it didn't matter that he was still in his crib since we had him in diapers at night.  Sometimes he would yell out that he needed to go and we would just get up and take him to the potty.  We finally moved our son out of his crib when it just seemed too small for him. I am all for staying in the crib as long as possible, especially if your child sleeps well there.
  • we just stched Griffin to the toddler bed about a month ago and we started PTing last summer.  I didn't worry about him need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night because he has been dry at night for well over a year before we started PTing.  So, don't worry about the order you tackle these tasks in.

I was sort of in your position at the beginning of last summer and was very overwhelmed too.  But, add the battle over the paci to the mix, and that is where I was.  Now he is doing pretty well with PTing (except for poop), and sleeping in his bed full time now.  The paci is still in the picture, but it will be gone soon.

Griffin did really well with the transition to the bed from the crib.  I was soooooo loving having him in the crib just for the selfish reason that it let me sleep longer:)  But, now he still sits in the bed waiting for me to come and get him out.  He very rarely roams the room.  We put a gaite on the other side of his door so he cannot get out while we are sleeping, but it hasn't even been an issue since he doesn't even open the door.

With Pting it is more work at first with trying to get him to go before we leave home and trying to find the restroom at every place we go, but he did get into a pattern of when he needs to go and it goes much more smoothly now.

Don't worry.  I'm sure these transitions will go better than you think.

Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"