Multiples

Tell me how you transitioned to a sippy cup

With DD i have to admit Daycare did most of the work and I don;t even remember that stage (so sad :(, so the boys turn a year next month and even though their pedi said that the NCIU recommended staying on formula for a year adjusted (which would be when they are 14 months old) they have no wieght gain issues so i want to get ideas and press the issue at their 1 yr well check.  Right now the boys get a sippy fo water with meals just fro practice.  They mostly play with is and don;t drink much. 
Please tell me how your changed to a sippy cup, was it slow gradual or cold turkey?  Did you put formula in it or just milk?  Thanks!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Tell me how you transitioned to a sippy cup

• We are having a he!l of a time with it.  They take water in them great (they like straw sippies), but refuse milk.  We have tried gradually replacing a bottle a day with a sippy and that didn't work, and we tried going cold turkey and they didn't drink milk all day so we caved.  They just REFUSE milk in sippies.

Some kids have no real issue with the transition and other do.  Mine are the latter.  ;)  I am thinking that one day we'll just have to pack the bottles away and show them a little "tough love."

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We started out giving them just water in sippies, and they did great with that.  But if we gave them milk, they'd spit it out all over themselves and the floor, then stop trying to drink.  When they were about 13 months I tired swapping out one bottle with a sippy.  They didn't drink it and just made up for it by drinking more at their other bottles.  So, I switched a second bottle to a sippy.  They didn't drink that one either.  They were just holding out for their bedtime bottles.  After a couple days I just cut bottles altogether and only gave them sippies.  The first day they didn't drink a lot, but I gave them a lot of dairy (cheese, yogurt) to make up for the lack of dairy, and a lot of fruit to keep them hydrated.  The second day they drank much better, and by the third day they were pros. 

Every kid is probably different, but for mine, the gradual transition did not work.  A couple days of only sippy cups, though, and they took to it just fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • before a year a put water in the cups and they mostly just played with it. at 1 i put milk in and they LOVED milk- they figured out how to really drink from it. i put the bottles away right then. they didnt care out of what, as long as they got their milk! i was lucky in this regard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"