Adoption

Anyone adopting a little girl from China?

My husband and I have talked about possibly adopting a baby girl from China a few years down the line. Is anyone doing/done this? How did you find the process? Where is a good place to start to learn about this and get information? I lurk on this board sometimes, and am so happy for all of you getting your babies soon!
Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12

Re: Anyone adopting a little girl from China?

• DH & I adopted our daughter from China in 2003. We chose China because the process was fairly predictable at that time. At that time the entire process was around 18 months start to finish. Now, I know that the wait times are much longer - referrals are at 2 1/2 - 3 years, so if you're interested in doing this a few years down the line, you may want to start soon. Also, China has instituted a number of new regulations that are pretty stringent so you may want to check into them to make sure you're eligible.

Our experience was a very positive one (in China at least). Our daughter was 10 1/2 months when we got her and was in very good health, had been in foster care and there is no doubt that she was well cared for and about. 

Feel free to page me if you have any questions or need more info.

BB&J

• Just to reiterate PP, I was just talking to our adoption worker and she said China's regulations are tightening, and they are starting to close as an option, and over the next few years will get harder and harder.

She mentioned just the sheer amout of girls being adopted has left the population unbalanced and they are running out of women for men to marry...I guess it goes to show you when you are forced into family planning by the govt, it will eventually back fire.

• Loading the player...
  • Agreeing w/PPs.

Depending on your motivation, a few options other than China....

Ethiopia-  right now, is one one of the easier countries to from and as of 6 months ago, it was more affordable than China or Russia.

Kyrgygstan (sp?)-  this program is new and so the restrictions are fewer than other countries.  The kids are fantastic (friends of friends have adopted twice from Kyrg.  Most are part Mongol and part Turk. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"