Natural Birth
Options

Conflicting info from MW advice...kinda long

Okay so my MW suggested that I start drinking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea [RRLT] or at least take a red raspberry leaf supplement.

Background info on RRLT: "Brewed as a tea or as an infusion, raspberry leaf is one of the safest and commonly used tonic herbs for women wanting to get pregnant or for women who are already pregnant. Red Raspberry Leaf (Rubus idaeus) tones the uterus, improves contractions and decreases constipation."

My MW pretty much said the same thing. I asked her when I should start taking it and she said that she made an entire gallon everyday and drank it throughout her pregnancy...I like to think in numbers and I was like WOW a gallon of tea, 8 glasses of water and a glass of milk or juice....I am NEVER going to see the outside of the bathroom

So I asked her "Do I really need to drink a gallon every day? I mean at some point, doesn't the benefit like level out--there should be a maximun point that you reach where eventually the red raspberry leaf has done everything to tone your uterus...no matter how much more you drink"

And she was like "Well yes, but I dunno what that point is so I just drank as much as I could...and you should really drink it too...everyday!"

So I looked into it and almost everything I find says this "Before pregnancy, drink 2 cups per day. Abstain during first trimester and begin again at 35 weeks. By resuming at 35 weeks it has been studied to help reduce labor pains. In extremely high doses, raspberry leaf may cause muscles in the uterus to contract or relax, therefore a miscarriage could occur. It is important to only take what is recommended."

(The credentials of the person who said this: I am a Certified Natural Health Consultant & Certified Herbalist. I am a good standing member of the American Herbalist Guild, American Botanical Council and Flower Essence Society. I am also a member of the Keyport Business Alliance and National Home Gardening Club.I have studied and used herbs for over 14 years and began at a young age with the help of my Grandmother. Herbalism is a tradition in my family and I respect the healing herbs offer.)

What would you do? I'm only 24 weeks pregnant and even though I trust my MW, I'm not so sure I feel comfortable with this advice from her...Thoughts, comments? TIA! (sorry it was so long)

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket

Re: Conflicting info from MW advice...kinda long

• Options

when did she tell you to start drinking?  i think it's great and that you should, but i'm not sure about a gallon a day.  keep in mind that tea contains a lot of water, obviously, and so if you were to drink that much tea you would not also need to drink 8 glasses of water daily. 

i would settle for a happy medium and drink one or two cups of tea a day, if you can get a little more in then great, a little less is fine too.  everything in moderation is usually a good idea. 

now, i do recommend that women drink half their body weight in ounces of water per day, plus 30 ounces for baby, less water intake if they are also drinking a large amount of tea/juice...etc.  however, we know that water is best.  so that can be a lot, but i always told them to just do their best and make it a goal to shoot for.  i think we need to be realistic. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTexas77again:

when did she tell you to start drinking? 

She told me I should start now (at 24 weeks) since I had not started during first trimester, which is when she usually tells other people to start

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i would say that if you are uncomfortable doing it at this point in your pg then don't.  trust your best judgement, it's not like a 100% guarantee that your labor will be better if you do it.  plus you'll still have plenty of time to get it in later in your pg when you feel safer. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't have much experience with RLT as I only drank a handful of cups in my third trimester (I had a straight forward 7 hour labour)

I just wanted to second what the pp said about trusting your judgement.

If you don't feel comfortable drinking it then don't. You can drink it later if you feel that's something you want to do, but no harm will come from delaying drinking it.

best of luck with your pregnancy. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

I try to drink a cup or two a day, with some other herbs thrown in (and spearmint!). I pretty much just drink my pregnancy tea instead of other teas. Maybe it will help and maybe it won't. My MW said she would make a stronger recommendation drink this if I'd had multiple previous pregnancies (in which case my uterus needed toning). Basically, she said it's good to drink, but not something to stress over.

Your MW's basis for drinking a gallon sounds completely unquantified (more is better?), so I wouldn't put too much energy into meeting that goal. No matter what you do, it's not going to be a magic bullet. My only real advice on this is Spearmint. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My MWs told me straight RRL tea wasn't necessary for a normal woman.  They have me drinking a blend of RRL, nettles, rosehips and spearmint.  I am supposed to drink three glasses per day and they had me start sometime in my 2nd trimester.

• Options

I drink the "mother to be" tea by Yogi and I love it. The taste is really good. I try to drink 1-2 cups per day.

Ingredients
    Organic Raspberry Leaf, Organic Peppermint Leaf, Organic Stinging Nettle Leaf, Organic Spearmint Leaf, Organic Dandelion Root, Natural Lemon Flavor, Organic Anise Seed, Organic Cardamom Seed.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My midwife said to start drinking it at 37 weeks with #1. I'm going to start earlier this time. 
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options

Do what you feel most comfortable with... My MIL drank about a gallon a day during all 8 of her pregnancies also (starting when she got the positive result). Personally, I don't think drinking a gallon vs 2-3 cups produces better results. As for its safety, that is your decision. There are just as many "studies" or opinions on when you should start drinking it and how much as there are with anything else. What I personally have gathered is that after your first tri, your fine.

• Options

Dude, a gallon a day?  When are you supposed to squeeze in just plain old water? 

I'd go by the 2 cup advice, personally.

• Options
    I drink a similar tea to the yogi brand called organic pregnancy tea (original, I know) by traditional medicinals.  It was RRL and lots of other good, nutritious herbs too.  Like some of the PPs, I just replaced my regular tea with that and have 1 or 2 cups a day.  I've been drinking it since my bfp.
    Caroline 5/15/11
  • Options
    My MW said 1-3 cups a day and it's okay during first tri...but I was at the end of my first tri when I met with her.  She also recommended switching to or adding Nettle tea during the 3rd tri for leg cramps and preparing for labor.  I can tell you a cup a day of Nettle at the end saved me from leg cramps...I only got them twice and it was when I didn't drink any.
  • Options
    FWIW, tea has water in it. You do not have to drink the tea AND 8 glasses of water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My MW also does a bunch of herbs together RRL, Nettles, Rose hips, spearmint etc....

From what I researched there isn't a large chance of miscarriage before 12 weeks but remember that is when most miscarriages happen, there is really no way to know if it was tea or not.

After 12 weeks is perfectly fine to start, RRL Tones your uterus it doesn't GIVE you contractions (from the research I've done) Just like drinking a whole bunch of RRL tea isn't going to send you into labor at the end.

So if you are concerned waiting until after your first tri is fine and then I'd look at drinking 2 cups a day ( I was so sick of it I wanted nothing to do with it but I drank it anyways)

GL

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"