Birth Stories

planned c/s with a surprise start (long)

So, Thursday evening we went out to dinner at Brixx for my sister Robyn's birthday.  We had a great time and Chris and I headed home a bit in shock that we were about to have a baby the next day.  Little did we know how different it would have been to our "plan" and how much better it would be than we thought.

Thursday night was a difficult night sleeping due to the tossing and turning and extra pressure.  I didn't think much of it.  Friday morning, I woke up early and began the day by writing my 39 week/Pre-C-section post for mt blog. 

Let me set the scene for you: 
I began waddling around the house gathering bags and last minute items.  Chris was hanging out watching tv and surfing the web. 

Jeanna: Chris will you come empty the dishwasher? 
Chris: We don't HAVE to empty the dishwasher before we leave.
Jeanna:  I know, but I want to and get the dirty dishes out of the sink.  Then, I want you to help me finish packing and we both need to shower.  Then we can relax 
Chris:    We've got plenty of time, and I am doing something! 

Not even was that out of his mouth when I felt a pop.  I didn't think anything about it till the warm small gush. 
10:30am
Jeanna: I think my water broke!
Chris:  What?  Are you sure?
Jeanna:  um, yes that was more!

Chris threw the lap on the table and began running around.  I waddled to the bathroom and sat on the toilet and more water rushed out along with what I think was the rest of my mucus plug.  Chris brought me my cell phone and I called our Drs office.  Within 5 minutes we knew that they were sending info over to the hospital that we were to leave for the hospital immediately.  But first I still had to clean up myself up and by this point Chris is half dressed asking me what we need to pack, basically freaking out!  I was pretty calm because I knew that all I had to do was look at my list.  He kept asking if I needed my contact lens case and my glasses.  "No and yes, just let me get my list honey and I will tell you exactly what I need.  But first I want to finish getting dressed!  We are FINE, there was no blood.  Water breaking doesn't mean that he will be here in 10 minutes, stop freaking out." 

I got to my list and told Chris what I needed, he got the car packed in record time; as we were out the door in 15 minutes.  The drive to the hospital was 45 minutes, but we made it in 35.  We began by calling our parents to let them know what was happening and had them make the phone calls to the extended family.  I began noticing my contractions were getting stronger.  They were about 8 minutes apart when we left for the hospital and about 4 minutes apart when we got there.  Let me tell you they were no joke it was the real thing. 

At the hospital, Chris dropped me off at the maternity admissions entrance.  I filled out the little sheet of paper and soon the woman was putting an arm bracelet on me and I had signed all the forms.  They took me back to an exam room, we got to listen to his perfect heartbeat and see my contractions build.

At this point, they took blood and were checking for the next available OR.  We thought we were going to have to have the on call Dr do the c/s, but I let the nurses know that our Dr. L was on call at 1pm (it was about 12:30 at this point) and was going to try to make it to do the surgery herself.  If I have learned anything it is that YOU have to be so proactive in the hospital.  You need to know what you want and let EVERYONE know!

Things get really fast and blurry at this point.  Basically, they got the phone call from Dr. L that she was able to switch her surgeries and I got the 1ish spot.  I was then wheeled on the bed to the OR.  I met so many people so fast and before I knew it Chris was left behind and I was headed to the spinal block and we were having OUR BABY!!!

I got really stressed with the separation from Chris.  There was too many hospital people running around and telling me a lot of info very quickly.  I felt I didn't have the time to process and the contractions were making it difficult to think.  Before I knew it I was getting the spinal block and clinging to a nurse named Wanda.  Poor lady she offered her arm and I was hugging her shoulder for dear life and about broke her back.  Soon the spinal was in and they kept asking if I could feel the pinch, yes, yes, yes, yes it is getting lighting, did you feel that?....me: what?  dr: we are good!  Thankfully, Dr L kept reassuring me she wouldn't start without making sure I was numb.  This is where another nurse was talking to me and I was like please distract me; but it didn't work very well and I began to tear up.  FINALLY, Chris came in.  Later, he told me that they brought him in because I was losing it.  It is really weird to know they are about to slice you open, even though it is a surgery that happens everyday.

Basically, the next bit is a huge blur.  They didn't really tell me they had started, but they said he is almost here and I broke down just so ready to know he was here ALIVE.  Then I felt this weight lift and they said he was out.  Then it seemed like forever for him to cry but I think it was only a few seconds.  They lifted his body over the curtain for a few seconds and he looked like a newborn covered in the gook.  Then they whisked him to the room next door before I could blink.  I could sort of see him through the glass, but Chris was blocking the view!  Finally, I said something to a nurse and they told the new daddy let momma see!  I could see him laying in the little table and just crying.  He was so light pink compared to now.

After a LONG while they let me see him.  It was so surreal to lay on the table like in the movies and take the pictures like I've seen others do.  I couldn't really see him because the blanket he was wrapped in was so bulky and they had the funniest cheapy hat on him.  It looked like a stocking with a rubber band at the top! 

So, Owen headed to the nursery and Chris followed.  It was a long time while they were fixing me up.  I do remember hearing the staples and thankfully a nurse was nearby to talk to me to distract me!!  I kept asking a bunch of questions because I didn't want to think about what they were actually doing behind that curtain.

They wheeled me into the post op room and my first question was "when do I get my baby back? I want to breastfeed him ASAP!  They were not very promising.  I know they checked me for a bunch of stuff and started the pain meds with a shot in my leg while I was still numb.  I turned down about 4 medications while I was back there.  I didn't want anything that would keep Owen away from me a moment longer. Let me say my Dr. rocks, I heard her talking to the nurses and telling them to get the baby down here and about our loss last year. 

All of a sudden the curtain pulled back and I saw Chris and a hospital bassinet!  Oh, my I can't even describe the feeling when they put him in my arms.  I still feel like an impostor, but I am so in love with my new little man.  We got him to latch!  Everyone was so impressed!  Too soon did they have to head back to the nursery. 

Finally, back in our room we were a little family together and soon our things and visitors arrived.

TTC#1: 14 months on our own (did HSG, b/w, SA);
BFP on Cycle 14--TWINS! Identical twin boys stillborn at 19wks(1/9/10)
3 break cycles; took clomid 50mg, BFP #2 Beta #1 35, Beta #2 338!!! Owen was born 2/11/11! 
TTC#2: 4 cycles on clomid: BFNs
BFP #3: Cycle #5 100mg clomid; beta #1 21; beta #2 6=CP 
Cycle #6 break cycle TTC no meds=BFN
Cycle #7: 150 clomid+ovidril+IUI=BFN (switched to RE)
Cycle #8: follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle #9 Forced break due to cyst
Cycle #10 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle #11 follistem+ovidril+TI=BFN
Cycle#12 Forced break due to cyst, went on BCP; did repeat HSG, Saline U/S
Cycle #13 IVF: Follistim/Menapur ER 11-30 11 eggs, 5 mature, 4 fertilized and 3dt on 12-3; BFN
Cycle #14: IVF#2 lupron/follistim/menopur ER 1-22, 19 eggs, 14 fertilized, 5dt on 1-27, BFP!! beta 1: 63, beta 2: 119; EDD 10-15-13; 1 frozen embie
Miracle Surprise BFP, EDD 10-1-15; saw HB great Betas, 11weeks lost baby MC at home
Moved forward with FET transfered solo frostie on 6-4-15, beta 1: 315, beta 2: 738, u/s showed one baby on track EDD 2-21-16

Re: planned c/s with a surprise start (long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"