Single Parents
Options

question about pell grants

I filled out my FAFSA and afterward it said I qualify for $xx for a Pell Grant. So I decided to go back to school this fall. However, with work and DD, I can only manage part time. My stepmom told me that I won't qualify for the Pell Grant unless I go to school full time. Anyone know if this is true???
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: question about pell grants

• Options
    No, I don't think that's true. I went 3/4 time and the amount was just adjusted accordingly. Just to be sure I would call the financial aid office at the college you plan to go to, as that's a pretty easy question for them to answer. Good luck!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for responding :)

I knew I wouldn't get the full amount offered, but I just wanted to clarify I would still get some amount of grant money. I really want to work on getting a degree but I can't afford to pay for school and my credit is so bad I don't even know if I'd be able to get any loans for it. Ugh, I was getting so worried about that haha

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You have to take a minimum number of units to qualify as part time.  For my school its 6 units.  From there they will prorate the grant according to how much the tuition is at your school.  I would call your school's financial office because you aren't just given the money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageblondnearby:
    You have to take a minimum number of units to qualify as part time.  For my school its 6 units.  From there they will prorate the grant according to how much the tuition is at your school.  I would call your school's financial office because you aren't just given the money.

This is correct. Here in MN part time is (I believe) 7.5/8? Also check to see what the credit minimum is for state grants as there are new government guidelines. For MN I would have to take a minimum of 14cr for a state grant of $313....I only take 12cr so I don't get a state grant

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • Options

Agree with PPers that you do have to be at least part time.  Pell is federal and they consider 6 undergrad hours as part time, so you should be fine.  But you also mentioned your credit and being worried about not being able to get loans.  Of course take any grants you can get first, but federal loans such as Stafford are not based on credit, so you should qualify for those as well if you need them.  Make sure to check with your financial aid office about these if your Pell doesn't cover what you need.  These can also help with things such as books, expenses, etc.

Congrats on going back to school!

• Options
    I am planning on doing 2 classes per semester, which is 6 credit hours at my school. The amount they quoted me for the grant is wayyy more than tuition would be, and I've also been told that they'll let me use some of the difference to buy textbooks and school supplies. At this point, I really can't think of a reason I shouldn't go back to school. I'm not getting any younger! lol I just want to work toward making a better life for DD and myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"