Adoption

Question About Home Study

Btw, is that one word or two?

How "prepared" were you for a baby when you had your home study done?  Did you have a nursery for the baby set up and decorated, stocked w/ everything you'd need?  Did you just have a room for the baby not converted to a nursery yet?  How important do you think this was for a) the SW and b) the BM?

We live in a 1 bed apt. in Manhattan.  The bedroom is definitely big enough to put a crib and changing table, but at this time we don't have a bedroom for a baby.  We are however looking to buy something, we just aren't sure what yet - either a 2 bedroom in the city or a house in the 'burbs.  Real estate isn't easy around here.  

I'm really worried about having a SW come into our 1 bed apt. and say we're not ready for a baby. 

TTC in 2008. Stage II/III endo, Hashimotos hypothyroid, low morph (3%).
2 cycles Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/Crinone=BFN.
IUI #1 - 4 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI/Crinone = BFN.
IVF #1 - Antagonist w/ ICSI 4/10. 17 retrieved, 5DT of 2, BFN :(
IVF #2 - Long Lupron w/ ICSI 6/10. 15 retrieved, 3DT of 2, BFFN!!
Lap 7/21/10
IVF #3 - Clomid/Antagonist w/ ICSI 10/10. 14 retreived, 3DT of 3, BFP 10/20 but m/c. No HB 11/15/10 - D&C 11/17/10.
FET - 2 blasts, 1 survived the thaw. Transfer 2/19. Beta #1 3/1 375, Beta #2 3/3 885, Beta #3 3/8 4261, Beta #4 3/11 9005. U/S 3/8 1 sac 1 yolk, U/S 3/16 1 heartbeat 114bpm!

James born Oct. 24th 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP - Jack born April 28, 2013 via VBAC after PTL at 33 1/2 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question About Home Study

• Discuss this with the SW before they visit your home. Some agencies want to see some sort of setup, some don't. They will be able to give you guidance upfront on what you need to have set up, if anything. Ours definitely didn't. We just needed to show we lived in a comfortable home that was able to accommodate a child.

DD's BM didn't even know what our house looked like. I don't think we had any house pictures in our profile, much less a picture of a nursery.

ETA: If you're planning on moving soon, you'll have to redo the home portion of the homestudy if you move and have already completed it in your apt. Just something to keep in mind.

• imageDr.Loretta:

Discuss this with the SW before they visit your home. Some agencies want to see some sort of setup, some don't. They will be able to give you guidance upfront on what you need to have set up, if anything. Ours definitely didn't. We just needed to show we lived in a comfortable home that was able to accommodate a child.

DD's BM didn't even know what our house looked like. I don't think we had any house pictures in our profile, much less a picture of a nursery.

ETA: If you're planning on moving soon, you'll have to redo the home portion of the homestudy if you move and have already completed it in your apt. Just something to keep in mind.

I agree. You will more than likely have at least 2 visits. Here's what we did....for our first home visit, we had our crib set up in the nursery but that was it. There was still a bed in there and everything. But by her second visit, we had it cleaned out and looking more like a nursery. But we did not paint or decorate till after we were matched. Actually, DH started painting the night before he was born. Funny how things work out.

It may be different with an agency, but in general a SW is looking to see that you can provide a safe, healthy place with adequate space for a baby. Not it's own room and all the frills. They aren't looking to turn you down (in general). Most WANT to approve you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with Dr.L. If you move, you will have to have your home study updated. Even if it is up the block!

For us, we had (2) visits. One was a walk-through of the house and the other was a sit down and talk meeting. We cleaned up, but didn't go crazy. It is your home and it won't be perfect once you have a baby. The SW wants to know that you are ready for a baby in that respect.

Our nursery at that time looked like a construction zone because we were renovating the room. The crib was covered with tarps. But, she was able to see what our plans were. Think of it almost like you are showing your home to a prospective buyer kind of.

HTH! 

• We are fostering, but had to have 2 visits before we were licensed.  When we specified our age range, the SW told us that we had to have the sleeping arrangements already up.  So, we have a bed and a crib.  No supplies yet./..
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We didn't have anything for a baby when we did the homestudy. We had to do a small amount of child-proofing (locks on cabinets with chemicals/meds if they were low, and outlet covers) Other than that the SW basically wanted to make sure we just had a safe environment to raise a child. She did have to look in all the rooms, and take a picture of the future nursery (which at that time was a guest room). I would definately ask her about potentially moving, because I'm sure they'll have to redo the home visit.

As for the BM, I didn't include a pic of the nursery in our profile, and I think most people don't. In fact, I've heard it's actually discouraged. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.  We did include pictures of our house, but you don't have to.

After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"