Austin Babies

On-and-off fever: What could this be?

I have no idea what is going on with this poor kid, but for the last 4 weeks Luke has had an on-again-off-again fever.  A few weeks ago on a Wednesday I got a call from daycare that he had a fever so I stayed home with him the next day - no fever.  Took him back on Friday.  Got a call at the end of the day that he had a fever.  He had one on Saturday too but none on Sunday or any that following week.  Then this week I got a call on Monday that he had fever.  I took him to the pedi.  She did a nasal swab to test for flu.  He got a chest xray to test for pneumonia & bronchitis.  Everything was negative, and he didn't have a fever again until Thursday when I got a call from daycare.  Again, no fever on Fri or yesterday.  Now he has one again.

I don't think he's teething.  I suppose it's possible that he's catching different viruses that are making him spike fevers on these separate occasions.  Maybe because he's a finger-sucker, he's getting exposed to more stuff than Joseph.  But is it possible it's something else?  The pedi couldn't find anything obvious on Monday, and I'm taking him back tomorrow to double check.  Anyone have an experience like this or any good advice? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: On-and-off fever: What could this be?

• My first inclination would be teething because, in my experience, that fever is on again, off again. Maybe his 2 year molars?? Does he have any other symptoms other than the fever. It would be so random that he would catch that many viruses. We have had viruses that the fever will be gone for almost 24 hours and then spike again. I know my pedi always says that if a fever goes away for 24 hours and then spikes high again then you should consider something bacterial vs. viral. Good luck! 
  • imageerincutts:
    My first inclination would be teething because, in my experience, that fever is on again, off again. Maybe his 2 year molars?? Does he have any other symptoms other than the fever. It would be so random that he would catch that many viruses. We have had viruses that the fever will be gone for almost 24 hours and then spike again. I know my pedi always says that if a fever goes away for 24 hours and then spikes high again then you should consider something bacterial vs. viral. Good luck! 

He is getting over a cough that I thought was the end-product of the first fever/virus.  And that cough was messing with his sleep for a few days so he was a little grumpier than usual, but other than that, I can't find any other unusual symptoms.  I'm going to see if he'll let me feel around for his molars.  That totally could be it, but if it is, they're doing a good job of hiding.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know if this is helpful but Wyatt is my finger sucker and he is always the first one to get sick. He definitely picks up more stuff than the other two because he constantly exposes himself to germs by touching things and sticking his fingers in his mouth.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• What is daycare calling a fever?

I know that both of my boys run hot, *especially* when they are playing. I wonder if he just has a higher than normal temp? I'm not saying that daycare shouldn't call you to grab him, but he could be fine. I dunno. 

• Spence is my thumb sucker and he's the healthier of the two.  ;)

Coop had that on-off fever thing along with coughing a few weeks ago and it was diagnosed as a bacterial infection that started as a sinus infection.  He was given amox (as was Spence, for his slight cough and slighter fever) and they have been fantastic ever since.

If your boys get my boys sick, I'll kill you.

• Alex has had something similar. He was on again off again sick for most of January and early February, but he also had a nasty snotty nose. His nose is still running a bit, but it is not nearly as bad as it was. Our pediatrician chalked it up to 1) allergies, 2) teething, 3) several viruses or colds, or a combination of all of the above.

How high has his fever been? Alex got up to 101, but never higher.

• imagemcgee+mike:

Alex has had something similar. He was on again off again sick for most of January and early February, but he also had a nasty snotty nose. His nose is still running a bit, but it is not nearly as bad as it was. Our pediatrician chalked it up to 1) allergies, 2) teething, 3) several viruses or colds, or a combination of all of the above.

Same for Luke, and that's the magic number at daycare too.  I dunno what's going on, but he definitely looks "off" right now.  Joyce, I'm pretty sure I could take you.  But, seriously, I really hope no one gets sick because of us.  Joseph hasn't caught it yet thank goodness.

• imageFeistyFille:
    imagemcgee+mike:

Alex has had something similar. He was on again off again sick for most of January and early February, but he also had a nasty snotty nose. His nose is still running a bit, but it is not nearly as bad as it was. Our pediatrician chalked it up to 1) allergies, 2) teething, 3) several viruses or colds, or a combination of all of the above.

Same for Luke, and that's the magic number at daycare too.  I dunno what's going on, but he definitely looks "off" right now.  Joyce, I'm pretty sure I could take you.  But, seriously, I really hope no one gets sick because of us.  Joseph hasn't caught it yet thank goodness.

Eh, it's not like they were slobbering all over each other or anything. Plus given that my kids go the the Y, music class, play dates, etc. they are exposed to stuff all the time!

Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"