Baby Showers
Options

Early Shower vs. Late Travel

I've seen other posts on this board saying that a shower at 5 months is way too early. Personally I have to agree, however, circumstances are working against me here!!

I work in the school system so my options for traveling from Virginia where we live to Michigan where our family is for showers are rather limited. We can either go at about 21 weeks during my spring break in mid-April or wait until the last week of June/first week of July to go after I'm done with school (my position works several weeks beyond the end of school - teachers get out much earlier)  at about 31 weeks. Going earlier would make the 13 hour drive less difficult but time is limited to just that week including travel while waiting means travel at over seven months but more flexibility in how long we can stay.

Now just to add on to all that I may have an opportunity to work part time over the summer and make some extra cash we desperately need (my husband is unemployed) but that would rule out going home at that time. And of course there is not guarantee I'll get the extra hours this summer.

Of course I need to make all these decisions ASAP and I have no clue what to do so I thought I would check with your impartial ladies!! :) I'm sure I rambled a bit so I hope my problem makes sense!

So should I have a shower WAY early at 5 months over spring break and possibly work over the summer or wait to have the shower at 7+ months?

Re: Early Shower vs. Late Travel

• Options

Just wait till 7+ months. You'll have a better idea of all the things you want, the sex of the baby etc etc. 3rd trimester would be the way to go.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    31 weeks doesn't seem late at all for a shower.  The other factors, such as working, might play into your decision, but the timing doesn't seem to be an issue.  38 weeks? Late.  31? Not so much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If you can wait until 31 weeks it would be best for a variety of reasons.  You will know the sex, what you need, and you won't be going over a holiday.  A lot of people (especially with kids) go on trips during spring/Easter break.  The last week in June would be a better date because it is before the 4th of July week-end which I think falls on a Monday this year.

As for your part-time job...I would just ask if you could have 1 week between jobs before starting.  Let them know you already have arrangements made.  We used to travel from MI to VA (DC) all the time without stopping but if I were you I'd probably stop overnight on the way up.  We've done the trip (3 day week-end) many times but always drove straight through but I wasn't pregnant at the time.  lol

• Options
    imagebunnybaby11:

Just wait till 7+ months. You'll have a better idea of all the things you want, the sex of the baby etc etc. 3rd trimester would be the way to go.

Totally agree!

• Options

I'm with those who don't think 31 weeks is late at all. I'm traveling for a shower & will be 29 or 30 weeks. If it was local, it'd probably be later.

Definitely wait if you can at all. @ 21 weeks you might not even look that pregnant- people expect you to look more balloon-like. ;) 

• Options
    I will be traveling most likely around 32 weeks, 7 hours away for a shower.  I would wait. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies!! I'm not so worried about traveling at 31 weeks and in fact that is definitely my preference to wait until then however the chance to make an extra $3000 for one month of part time work is VERY tempting. And I would be working summer school and there is no asking for an extra week off to go home first. I've already tried asking about it and although not completely ruled out I was told it would be highly unlikely I would be able to do that. And I'm  not even gerunteed to GET that job and won't know until it would be too late to plan a spring break shower. Then if I DID get the job I wouldn't be able to go home at all. So you can see my dilemma!!

Thanks for your suggestions - I've got a few more questions out to the person doing the hiring so I'm praying that will provide me with some more direction but we shall see!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"