VBAC
Options

WWYD if no progress at 40.5 wk appt?

I need to get a game plan together here. My next appt is Friday. I'll be 40 weeks 3 days. Last appt, I was "high, soft, and closed". I haven't had anything to write home about in terms of contractions - real or BH.

My dr will let me go to 41.5 weeks, so by my next appointment my timeline is down to a week.  IF I have made progress (say 3-4 cm) he says he could induce by breaking my water. Otherwise, if I have no progress again I think he'll want to get the CS scheduled.

If he'd do it, is it worth trying to induce from no progress? Should I just schedule the CS for as late as possible and hope to heck I go into labor? 

I'd rather go into labor vs him trying to "induce" it...feels like better odds.

Sigh. Help!  

Re: WWYD if no progress at 40.5 wk appt?

• Options
    Seriously, 12 of you have looked and have no thoughts? :(
  • Options

I haven't posted yet on this board, but I am in the exact same situation. My OB's will only let me go to 41 weeks though. I have already had to schedule the c/s.

At my appointment tomorrow if I have made progress I am going to ask if I can hold out until the c/s day. If I still haven't gone on my own, I am hoping they can break my water on that day instead of going straight for the c/s. I also don't think it's a great idea to break the water without going into labor on my own, but I'm willing to try it as a last resort.

Good luck to you!

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageDeansGirl0329:

Hmm  This is not an answering service, it's a free, public message board. Sometimes people just don't have an answer, or time to respond.

That said, if it were me, I'd probably try an induction if at all possible, before scheduling a c/s. That is just my personal feeling though. This is a very individual decision. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageRach03k:

imageDeansGirl0329:

Hmm  This is not an answering service, it's a free, public message board. Sometimes people just don't have an answer, or time to respond. 

:| Yeah thanks for that enlightening tidbit. Just seems like in the past the VBAC board has had plenty of fellow VBAC hopefuls or people who actually made it through one, and I am looking forward to hearing their advice. 

• Options
    I would only go for an induction if your doctor thinks your cervix is favorable enough to try one. I'd rather do a planned repeat c/s than have a failed induction that ends in an emergency c/s. But that's just my opinion.
  • Options

I wouldn't want my water broken. Then you're on the clock. Can't he strip your membranes or something instead?

• Options
    imagelorryfach:

I wouldn't want my water broken. Then you're on the clock. Can't he strip your membranes or something instead?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the idea either. I wouldn't want to do this unless we're at the 41.5 mark and I'm flipping a coin between that and a RCS. 

• Options

I went two weeks overdue with my last pregnancy, hoping for a VBAC.. and the doctor refused induction because I was "unfavorable"... (only 1 cm). I was forced into another c/s.   

I've read using Evening Primrose Oil, isn't contraindicated for VBAC.  I would look up herbal remedies to help self-induce yourself, more naturally.  There's also accupuncture and the foley-catheter induction (my doctor refused this last time, even when I took him a rationale for this being beneficial for VBAC patients). 

Hope that helps.   

• Options

Thanks ladies.

*Stares down at cervix somehow through clothes/baby/fat and gives it the evil eye*

• Options
    I guess I'm one of those that will avoid induction and scheduled c/s at all cost... so while your OB might schedule either of those for you, you don't have to show up.  I wouldn't unless there is some risk with the baby or myself.  I'm all for letting that babe come out when it's good & ready, even with a VBAC.
  • Options
    I'm going in on Thursday (40w4d) and asking my OB to strip my membranes if I am dilated enough.  I was only 1cm at my last appointment, they want 3cm to strip.  Then I will ask to be induced via Foley/them breaking my water on Friday or Saturday.  I have a RCS scheduled on their "deadline" day 2/28 (41w1d).
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options
    A lot can change in a week at the end of a pregnancy.  I would wait, let him schedule the RCS if he needs to, but it doesn't mean you have to have it.  Then do what you're comfortable with to get things going on your own.  Praying for labor to start soon!
  • Options

imageMissyOlivePants:
    I guess I'm one of those that will avoid induction and scheduled c/s at all cost... so while your OB might schedule either of those for you, you don't have to show up.  I wouldn't unless there is some risk with the baby or myself.  I'm all for letting that babe come out when it's good & ready, even with a VBAC.

This. I hope you go in labor soon!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I'd ask about membrane stripping and perhaps try some more natural methods of getting things going.  There are acupressure points you can try at home to get baby to descend or start encouraging contractions.  I tried everything from acupuncture to the acupressure points, to spicy food, walking, pineapple, and the day before I went into labor (same day my induction was scheduled) I had a reflexology appointment and listened several times to the "Baby Come Out" hypnobabies track.  I really do think the hypnobabies track helped - perhaps not the fact that it was a baby come out one, but it did help me relax and get rid of most of the fear/negative emotions I was having about the impending induction, and i really do think that that helped.  They do have a free relaxation track on their site that you can download.  Good luck! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was really hoping I'd be dilated enough last time for him to strip my membranes - but I was totally closed! I'm hoping some progress has happened so he can do it Friday. In the meantime I'm investigating other options. Tried spicy. Tried acupressure looking at acupuncture. 

Come on, baby! :) 

• Options
    I did it all at 41 wks. I finally tried castor oil and that did it for me. I was barely a fingertip so stripping was out. Good luck I feel ya!
  • Options

I was in the same boat and I just kept going. At 40wk, the OB could barely reach my cervix it was so high and tight.

My c/s was scheduled for a Tuesday. DS was born the Monday before at 41wk2d.

I did take EPO orally and vaginally to try to help soften my cervix. But there was no chance of stripping membranes or anything.

- Jena
  • Options

One, a week is a long time :). Take heart that you have a really good chance of going into labor on your own, REGARDLESS of your "progress" today.

Two, you don't have to consent to a rcs either. You could schedule then call to cancel, that something came up.  Also, you can say, can I have one more day? Then, one more day? etc.

That said, breaking water IS a method that many VBAC moms choose when faced with induction or rcs. 

Are you currently taking evening primrose oil? There is easy info on it if you look online,  it has been used by many women to soften the cervix.  If I were you, I would take 2-3 capsules by mouth and insert 2 vaginally, before going to bed. Wear a pantiliner for any leaking while you sleep. This could help you if you face having your water broken.  You can get them at any drugstore or Target.

You could have a foley catheter if you are not already dilated to 4cm when/if the time comes.

Here's hoping to spontaneous labor!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"