D.C. Area Babies

Whew! I survived changing daycares...(long)

Tomorrow we are moving to a house that is 25 minutes away from where we currently live. I agonized for weeks over whether to make DD change daycares when we moved. I felt like it may be too much change for her because we are moving, she would be changing daycares, and we have a new baby coming in a few months. However, DH works from home and usually does drop-offs so I didn?t want him to have a 1 hour commute every morning just to take her to daycare.

I loved everything about the daycare she was in since she was 3 months old. It was a center-based daycare that was top-notch and reasonably priced. In our new neighborhood, we couldn?t quite afford a center-based daycare so we had to go with an in-home option which worried me just because I?m not used to it.

On Friday, when I dropped her off for her last day at the old daycare, I cried on the way home. Then when I picked her up, the teacher gave me a going away card for her that all of the kids had colored on. I cried all the way home again. I questioned whether I was making the right decision. But then I tried to tell myself that change is a normal part of life and that she will have to learn to adapt.

Well, yesterday was her first day at the new daycare. DH dropped her off and said she seemed a bit timid at first but was okay. Yesterday evening I was looking for signs of clinginess, trauma or distress but she was as bubbly and happy as ever. This morning, DH went to drop her off and he said the teacher helped her take off her shoes at the door and then she ran excitedly into the play room and didn?t even say good-bye to him. I realize now that everything is going to be just fine.

I am writing this post because I know we all agonize about decisions related to our children. It is so hard being a mom sometimes. I feel like it can be so emotionally taxing at times. Hopefully this experience will help remind me that everything is going to be okay and that kids are very adaptable. Anyway, I just had to share. I'm relieved that it looks like the new daycare is going to work out just fine.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Whew! I survived changing daycares...(long)

• so glad things went well and you are feeling better!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am glad to hear it worked out!  I love how LO's love to make liars of us!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • How great that she has adapted so quickly!  Little kids are really amazing sometimes.
    imageimageimage
  • Glad the transition went so well!  Sometimes the things we agonize over the nost go the easiest.
  • Oh my gosh - that card sounds so sweet! Glad you guys survived. Good luck with the move tomorrow!
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yay!  That is wonderful news.  It's always amazing to me how adaptable LOs are.
  • that's great!

kids are really so adaptable!

• Thanks for this post! We're hoping to move soon and changing daycares is the what I worry about the most.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Thanks so much for posting this!  we are in a very similar situation. We moved two months ago and DS and DH commute to daycare/work together which is a long commute but the center is on a military base and very affordable.  When DH gets out of the military in the end of May we will need to find a new daycare for him and the new little one.  I would love to put him in a center as there are a lot of good ones in waldorf but don't think we can afford it with the costs.  Most likely they will both go to an in home daycare- just need to find one that I feel comfortable with.  I already feel bad that he is going through a new transition to the 2-3 year old classroom starting this week and then in 2 months will be home with me for a few months with a new baby brother.  I think transitions seem to be harder on us mom's than our kids. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • YesYesYes
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"