Military Families
Options

On post day care

Can anyone tell me anything about childcare on post? We are at Ft. Riley but live about 20 minutes away in Manhattan. Currently on PSC for another 2 weeks and freaking out about childcare, our first daycare ended up with childabuse charges against them SO, I'm a little cautious. HELP!

Re: On post day care

• Options

I work on post at a CDC center, what specifically were you wanting to know? I know there is a "Wait list" here. Everyone who works at the center has to have a backround check, fingerprints, physicals, ect. I know our centers have cameras in the rooms and you may request to see them. And the centers have an open door policy that you may come in and check on your kiddo at anytime. Every base might be slightly different. HTH. Let me know if you have any questions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/stacee04
  • Options
    imagemrswalker1221:

I work on post at a CDC center, what specifically were you wanting to know? I know there is a "Wait list" here. Everyone who works at the center has to have a backround check, fingerprints, physicals, ect. I know our centers have cameras in the rooms and you may request to see them. And the centers have an open door policy that you may come in and check on your kiddo at anytime. Every base might be slightly different. HTH. Let me know if you have any questions.

ours is the same way

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrswalker1221:

Ours too. And if there is a caregiver alone in a room with a single ratio of children, they are monitored either in the director's office or on a large screen in the lobby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This is more into the weeds, but my DS has been at a CDC since 6wks old and I am not happy with it. It's not a bad option, but not a GREAT one either. You can't beat it for affordability, and depending on where you live it may be the best of what's around. 

My DS had wonderful teachers as an infant, but I didn't like how often the teachers floated and rotated between rooms. I'd race to pick him up before his regular teacher left for the day, because after that I had no idea who'd be with him. This can happen in any daycare, but CDCs tend to be large with many employees. I'm sure many of the floaters were wonderful, but they didn't know my baby and did a lot of things that the regular teachers knew I didn't like.

Now that DS is a little older (3), the classes are very large and chaotic, with lots of teachers team teaching and floating. He'll tell me that a teacher did something I don't approve of (like yelling at him) but he can't tell me which teachers because he doesn't know them all. We also felt he wasn't learning anything so we enrolled him in a private preschool, and he never has bad stories about the teachers there, so I believe what he tells me. 

I hope this helps a little in your choice. CDCs are safe and you can have wonderful teachers, but it can be luck of the draw. Things to consider if you're a picky parent. 

• Options
    I have had GREAT experiences with on-post childcare. The first military CDC we used was at Riley, and I absolutely loved them. He was previously at K-State's CDC. Now we are at Fort Sam and he finally made it off the wait list and into a classroom. He is 3 now and loves his "school", teachers, and friends. There are subs that rotate in and out of the classroom to give the teachers breaks, but they all seem to love caring for the kids. We also have our unborn child on the wait list already. He is #32 on the list, but it is worth the wait! I am a nurse with super high standards, and so far no complaints!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"