TTC after 35

Is a HSG necessary?

I am new to this site so I am sorry if the question has been covered already.... and please excuse me if this comes off as a very simple minded question, but my husband and I are just beginning to work my physician.  I had some blood work done at the beginning of the week and from this bloodwork he is asking that I have a hsg test done.  I had a miscarriage in July of 2009 so I really doubt that my tubes are blocked.  This is all new to me, so I guess I am asking should I just relax and go with the flow or is this something I could question. 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is a HSG necessary?

• It's necessary for them - to make sure you don't have a new large growth (small polps or fibriods might not be seen on an HSG) in your uterus, etc.

I doubted mine would show blockage (no history of STD, surgeries, things that could cause blockage) and it didn't. It's not too bad of a test, and most MD's want it.

We did HSG and SA, and then b/w.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Ok. Thanks! I truly appreciate your help.  I just did not know what to think when she told me she wanted this test.
  • Loading the player...
  • I ws shocked too when my RE asked for it. If your insurance covers it, there is no reason not to do it. It's just a few minutes of discomfort and you can learn so much. I had a partially blocked left tube and didn't  know it. The HSG cleared it out though.

Studies suggest you are up to 30% more likely to get pregnant within the months following an HSG due to the oil-based dye lubricating the tube.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Yes an HSG is necessary. They see everything through an ultrasound and if your tubes are blocked or semi-blocked, the "dye" will clear them. I have also heard that after HSG, you are more likely to get a BFP. Unfortunately this didn't happen with me but I have known people that got lucky right away.

I would do all the tests possible. Each has its own purpose. Make sure you take alot of Ibuprophen prior to HSG, it does have alot of cramping and especially if tubes are blocked.

I'm sorry that you miscarried :(, however your tubes could still be blocked. Remember only one tube is used each month. So the month you were PG, doesnt mean that the other tube wasnt blocked. Does that make any sense?? I dont know how else to explain.

Good luck to you :)    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Def. do it.  You learn so much and even if you learn that there was nothing to learn, that is still something!  You may hear horror stories about it but, I think just like birth stories, people just like tell you when it was awful.

Mine was fine. In fact, I shopped at Costco, got my passport and worked from home the afternoon of my HSG.

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• I had a funny experience at my HSG.  I got really nervous and when they took me back to this big empty cold room and it was just me and the technician who was a guy.  No one else. 

He takes me back to this row of changing rooms and hands me gown and I start freaking out.  I can feel my blood pressure rise and I get this flight urge.  I swear, I almost packed up my stuff and ran. 

I was thinking "just me, and this guy" "this random guy is going to stick a cath up my vajay jay.  oh hell no." 

So I Say "um, where is the girl? Isn't there going to be a girl in here with me."  So he goes and gets a nurse and she was awesome.  Really calming and nice and we chatted, and I feel so much better.

Then the Dr. comes in and I'm laughing at myself because I really thought this little technician guy was going to do the procedure not a Dr. now I have three people in the room with me and all attention on me so I'm a little embarrassed.  But the procedure was fairly quick and not very painful.  And it's so cool to see your parts on the screen.  So cool. 

So the moral of the story is don't freak out like I did, it's no big deal.

IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • Thank you all for the information.  I did do more research on the internet last night and called my insurance company I think we are going to give it a try. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"