Preemies

Feeding questions

1ht

Bug was born at 35/2. He is now 37/1, and only half an ounce away from his birth weight. With full term babies the general guidance is that once they regain their birth weight, you can let them sleep and not wake them to feed. How does this work when the baby is a preemie? I've been waking him every 3 hours to feed, but sometimes slip a little and he goes 4 hours between eating, and then just takes in a bit extra, sometimes he wakes at 2.5 hours.  How long can I plan on waking him to eat? I plan on asking our doc on Monday, but I was curious what others have been told.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feeding questions

• Every dr is different- my pedi wanted me to have her on a 2-3 hour feeding schedule until she hit 10lbs. I think that took us 2 more months to gain the extra 5lbs.
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd ask your doc for sure. LO was born at 30 weeks, came home at 38 weeks at 6 pounds but we woke him up for a few weeks after he came home. The dr told us when we could stop waking him....however, LO stayed on his 3-4 hr schedule w/o us having to wake him, and still eats that way (in the day).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.
  • Loading the player...
  • My son was born at 35 weeks and we had to wake him up every 3 hours to feed him until his due date, then he started waking up on his own.  From there he progressed started taking more EBM each feeding and eventually at about 10 weeks old he started STTN.  He currently takes 4 6oz bottles a day of 24 calorie EBM, in addition to fruit/cereal and veggie combos.. My son would have definitely slept through his feedings if we hadn't woken him up .

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ask your dr.  Ours said every 3 hours (day) or 4 (at night). 

That said, Andrew was wayyyyy sleepy if we woke him and wouldn't eat at all for that feeding or the next b/c he wasn't getting as good of rest, so we told the pedi it didn't make sense.  He let us do a trial without waking - he said as long as he gained weight he didn't care.  He did much better this way b/c he was rested, which he needed to be to eat b/c eating wore him out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"