Austin Babies

teachers come in...Pumping Accommodations at Work

You needed more times to pump at work then just your lunch and planning to keep up your freezer stash for you LO at daycare. Did you talk to your principal first or talk to HR first? What happened then...

I'm a teacher and my principal is upset with me because I called HR to ask about the accommodation process instead of talking to him first... he said it makes him looks like he's not approachable. He said it could have been handled "unofficially" but, now that HR is involved "his hands are tied". So, while I wait for HR paperwork to process my accommodation (it's going to be at least 2 weeks), he said he can't help me at all... so, I've had to supplement with formula. I really didn't think calling HR and emailing them and him at the same time was opening a door I couldn't close. I thought I was doing the right thing... to do the "legwork" and then let him know what the process was. I realize now that politically... it was a wrong move but, I honestly was not thinking about him... I was thinking of my DS.  It's tearing me up that he showed no compassion and looked at me the same way he looks at kids fooling around as he's talking during morning assembly. ugh!!

Re: teachers come in...Pumping Accommodations at Work

•  I didn't end up staying at my job long enough to have to talk to my principal, but she said that if I wasn't getting enough time to pump I could swap 15 minute breaks with one of the kinder teachers who was also pumping...so I'd cover her class for 15 minutes in the morning so she could pump and she'd cover my class for 15 minutes later in the day so I could pump. In the time I was back to work, I nursed DS before I left the house at 7:00, pumped at 10:00 at recess, pumped at 12:00 on my lunch, and pumped at 3:00 on my planning. Then I nursed him when I got home at 4:30ish. My teammates were awesome and covered me during recess so I could pump and didn't schedule anything important for the first 15 minutes of our planning.

I honestly understand where your principal is coming from...it's like going to your boss's boss first instead of approaching your boss - breaking the chain of command. I also believe that his hands are probably tied - he can't step in and make a decision for HR, ya know? And he probably just doesn't get it. He's a man and in my experience, men typically aren't as sensitive to breastfeeding as women are! I'm sure you meant nothing by it, but I think now you're just going to have to ride the wave and let it pass.

• LibbyAnn... Thanks for your reply. I feel better just telling someone. Ah yes... and did I pick the perfect time or what to do this in Austin!? I could kick myself for not doing this a month ago when HR wasn't so swamped with layoffs.

I definitely know better now!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am *hoping* that I'll be able to pump in the morning and afternoon as well as see my lo at the nearby daycare during lunch. I haven't talked to my principal about it, but I will go to him first and not to hr.

and yeah.... principals Austin-wide are stressed about a lot of things right now!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It probably will matter where you teach (ie: how helpful your teammates are), in how flexible your school will be.  We will cover each other's classes for pumping if necessary.  Our principal even took down the men's/women's signs on the staff restrooms because when we have someone pumping on our floor, long lines for the bathroom arise.  One of the men on the floor (there were  only two at the time) got angry because we were using the men's bathroom and reported it.  The principal promptly came upstairs and ripped the signs off the wall, smiled and left. We all cheered!  (And that male teacher left that year :)

As for going downtown before talking to the principal, I know my principal would have been angry.  He is huge on respecting the hierarchy in place.  He wants us to go to team leaders or department chairs first, then APs or counselors, and then him.  After that, maybe downtown.  He has always been very straightforward about that, though.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsJayOK... great story. Yes, now I know better. I even looked in our "handbook" and on the AISD website (after the fact)... I wonder if I wasn't so sleep deprived, anxious, sick baby/husband, etc... I would have had better judgement... Or thought to ask on this board first! : )
  • I'm not a teacher but I came in anyway. I'm sorry this happened to you, I wouldn't have thought it was a big deal to copy HR. I've never worked in a school with a principal so I don't know how uptight they can be about HR. But in my previous jobs if I would have done that, I'm sure my boss wouldn't have cared, or if they did they wouldn't have told me. They would have just worked to make sure I got what I needed. I'm sorry!!!
    Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • ditto JayOK. I'm not teaching now, but yeah- always go to your principal first (OR, if there's a dept. chair between you and them, hit up that person). When you go to HR, you're not giving your boss a chance to resolve the issue, kwim?
  • Wow, that is really vindictive of him!!
  • imageLonghornNAggie:
    Wow, that is really vindictive of him!!

I disagree. The principal is your boss. I can't imagine a situation where it would be ok to go over your boss' head (unless, of course, it was a direct complaint about your boss and you had already tried to work it out w/ them). Both in teaching and other jobs, any of my bosses would have been pissed if I had gone over their head for anything. Chain of command, and all that...

ETA: It's like when you have a parent that goes straight to the principal (or worse, straight to the district offices) w/o talking to you first. It's appreciated when you address the person who has a chance to fix it, first.

• imagemcurban:

imageLonghornNAggie:
    Wow, that is really vindictive of him!!

I disagree. The principal is your boss. I can't imagine a situation where it would be ok to go over your boss' head (unless, of course, it was a direct complaint about your boss and you had already tried to work it out w/ them). Both in teaching and other jobs, any of my bosses would have been pissed if I had gone over their head for anything. Chain of command, and all that...

ETA: It's like when you have a parent that goes straight to the principal (or worse, straight to the district offices) w/o talking to you first. It's appreciated when you address the person who has a chance to fix it, first.

Agreed.  When I was teaching it wouldn't have occurred to me to go to the district office for something like that.  I hope everything works out for the best though!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"