Austin Babies

Can someone come smack my DH

with reality??? Seriously he said today, "I was talking to *friend* and we were talking about the media room in the new house and how it would suck to have a projector and instead we should get two plasma's and mount them side by side and hook the 2 xboxes up to them.........." Ok well we already have two 60 inch plasmas in our house why not be satisfied with the ones we already own instead of making plans with the money set aside to furnish our house with things we don't have i.e. dining set, playroom furniture, etc.UGH Boys!

Re: Can someone come smack my DH

• That sounds like my DH.  He talks daily about all these new toys he "needs".  I pretty much ignore him now or just shake my head and say "yea honey, uh huh".  Men just don't. get. it.
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • I think that all men have a technology sickness.  DH set up his surround sound before finishing any other project around the house.  We still have rooms with no baseboards, but we have surround sound in the living room.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wish my house had a media room.  Or a playroom.  Or plasma TVs.
  • imageMrsRosie:
    If we had more than one Xbox I would be divorced.

you read my mind.  just the one is enough to google marriage counseling.

• Oh, I totally get it. My husband has the atari, the sega, the old skool nintendo, the wii, the PS, the PS2, the xbox360 and the kinect all hooked up to our albeit small, at 56 inches, tv and he was seriously talking about buying the PS3 and an old xbox. Fo serious?! Good grief! Eta: let me be clear, I am NOT bragging. I mean, we don't have a media room or anything. Just a plain ole living room.
  • imageMrsRosie:
    imagebrideonjuly8:

imageMrsRosie:
    If we had more than one Xbox I would be divorced.

you read my mind.  just the one is enough to google marriage counseling.

No joke, I added this link to his bookmarks one night.

Sweet.  Bookmarked.

• imageMrsMillerTime:
    I wish my house had a media room.  Or a playroom.  Or plasma TVs.
    Word.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekiarox2002:
    imageMrsMillerTime:
    I wish my house had a media room.  Or a playroom.  Or plasma TVs.
    Word.

For real.  

• Bravo. :::golf claps:::

While other people on this board are worried about paying medical bills and mortgages, you not only let us know that you have a high number of huge tvs and entertainment systems for your new media room but you also let us know this is the big problem in your life. 

Yes 

• imageClusterFudge:

Bravo. :::golf claps:::

While other people on this board are worried about paying medical bills and mortgages, you not only let us know that you have a high number of huge tvs and entertainment systems for your new media room but you also let us know this is the big problem in your life. 

Yes 

Actually it's not a big problem in my life. I know I am fortunate. But I am pretty sure that I am not the first person on this board to vent about their husbands antics. But just for reference next time you want to be catty go ahead and put your big girl panties on and do it under your real name not your alternate "I'm a puss and will be b!tchy to someone because no one will know it's me".

• imagemisjenn:
    imageClusterFudge:

Bravo. :::golf claps:::

Yes 

Actually it's not a big problem in my life. I know I am fortunate. But I am pretty sure that I am not the first person on this board to vent about their husbands antics. But just for reference next time you want to be catty go ahead and put your big girl panties on and do it under your real name not your alternate "I'm a puss and will be b!tchy to someone because no one will know it's me".

I'm sorry people have to make an effort to be so negative.  It sucks to post stuff here and feel like you're nothing but judged.  I'm sorry your DH is being difficult - I'm sure everyone can relate to that.  I know I can.   

• Not clusterfudge, but I have to ditto what she said.

Go back and read your post, Jenn. I mean, sure guys are all into technology and whatev, but the OP just sounds like one big ol' brag disguised as a rant. Granted, it's a great problem to have, but this might not be the place to complain about your DH wanting 4 plasma tvs in the house as opposed to two. Espcially when there are numerous families on here that are straight up struggling.

A simple, "I sure am frustrated b/c we had money set aside to furnish the house and DH wants to use it to pimp out the media room," might have read as a little less braggy. kwim?

• imagemcurban:

Not clusterfudge, but I have to ditto what she said.

Go back and read your post, Jenn. I mean, sure guys are all into technology and whatev, but the OP just sounds like one big ol' brag disguised as a rant. Granted, it's a great problem to have, but this might not be the place to complain about your DH wanting 4 plasma tvs in the house as opposed to two. Espcially when there are numerous families on here that are straight up struggling.

A simple, "I sure am frustrated b/c we had money set aside to furnish the house and DH wants to use it to pimp out the media room," might have read as a little less braggy. kwim?

:thumbs up:
  • imagemcurban:

Not clusterfudge, but I have to ditto what she said.

Well said.  And ditto.

• Okay sorry it sounded like a brag but really the group bandwagon stuff is kind of getting old especially when it comes from an AE. I am sure if one of the "clique nesties" had the same exact post the flack wouldn't have been dealt especially since I pretty sure that particular AE is a nestie that is part of the infamous "in". Whether or not I was bragging it was primarily a light hearted vent.
  • I don't even know Jenn... But from what I have observed there is a whole lot of AW stuff here that doesn't get this kind of response. Just because I wish I had a playroom or a plasma or whatever doesn't give me an opportunity to teach a lesson or make her feel badly. I puposely didnt comment, initally, because it did seem a little AW... But who cares? No skin off my nose. I have noticed that when someone gets jumped on there are few people that post on the other side of the bandwagon, so I want to post to say that I didnt think your post warranted this reaction.
  • I'm going to step out of my polite box and say that I think the issue is more that jenn seems to always make subtle comments on how money is not a problem for them.  Like buying your 2 year old an itouch or something.  KWIM?  Wasn't it jenn who mentioned that she was going on a fancy schmancy trip to Bora Bora or something and then posting links and then I can remember other instances where we've been reminded of just how much money they must have.  I'm sure it must get old to some gals on the board who don't have as much money.  I honestly don't give a sh!t how much money anyone has, we live within our means and I don't try to tell others what we have and don't have because I don't want to rub anything in anyone's face.  Plus, my husband has a problem with me sharing anything money-related with anyone, IRL or online.

• imagejoyco:

I'm going to step out of my polite box and say that I think the issue is more that jenn seems to always make subtle comments on how money is not a problem for them.  Like buying your 2 year old an itouch or something.  KWIM?  Wasn't it jenn who mentioned that she was going on a fancy schmancy trip to Bora Bora or something and then posting links and then I can remember other instances where we've been reminded of just how much money they must have.  I'm sure it must get old to some gals on the board who don't have as much money.  I honestly don't give a sh!t how much money anyone has, we live within our means and I don't try to tell others what we have and don't have because I don't want to rub anything in anyone's face.  Plus, my husband has a problem with me sharing anything money-related with anyone, IRL or online.

And on that note I think I am going to step away from the Austin Bump board for a while because honestly I've already done the sorority/high school girl thing with the cliques and I just am not into it anymore. Thanks for the perspective though.

Well honestly we don't have money. We have saved and try to live debt free (minus our mortgage and student loans). We spend cash on everything. So yes we live within our means (the tv's my DH bought after his divorce when he was 28) Our house we live in he built with his first wife and is 1600sq feet so it's not like I am living up in the Hills with an escalade. And yes we bought my DD a touch for her 2nd birthday. That was the only present she got and she still uses it more than her toys, someone asked what to get a 2 year old and that is what I suggested and several other moms did too. As for our trip we use miles and got a great deal on the hotel. I can see how it looks "braggy" but these aren't like all recent posts they have been over like 3 years. Sorry if I offend people or come off pretentious. That is not who I am nor who I want to be portrayed.

• When DH was in college he somehow ended up with two tvs for a semester and had them both hooked up next to each other. Guys would congregate in the room like all weekend and have football and videogames going simultaneously. I'm pretty sure there is some kind of guy "can never have enough televisions" gene. Or something.

I can see how some would have taken this post as being braggy but...I'd like to give jenn the benefit of the doubt. I think that sometimes things don't translate well in text, and I can totally see myself saying something along these lines just trying to highlight how completely ridiculous my DH is being, not trying to AW my stuff. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I didn't take it as being braggy - just that your DH was being ridiculous with his expectations. Like Rach said, I think things might not translate well in a condensed format with little room for qualification/explanation.  I also haven't seen the other posts people referred to so I was taking this one at face value.
    No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Give Jenn a break.  I don't think she meant it as braggy.  Maybe it came off that way because sometimes things don't translate well online, but please.  Can we give a girl the benefit of the doubt?  Geez.

I really hate how some of us tend to take every. single. opportunity. to call someone else out or try to make them feel bad just for expressing an opinion. That doesn't help anyone and it really sullies the board.  Sorry if that's too P&R for some of you but that's my opinion. I just don't see a reason to be purposefully accusatory or rude.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"