Preemies
Options

I feel so guilty when I go home...

When I'm in the NICU with my boys, I'm fine.  I like that I can take their temps, change their diapers and am very proactive.  As soon as I leave this huge feeling of guilt overcomes me and I find it hard to pull myself together.  I was just reading the previous post about peoples schedules and it made me realize maybe if I came up with a visiting schedule it might help me get some normalcy.  How long did it take you to come up with a visiting schedule? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I feel so guilty when I go home...

• Options

I hated leaving, too, but sleeping in my own bed and trying to retain some of my life helped me in the long run. 

We kinda fell into a schedule after a few days.  DD was only in for 9 days, but after awhile DH and I would go up in the morning and my mom would stay home and clean and do stuff around the house (she lives far away and flew down), then we'd leave to get her around lunch, then go back and stay until 9ish at night.  

We were also lucky because we lived fairly close and DH worked at the hospital, so he could pop in to see if he was missing anything.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I'm right there with you. I feel like I'm "ready" to go home but as soon as I hit the elevator this overwhelming feeling of "I want to go back" comes over me & I fall apart. I'm then "good again" when I walk in the door - great my furbabies, freshen up, eat, etc. then the guilt comes back again. It seems like a vicious cycle.

I'm trying to get a schedule going so far, I have worked out that SO goes in for his 6 a.m. feeding before he goes into work. I go in at 8:30 for Dr. Rounds & his 9:00 a.m feeding. I stay through till his 12:00 p.m. feeding - leave around 1 after feeding & pumping session & go home till his 6:00 p.m. feeding. Depending on visitors, etc. I stay or come back home. We both go back around 8 for his hour of kangaroo care & our private family time & his 9:00 feeding. Family time afterwards & we leave around 11-11:30 depending on how awake he is/etc. We will see how this works for us.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have no advice because as you can see I am having an issue coming up with a schedule. But I just wanted to offer you hugs and let you know you are not alone feeling this way. I hope for our sanity we can both find a schedule that works and makes our Lo's stay as bearable as possible.

By the time we got to the hospital last night I was so hyped up I think I could have ran all the flights of steps to the NICU.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"