D.C. Area Babies
Options

WWYD flight (kinda long)

DH's former roommate is becoming a priest in St. Paul.  We want to go see the ordination over Memorial Day Weekend (Fri to Sun/Mon).

Anyway, DD will be 17 months and has done great with two previous flights to Orlando (non-stop 2.5 hours). I keep trying to watch for cheap airfare from all three WAS airports and the prices aren't really budging.  So here are the "best" options:

Delta: 2.75 hr non-stop flight for $627 plus $25 per bag (non-refundable flight)

Southwest: change planes in Chi going/4 hr w/stop in MO home for $871 (but I love SW's change policy and if the price goes down, we can always rebook and get the difference for another trip)

I am generally SW loyal (though not enough for ff pts).  I imagine that we will need to check one bag.  I've had a bad experience w/ hotel "cribs" in the past, so I was planning on bringing the pack-n-play as well, which would add an extra $100 to the cost of the ticket if we booked Delta, plus having to check the carseat.

Delta really looks like a better option in terms of times of flights and being non-stop.  I don't want to wait too much longer in case the prices go up, but I'd really prefer the flexibility of SW's ticket, especially with the baby.  

I feel like I am crazy for thinking that.  What would you do?  Or would you just wait a bit longer?

And does it drive anyone else crazy that flying to CA is cheaper than flying 1/2 the distance  :) ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD flight (kinda long)

• Options

Flight prices are super ridiculous! I would do the Delta flight since it is non-stop. I would not worry about the pack-n-play since lo is so big, can lo sleep between you and dh for the few nights? Or there are places that rent baby gear. I think lugging the pack-n-play would stink. 

SW is more flexible but are you pretty certain that you will go- then no worries. Book it! :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I can understand your preference for SW, but IMHO the option for a nonstop flight with a 1 year old trumps that preference.  And my guess is that considering the fact that it is Memorial Day weekend, I would be very surprised if prices went down...but on that topic, if you book through Orbitz and someone else books the same itinerary for less, you'll get a refund of the difference. I was a total skeptic on this policy until last year when we got a $450 check from Orbitz after booking a trip.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm with the others - go nonstop! We traveled with DD at that age and on both the outgoing and returning flight had delays that made us miss the connecting flight. One way we got stuck midway and had to spend the night, the other we ended up getting back at about 1 am. I would totally pay anything for a nonstop from here on out...

Have fun!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto non-stop.  Prolonging the potential agony of traveling/flying with a little one is not worth saving money or gaining flexibility. 
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

I knew that's what I should do, but I just needed someone to tell me.  Thanks!

I wasn't even thinking how big she'd be, so maybe we will just stick her in bed with us forgoing the pack-n-play.  

Thanks so much!

• Options

to avoid traveling with a pack and play, Marriott properties have a slip cover that they provide with their pack and plays....it's laundered after every guest. You can also buy the slip cover for the pack and plays...I think it's called CoverPlay.

• Options
    imagerubride:

to avoid traveling with a pack and play, Marriott properties have a slip cover that they provide with their pack and plays....it's laundered after every guest. You can also buy the slip cover for the pack and plays...I think it's called CoverPlay.

That's a good idea.  Or BYO crib sheet.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"