Trying to Get Pregnant

Is painful sex an early pregnancy symptom?

My husband and I have been actively TTC for about 9 months. We have already started some of the fertility testing, and so far everything is looking good, I am ovulating regularly, etc. We are currently 9 DPO, and last night I experienced very painful sex, like I didn't have "enough room" for him. I am wondering if this is a sign of pregnancy? I have NEVER had painful sex like this with my husband before. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Re: Is painful sex an early pregnancy symptom?

• Without asking too many personal questions, could it have been the position in which you two were having sex? Near the beginning and end of a cycle, your cervix is low, and depending on the size of your husband, there actually may not be "enough room" for him. All that banging on your cervix can be painful.

Unfortunately, your cervix returns to a low position within about 12 days of ovulation, so there's no way to tell by CP alone if you're pregnant. So, to answer your question, if this is actually what is causing your painful sex, it's not an indication of pregnancy.

If you're not pregnant, and you continue to experience painful sex, you should see your doctor.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Wait a few days and take a test, is my advice.

How do you know you are 9DPO? Do you chart?

I think anything can be construed as an early pregnancy symptom and the only way to know is after the +HPT. Painful intercourse can be  a symptom for endometriosis. Tongue Tied However, I am sure it could be a symptom of other things as well. 

EDIT: clarity  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • *sigh*

A baby is so far up your uterus that unless your husband is John Holmes or Long Dong Silver, you should be able to have enjoyable sex. A baby won't see a mushroom tip and be scared at it coming at him/her. 

Snarky reply aside, it's probably not a pregnancy symptom. Wait a couple of days and POAS (pee on a stick).  It sounds like you probably weren't lubricated enough.  I wish you luck, OP. 

• I know everyone is different, but painful sex was never a pregnancy symptom for me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My guess is if your cervix is low that's what's causing your pain. I don't think it would be considered an early pregnancy sign.
  • I agree with what the previous ladies said about it possibly being a low cervix
    Married: 10/17/09
    TTC since 10/09
    DH's SA-Normal
    HSG-All clear!!
    BFP 5-19-11...Beta#1-13 Beta#2- 9 (m/c 05/23/11 @4w4d)
    Nov '11-Round one of 50mg Clomid=BFP!!!12-8-11
    Beta#1 12.13.11-160! Beta #2 12.21.11- 5100!!!
    Hunter Austin-Born August 12, 2012 7lb 12oz 20in long Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Congrats to my BFPB mrsbaker1128! Gavin Thomas and Landon David arrived on 6/27/11!!
    **Good luck to all of my loves as well!**
  • I've never heard of this being an early sign.  I have painful sex every now and then, my Dr told me it is because I have a tilted uterus.

Good luck! 

My Ovulation Chart

March 2011 100mg Clomid+Estradoil+HCG Trigger+IUI#1=BFN

April 2011 100mg Clomid+Estradoil+HCG Trigger+IUI#2 on 4/14/11

• In addition to your cervix being low after ovulation, fertile slippery CM dries up after ovulation, leaving less lubrication in there...thus the combination of the two and you could have some uncomfortable intercourse. Like the pp, if the discomfort continues, I'd ask your OB.
  • Thank you for everyone's responses so far, some of the inofmration has been really helpful.

Foxxy1: Nowhere in my post did I think or assume anything was going into the uterus and "hitting the  embryo" or whatever you implied, so you should carefully read people's questions before leaving snarky responses.

The really weird thing about the situation is that in the 9 years with my husband, we have never had painful sex once, I have never had any "issues" with my female health, had enough natural lubrication, and everything about last night was exactly the same as every other night (not that I am complaining though!). I also had never heard of painful sex being a pregnancy symptom, and was looking to clarify with other women the low cervical position at the end of the menstrual cycle, which sounds exactly like what was going on. Thank you to the intelligent posters out there!

• How did the doctor diagnose you with a tilted uterus? Can the determine that via ultrasound?
  • Whether it is a symptom of early pregnancy or not I cant say...I would venture to say that its not going to be a sign youre pg especially at 9dpo.

I did have painful sex the entire time I was pg though, and it felt exactly as you described like there wasnt enough room, felt like DH was hitting my cervix, etc. It was like that from the beginning of my pg to the end and at 6 weeks post-partum when we finally did it again the pain was gone. I am sure it had something to do with the change in position of my cervix while pregnant.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagefoxxy1:

*sigh*

A baby is so far up your uterus that unless your husband is John Holmes or Long Dong Silver, you should be able to have enjoyable sex. A baby won't see a mushroom tip and be scared at it coming at him/her. 

Snarky reply aside, it's probably not a pregnancy symptom. Wait a couple of days and POAS (pee on a stick).  It sounds like you probably weren't lubricated enough.  I wish you luck, OP. 

LMAO

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• Actually to my knowledge early pregnancy sex is supposed to be MORE enjoyable due to increase circulation in your lady parts. I know this wouldnt be the case for everyone of course and it probably "could" be a symptom, but the TYPICAL symptom is actually the opposite.

However, asking us still wont tell you. My suggestion is to POAS to find out for sure. GL.

• I was having "painful" sex off and on for the last couple months (it kinda depended on position... but I won't go there for risk of TMI) and this has never happened before so I brought it up at my physical last week. I was also complaining of intermittent left side lower abdominal pain so my Dr. sent me for an ultrasound to check for a cyst. I haven't heard the results yet, but my only advice would be to consult your Dr. Good Luck, OP!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"