Pre-School and Daycare

Anyone granted PTing exception if kid has IEP?

We have DS's IEP meeting next week to determine his placement and services for next fall. He may not get a spot at the public preschool (too special for a typical slot, maybe not special enough for a SN spot) so we're looking at private schools, where his therapists would travel to him. But...he's pretty behind on adaptive skills, like potty-training. I have very little confidence it will bedone by fall because he's never peed a single drop on a potty (we've been gently trying for 2 years!). Any experience with this?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone granted PTing exception if kid has IEP?

• he's just about to turn 3? he's not behind- there are tons of 3y/o (esp boys) who are not PT'd yet, so i wouldn't worry so much about that.

Now- if the preschools you are trying to get him in require PTing- they might make acceptions for him b/c of his IEP. My nephew is on the spectrum and has been on an IEP since 3y/o - he was not truly PT'd until about 5y/o - but was always in regular preK and K, etc.

good luck - push for what you want!

ETA: i'm confused- your ticker says almost 3y/o but you say you have been trying for over 2 years- so i'm guessing you have another son you don't have a ticker for?

• PP- I think she means actively trying for 2 years. You wouldn't be actively trying the first year.

Problem is that private schools don't have to make any accommodations for IEPs. Public schools certainly do. It's such a shame that your son fall "in between" the categories.

I'd say that there is a good chance they would make the exception, but it doesn't make me hopeful if it is the kind of place that says kids absolutely must be potty trained. PP is right- many 3 y/o kids arent. My DS wasn't ready at 3, just because he's stubborn and could care less about a wet diaper!

I'd look for a school that doesn't make the requirement of PTing. There are many out there, and they seem to be more patient and understanding in general.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks! Yep, I meant we bought a potty when he turned one and have been talking about it and letting him sit on it ever since. With no pressure. I realize that he's not necessarily behind on PTing, but he'll be 3.5 next fall and I'm going to assume he won't be and plan accordingly. Maybe he'll surprise us! That's a good point that the ones who strictly require it may not be a good fit anyway, he needs a patient, low pressure environment. I'm gearing up to possibly be pushy at his IEP meeting. You're right, a private school has no obligation to cater to him, even on the PTing, so if that cuts out all decent options then he really needs to be at the public district preschool.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi - it's possible they might let him get by with pullups - IEP or not.  My son turned 3 on 8/2 and started school after Labor Day that year (2 mornings a week).  He wasn't PT'd on his birthday, but somehow decided to do it before school started (after a long summer of trying).  That said, even though the official policy was that they had to be PT'd, the teacher (and it was a private school) said pullups were ok - acknowledging that boys are hard and was a very young 3.  I know some boys went to school with pullups that year.  In 2 hours, they probably aren't going to leak out of one.  And he never has, even now, pooped at school.

• Just be cautious, most private schools are private because they can make up their own rules, which include not accepting kids with special needs, including those that are not PT. My ds has autism, but high functioning. So, he wasn't a good fit for the special needs classroom and they did not offer any typical pre-school program in our district. Luckily, my employer, a few counties over, has an excellent pre-school program that allows his therapists to come see him. But all of these therapists are paid through our insurance, not the school system.

My ds was not PT until he was right at 4 years old, which is actually quite good for an autistic kid. But, again, it was through my employer and we offered assistance with our therapist, so they were willing to accept him. He has done extraordinarily well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"