Washington Babies
Options

Aidan's 1st Birthday Party

So I am planning Aidan's 1st Birthday, and I needed to ask advice about planning a 1st birthday party.  Aidan's birthday is on May 26, 2010 which is a Thursday.  We could either have it on a Thursday night or on the Saturday before around lunch time.  Which normally works better for birthday parties--to have the birthday on the actual day at night or to have it on the weekend during lunchtime?  The weekend after is Memorial Day weekend so I was thinking that might be a little busy, so this is why I am thinking the weekend before. 

I was thinking about doing a teddy bear theme.

image    image

As well, we are thinking about having it at Delfino's Pizza.  I was thinking about just serving different varieties of pizza--Stuffed Spinach Pizza, Delfino's Special, Pepperoni Pizza--and soft drinks.  Should I order other things like salad or appetizers? Should I bring Earth's Best baby food for the babies as a treat? 

Do I just take charge and tell people that pizza and soft drinks will be served-and then when people rsvp just get an idea or which pizza and soft drinks they like?  Or should I just prepare for that one person who would like something else on the menu and leave it open?  The way that I feel as long as it is not alcohol (from the adults at the party), and it is within reason, it would be fine-I want people to be comfortable. 

https://www.delfinospizzeria.com/

And it really does not matter to me if people bring gifts.  How should I word this?  I just want our friends and family to come and just have a good time for Aidan's special day.  Aidan already has the right amount of toys, and he has a lot of toys at daycare.  He starting to interact more with toys, but he is pretty easygoing and does not really have a lot of preference--as long as he can put it in his mouth--he is happy. 

I was also thinking about going over to the toddler playground afterwards, but I am thinking that this would only work if we had his party at lunchtime. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.

Re: Aidan's 1st Birthday Party

• Options

Obviously I've never done a 1st birthday party but I do have a few thoughts....As far as the menu goes if it were me I would just order variety of pizza and call it good. I'm guessing you know everyone you will invite pretty well so you will likely know if you have someone with special dietary needs. If need be you can make special arrangements for them otherwise, I probably wouldn't mess with trying to compile a list of what pizza peoeple want. But that's just me and maybe I'm a bad host. Stick out tongue I would do a salad or something too since it goes well with pizza and is a lighter option.

On the gifts side of it...people always want to do something no matter if you say it's not necessary. A friend of mine actually did the "in lieu of gifts, please donate to...". She chose a child/baby related charity.

Love the invitation pic you posted. I love those colors together. Very cute.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely do a weekend day - we did a Sunday afternoon which worked great (and since it was summer sent out save-the card date invites early with a followup evite for RSVPs). We also did pizzas and just got a bunch of different kinds. We had a smattering of different sweet treats and large fruit and veggie plates - in addition to birthday cupcakes and monkey bread. We had take home packs of "monkey munch" (banana and chocolate cheerios) for the smaller kids. We also asked for donations instead of gifts (Westside Baby) and had a big bucket at the party. Some people still brought small gifts of course, but it was a sensible amount (otherwise it would have ridiculous!). His present from us was he got to unroll a whole toilet paper roll at the party! LOL. Hope that helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd definitely go for a weekend day.  For some people it's hard to do a weeknight with traffic, picking their kids up from daycare, etc.  Pizza sounds great and I would just order several different kinds and have a couple of salads along with whatever dessert you want to do.

Cute theme!

• Options
    ...and if those are your invite colors, then take a look at this blog for some fun decorating ideas. Granted, this is WAY over the top, but still adorable! https://www.kellehampton.com/2011/01/and-it-was-beautiful-day.html
  • Options

Thank for the advice.  That blog is like "wow."  I would just have to make it more baby boy though.  But I loved the cake and favors--and color scheme--just fabulous!  I was thinking about doing balloons as well.  And I was thinking blowing bubbles would be fun--maybe more for the toddlers, but it would be something that my baby boy would like to watch.  That would be something we could do around the toddler playground, provided it was not too crowded, or not raining that day. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    I have nothing to add, but want to say I can't believe it's time to plan his first birthday already!  He's so adorable and getting to be a big boy! :-)
    Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Options
    I would suggest having it the weekend before ... Collin's birthday was on Memorial Day Weekend last year and a lot of people couldn't make it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So exciting isn't it!  I had both kids' 1st birthdays on a weekend from around 11 until 1 to fit between the am and pm nap and just did a brunch thing at our house.  There is no way I'd do it on a weekday w/ work for everyone else and the fact that my kids are crankiest in the evening.  So plan around naps is what I suggest. A pizza party sounds fun .   would caution only against planning too much because parties can be overwhelming with all of the activity they don't totally understand  or experience on a regular basis at that age. They wear out and get overloaded more easily. DD did fine with all the activity but we also only had immediate family which still was 10 people and was done by 1 for sure. Have fun!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'd also vote the weekend before, with the holiday.  I usually do late morning so there's time to play, then lunch, then presents/cake before people need to leave for naps.

We did pizza for M's party last year and I thought it went pretty well, it was really easy.  One suggestion is to have a good amount of cheese pizza, to my surprise that was actually the first kind to go.  And it wasn't just the kids who dove into the cheese, it was adults too.  We also had a pasta salad, fruit salad, chips and a few other things just in case someone wasn't that into pizza.  You could mention the type of food you're serving in the invite if you want, but I don't really think it's necessary if you're planning to have sides and other things. 

If you don't care either way about gifts I just wouldn't mention it.  If you really didn't want gifts then sure, but otherwise people will bring something if they want to. 

That's a cute theme!!  I'm doing red/aqua blue for Mikayla's party this year too!  :)

-Deborah

• Options

First off, I *love* that color scheme!!    Second,  Aidan is 9 months old now, and i bet you will be so surprised at how much he changes between now and his 1st bday.   Right now he may be perfectly content sticking things in his mouth and watching other kids play, but 3 months from now he could very well be running around all over the place!   I know Holden was a total lump at 9 months (crawling, but still a lump)  and then running full speed by his 1st bday! 

To answer the rest of your questions,  Definitely do the party the weekend before, and  I would say just order a variety of pizzas and some salads and if someone wants to be difficult at the party you can offer them something else off the menu.   I think that providing some baby food or snacks is a good idea, at H's bday I had out a variety of puffs and other baby goodies and people seemed to appreciate it.   If you dont want people to bring gifts just put "No gifts necessary" on the invite, and just expect that some people will bring gifts anyway.  

I think I remembered all the questions...  I cant believe is already almost 1!!

imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"