Natural Birth
Options

My "jump-started" natural birth story

So I can't quite call it natural, I can't quite call it med-free (though pain med-free), but here it is...my "jump-started" pain med-free birth story:

I had an induction scheduled for 41 weeks and I had been doing *everything* to get labor going on its own the past week.  I was to call the hospital on Wednesday February 16 to see when I could come in for Cervidil before starting the whole induction early Thursday morning.  I went on two walks that morning and afternoon and finally started feeling some contractions.  Nothing timeable, nothing painful, just noticeable and encouraging.  I called and was told to come in for Cervidil at 6:30, so DH, my mom and my 3 year old went out to eat at his favorite restaurant before saying goodbye.  We had a great time at dinner, and after picturing spontaneous labor for my whole pregnancy it was SO weird to be saying goodbye to my son, knowing I was going to the hospital to force this baby out.  I watched the nearly full moon the whole drive to the hospital, hoping it would get things moving for me, too.

We got to the hospital and met our lovely nurse.  I was hooked up to the EFM which was registering pretty regular contractions.  So regular she said she couldn't insert the Cervidil; she needed the mw's okay.  DH and I hung out for a while waiting on my mw (who turned out to be my FAVORITE of the practice, yay!).  She checked me and found I was still "a loose 1cm"...ugh!  We went ahead with the Cervidil and began my laying down for the minimum 1 hour before removing it.  More likely, it would stay in overnight and I would be given a sleeping pill to get me ready for the morning.

Well, right at the minimum one hour contractions became very noticeable and I started shaking horribly.  When DH called the nurse to tell her about my shaking she said "Great!" (?!) "It's your body's hormonal response to labor...you're in labor, my dear." Um, okay fantastic, but please stop these shakes, this was not part of my labor with DS.  I got up and went to the bathroom and then my contractions were happening right on top of another without breaks.

At that point (just after 10pm) the mw decided to take the Cervidil out to have my body labor naturally on its own.  One very uncomfortable reach up behind my cervix to pull it out, and nothing.  Couldn't find it.  The nurse reached even higher (how is that possible?) and finally found it after multiple contractions with her up there and got it out, thankfully.  The shakes stopped.

Contractions went back to a normal pattern of rising and ebbing like waves.  I was in the shower rocking back and forth with the mantra "move down, baby". The nurse suggested the birthing ball, which I moved to.  The contractions were becoming more and more intense every other contraction.  I would have a painful contraction, work through it, have another contraction at that level and feel good.  The very next contraction would be significantly more intense and hard work to get through, then repeat.  The intensity was surprising for being in active labor just 1 hour.

At this point I kept thinking about that sleeping pill that had been promised me after the Cervidil.  I really *really* wanted that sleeping pill!  I started thinking "I'm so glad the baby is finally coming, but I'm tired and would really rather sleep right now." lol...  I started needing to pull down to work through each contraction.  I'm so glad DH is much taller than me, it was wonderful to hang on him. 

I looked up at the clock and saw it was nearly midnight and started feeling worried that contractions were this intense and I probably had at least 6 more hours of active labor (that wasn't based on any cervical checks, just an idea that came to mind).  I felt the need to pee and moved to the toilet.  I kept hanging from DH's arms with each contraction and couldn't pee despite the feeling.  Then right at midnight I said "I feel pressure!" and *POP* my water broke into the toilet. I was SO happy that my water spontaneously ruptured (had AROM last time that led to interventions) and just giddy that there was no meconium in it like last time so I could hold my LO right away.

After the next contraction I moved to the bed and yelled "I feel pressure again!"  I was put back on the EFM and LOs heart rate was down in the 50s.  I was checked and at just 7cm but with the next contraction stretched the rest of the way! (my birth story with DS, in bio, was very similar with fast descend after late-in-labor water breaking and baby's hr dropping in response followed by fast delivery)  My MW had me lay on my side, gave me oxygen and told me with the next contraction I was to "push like gangbusters".

During my pg I knew delivery would be different (hopefully no AROM or meconium, spontaneous bearing down rather than episiotomy and told to push) and was mildly concerned about how I'd deal with pushing as I never really pushed when my body said to.  Apparently I didn't need to be concerned because I pushed for a total of 10 minutes!  With my second pushing contraction I got to feel DS's head, and the third contraction he was out and plopped immediately on my chest.  Having missed that opportunity with DS1, I can absolutely say that it is the MOST AMAZING feeling in the world.  I was elated and so blessed to have a delivery that was so very natural.

After a total of 3 hours of labor and 10 minutes of pushing, my Luke Charles was born to two incredibly grateful parents at 7lb 13oz, 21" with a 14.5" head.  My body never had the taste of pitocin, responded just as I hoped it would to the Cervidil and gave me the delivery of my dreams.

A possibility was born the day you were born and will live as long as you live.
CafeMom Tickers .............................. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: My "jump-started" natural birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"