Austin Babies

do you flush the poop out of your kid's diaper?

apparently you're supposed to.  And apparently it's a violation of sanitation laws if you don't. 

Huh.  The things I don't know could fill, ahem, a library.  

Do you flush the poop or do you just put the whole darn diaper into the trash bin?  And yes, this is the solid stuff--not the breastfeeding/formula poops that are so runny you'd have to get your vacuum out to toss that poop.  Ewww!  

[Poll]

Re: do you flush the poop out of your kid's diaper?

• I flush it if it happens in a cloth diaper which is 99.9% of the time.  If she happens to be in a disposable, I count my blessings and throw the whole thing away even though I know better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No I don't, and honestly I take this as one of those things everyone says but isn't actually true in all areas. However, if someone sent me a link to a local ordinance specifying this I'd be happy to change my mind (but not my practice!).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If we're at home, yes, I flush. But honestly, if I hadn't CDed the first almost-year, I never would have.
  • imagekiarox2002:
    I flush it if it happens in a cloth diaper which is 99.9% of the time.  If she happens to be in a disposable, I count my blessings and throw the whole thing away even though I know better.

this...we cloth, so, yeah.  I have heard you are supposed to because it is biowaste and it is bad for the landfills, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes but we CD.  when we used disposables i never flushed (i never knew you were supposed to).  i try to flush even if he's in a disposable now because it usually comes right off and there is no lingering stink.  Ick!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I mean, hello?  If you're using disposables, isn't the whole damn thing just bad for the environment anyway?  It's not like you're doing that much of a favour by flushing the poop.  And then, all that water you'd be wasting, that's a huge waste!  Here at my house, it means I'd be flushing at least 3 x 2 extra flushes a day.  That's ridiculous.  Plus, we have a septic tank so that means I'd be having to have that pumped sooner.  Yeah, no thanks.  I'll toss the whole thing.
  • Just to satisfy my curiosity, I looked though the RR municipal codes and there is nothing at all about dirty diapers.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageRach03k:
    Just to satisfy my curiosity, I looked though the RR municipal codes and there is nothing at all about dirty diapers.

I don't think it's "illegal" per se, it's just one of those things "they" say you should be doing to help.  The logic is that human feces should be flushed down the toilet so it can be properly treated instead of contaminating the ground.

• DD still has the runny formula poop right now, but when she has solid poop I'm not flushing it.  She is in disposable diapers and the entire thing will be going in the trash.  Poop is disgusting and I'm not messing around with it.  I do plenty of other things to help and/or recycle.
  • Nothin' like a poop poll! One way you could look at it is that you're willing to properly dispose of the poop if you have a pet, so why not make the little extra effort with the kid version? Then again, there was dog crap all over our old hiking trail, which did much to subtract from its enjoyment, so I guess not everyone takes care of pet poo either.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejoyco:
    Here at my house, it means I'd be flushing at least 3 x 2 extra flushes a day.  That's ridiculous.

Once they're PT-ed, they'll still have to flush.  You're just starting that a little earlier.

We have also been using the "poop goes in the toilet" act to help with PT-ing.  When DD poops in her diaper we make a big deal about dumping the poop in the toilet, let her sit on the potty seat, wipe & flush.  She's gotten to the point now where she'll tell you she "poo poo" and immediately bee line for the bathroom.

• imageFaon:
    Nothin' like a poop poll! One way you could look at it is that you're willing to properly dispose of the poop if you have a pet, so why not make the little extra effort with the kid version? Then again, there was dog crap all over our old hiking trail, which did much to subtract from its enjoyment, so I guess not everyone takes care of pet poo either.

Are you supposed to flush dog and cat poop too?  

• imageRach03k:
    Just to satisfy my curiosity, I looked though the RR municipal codes and there is nothing at all about dirty diapers.
    if you go to Ausitin's website it says all diapers(and animal waste) should be in sealed bags.

sorry can't do links from my phone

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh MMT, don't be so logical.  You'll remind me of my husband.

When the boys do start PTing (which, they're only at the point of telling me when they're pooping or peeing, but they do NOT want to sit on the potty), I imagine I'll do the whole poop in the potty trick, but I'd rather wait til that point.  Right now, it's just not in me to take the diaper to the toilet and scrape poop.  My kids would probably want to help.  

• imageMrsAJL:

imageFaon:
    Nothin' like a poop poll! One way you could look at it is that you're willing to properly dispose of the poop if you have a pet, so why not make the little extra effort with the kid version? Then again, there was dog crap all over our old hiking trail, which did much to subtract from its enjoyment, so I guess not everyone takes care of pet poo either.

Are you supposed to flush dog and cat poop too?  

haha, I don't think so. But I know most people empty a litter box or pick it up from the backyard. Plus, hopefully they pick it up from the ground of a public place, which to me is grosser and more work than flushing a little patty from a diaper!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"