Blended Families
Options

need some advise (long)

I usually don't post here put need input from a parent with older kids. Today is my son's B-day and I had planned on taking him out to dinner tonight (just the 2 of us, DH will be working). So last night he put up a big stink about eating his dinner while we were at my mom's house. Then when we got home I told him to get in the shower, he gave me an attitude, took is time getting in and then spent 15 minutes in there and did nothing (I mean nothing, just stood there under the water). When he got out I yelled at him b/c he didn't wash his hair (it was dry). He then lied right to my face and told me that he did and it had dried already. So his punishment for acting out at my mom's & lying was that we would not go out to dinner tonight.

DH thinks I should lift my punishment and have his punishment be to not get his gift until his party on Sat. I think that if I do that he is still being rewarded for misbehaving. I was thinking of having him choose his punishment between a b-day dinner out or trick-or-treating Friday night. WWYD??

Re: need some advise (long)

• Options

No, I think lifting the punishment sends the wrong message.  You gave him a punishment that was fair for what he did, so - no dinner tonight.  There's nothing to say you can't have a nice dinner in with him (maybe make something he likes) or take him out to dinner tomorrow. 

(For what it's worth, we've had the same problem with our boys - from them not even getting their heads wet to them getting their heads wet but not washing anything.  We now do shower checks afterwards!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This is just me and I'm not sure how you will take this but, I wouldn't give him a choice for his punishment.  His choice should have been listening to you and washing his hair vs. disrespecting people, and lying.  I would not take him to dinner -- it kind of sounds like immediately rewarding him regardless of what he's done.  Is there anything else you can get him to do?  Perhaps some chores so that he can win his dinner back?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm with no dinner tonight.

Just wanted to say congrats on the twins - I saw your post on Multiples earlier.

• Options
    Agree...no dinner. If he is still getting presents on Saturday then tonight would not be his only night to celebrate his B-day. Besides...you already said it...so you may as well stick to it.
  • Options
    I know it's too late for my advice to really matter but personally I would treat his birthday as a nice day and keep all punishments until the next day.  I would hate for him to look back and think that his X birthday stunk because he will never remember why he was in trouble but just that his Dad was not around and Mom did nothing special.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"