Trouble TTC

New to this board and new to Clomid

Hi everyone.  I'm slowly moving towards this board from TTGP as my periods are wacky and I am still in the process of finding out why. DH and I have been TTGP since Sept 2010 and I haven't had my own period yet. I was on Provera, got a period from that on 1/16/11, and nothing since then. My ob/gyn wants me to do another round of Provera, but this time with clomid starting day 3 of my period. I have been lurking on this board a little and noticed a lot of concern about being monitored while on clomid. What does the monitoring entail? My ob/gyn is going to do another set of baseline labs (prolactin, FSH, etc) and then 3 weeks after finishing the clomid she wants to do bloodwork to see if I ovulated. Is there anything else she should be doing to monitor me?

Thanks in advance :-) I look forward to joining you ladies here.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New to this board and new to Clomid

• Hi! I'm new to this board also, but i will say that my story sounds a lot like yours. Irregular periods. Went to my ob and he started provera and did 3 rounds of clomid with minimal monitoring. I never ovulated on the clomid and my ob still didn't want to do more testing. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS and made an appt with an RE. If an RE is an option for you, i would skip your ob altogether and go straight there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, she said that if we didn't have success with this first round of clomid, she will be referring me to an RE.

Thanks for your response! Nice to know Im not alone in this journey :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Your story sounds alot like mine. This cycle was the first round for clomide for me as well. The only other test I think would be an ultrasound around CD14 to see if you have any follies. Good Luck
  • Ultrasounds while on Clomid are optional and up to your doctor.  I have done 3 rounds of Clomid and I had CD 21 blood work done to confirm ovulation but no other monitoring.  Good Luck with the process and the start of Clomid.
  • Hello and welcome!

If you're going to be on Clomid, you need more than CD 3 blood work and blood work to see if you ovulated. You should be having regular ultrasounds and blood work starting around CD 10 or CD 11 to monitor how many follicles you have and to measure your uterine lining. Clomid is known to thin the lining and it can thin it so much that you would not be able to sustain a pregnancy, even though sperm met egg. Also, although rare on Clomid, there is a risk of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) which could be serious enough to land you in hospital. Not to mention the risk of high order multiples if you do end up making a lot of follicles (I have seen women on here who have made 6 follicles on just Clomid, although they are more of an exception than the rule, but it is still a possibility). Please, if your OB is not going to monitor you with ultrasound, wait it out and start the meds after you are referred to an RE.

This is not intended to scare you, but the following story is a wake up call for those ladies who take Clomid and do not see the need for monitoring, It is the story of a fellow bumpie.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/37115533/ShowThread.aspx?MsdVisit=1

That being said, I hope your OB agrees to monitor you and I wish you the best of luck :)

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Welcome
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since 3-2008: v/c repair 2009; BFP: 7-2010, m/c 8-2010, c/p 4-2011, BFP: 6-2011 EDD: 2-12-2012?
    "Lovebugs2012"
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Today I am pregnant & I love my baby!
  • Thank you for your advice and warnings! I think I will talk to my doctor more before I actually start it.
  • Welcome! The pp have answered your questions, you need to be highly monitored on clomid and I suggest starting directly with a RE in order to make sure that you are monitored closely.

Good luck on this cycle and hope your stay on this board is short and sweet!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wanted to share my sister's story for you girls who are not being monitored by an RE:

My sister got pg on Clomid with her first DS because she was not getting her period.  They started ttc for #2 a year after their DS was born and her ob put her right back on Clomid again.  I tried to convince her to do this under an RE and/or chart her temps.  She decided not to do either.  I later found out that my sister was getting her period on her own before ttc #2.  She did 4 rounds of clomid with progesterone checks on cd21 showing she was not ovulating.  However, she was getting AF at about the same time each cycle.  Finally, after the 4th round of clomid her ob referred her to an RE.  I convinced my sister to chart her temps that cycle and told her to keep BD'ing until her temp went up.  Lo and behold, she had a temp shift at cd26 all on her own.  She ended up getting pg that cycle. 

Most OB's believe that most women O on cd14 and have 28-day cycles.  Obviously, checking a "7 dpo progesterone" on cd 21 would not show ovulation with my sister because she O's so late...even on Clomid.  Now my sister has been on 7 cycles total of clomid and if they want more children and need Clomid, she will not be able to use it because she's already been on so much already.  Plus, my sister got pg 4 cycles later than she could have if she would have charted or been monitored via u/s by an RE to confirm that she was ovulating.  I hope this helps convince you girls who are doing Clomid under their OB, to go to an RE next cycle.  GL to you all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"