Special Needs
Options

Update on the Cupcake's EarlySteps appt.

Sorry I haven't really posted anything since the referral was sent off.. there really hasn't been anything to update on.

My husband met with the case handler earlier this month & decided based on the interview with him & that the initial testing that indicated Imogen had a 0 for communication & a 3 for personal/social, Imogen was eligible to move on to the next step (mixed emotions came with that).

We got another in-home appointment, but this time it was for some play/testing with Imogen & a very lovely lady that my husband chose as our case worker & everything seemed to be okay. She managed to catch Imogen on a "good" day so there weren't any breakdowns or screaming. 

Well, she called yesterday to tell my husband that she is recommending that we put Imogen into ST & OT twice a month. They are coming over on 3/4 to discuss her testing with me.

I really don't know what to expect from OT, ST or this upcoming meeting. Does anyone know what happens on the 3rd visit? Will I have to pick a therapist? Will Imogen get a diagnosis? What is OT for a 17 month old exactly? 

I'm so confused. & a little scared. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Update on the Cupcake's EarlySteps appt.

• Options

OT will depend on what exactly your child needs.

DS2 has CP and he is not quite 17mos old.  OT for him is working on pointing and pincer grasp with his right hand.  We are working on grabbing, gripping, holding, not fisting, raising his arm, and crossing midline with his left hand.  Both arms we are working on protective reflexes and weight bearing through his arms and shoulders. We are also working on him not using his ring and pinky fingers on both hands as his main source of gripping and holding since it was explained to me that the thumb, pointer, and middle fingers are the "doer" fingers and the ring and pinky fingers are the stabilizer fingers.  DS2 does with the ring/pinky on both hands.

Anyway, not sure if that is what you will be working on and what you meant by "what is OT for a 17mos old exactly".  

• Options

First, good for you and DH for being such fantastic parents for your DD and going through all this.  It's definitely an intimidating scene at first, but it's such an important step to take if your kiddo is having trouble with something.

Anyway, different states handle it differently, so I can't really tell you exactly what will happen, but it sounds like they'll just sit down and talk through the testing and what they found.  They won't give you a diagnosis (they aren't allowed to, they're just therapists and evaluators - if you want a diagnosis a developmental pedi is probably the place to go) but they may be willing to discuss whether they think you should pursue further testing.

As for therapists, in VA they get assigned to you and once they've been assigned they call you to schedule the first appointment.  Early intervention appointments are usually in your home or daycare, and it's great if a parent can be there because they'll give you exercises and play strategies to incorporate in your time with DD as well. 

OT for a little one is really pretty fun - they'll do a lot of playing with her.  Really all her therapies at that age should seem like playing.  If your DD has sensory issues, they may do things like bring swings or pillows or trampolines and things, or they may have her play with boxes of rice (putting her hands in there and finding things), etc.  If your DD has fine motor issues, they'll work with her on stacking blocks, putting beads on string, scribbling with crayons.   

ST can take on a couple dimensions too, depending on what your DD's issues are.  If your DD has feeding issues or articulation trouble, they'll do oral-motor exercises with her.  If she has the motor control and tone to speak but for some reason isn't, they'll work with her on eliciting language.  If she has other communication issues (doesn't point, etc.) they'll work with her on understanding how to express herself.  Again, it should mostly feel like playing.

Try not to be nervous - you're doing the right thing and once you get going DD will probably enjoy herself most of the time! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That's exactly what I was asking :D thank you.

She doesn't point or gesture & she doesn't use her index finger to press buttons, she just slams her whole had or uses her thumb. Plus, she is very unstable & falls down fairly often or will just barrel into things without a care. Those are probably what they want to work on her with. 

• Options
    The instability and running into things might be a sensory thing - having trouble knowing where her body is in space.  So you might see them "roughhousing" with her, or like I said using a swing or using a pillow to "squish" her.  DD loves that.  They may also give you some techniques to do at home, like deep squeezes and joint compressions.
  • Options

Y'all, when I first posted about my concerns with Imogen's behavior on the 12-24m board they said to come over here to SN & ask because y'all would know more & be able to answer most, if not all, of my questions with an abundance of information & first hand experience.. let me just say that I am so so so very happy I took their advice.

This whole time I battled with "Is there a problem or am I crazymom?" & "Every single one of her set backs is my fault, because I am a crappy mom" within myself, & then had to listen to other people (Imogen's nurse practitioner, my husband, SIL & my own mom) blow me off & tell me that she is perfect, is "anti-social", is just "bored with me" because I am home with her so often, & that this was just a phase.

I came here & halfway expected y'all to be dismissive of my concerns as everyone else who know me & my daughter personally have been, but no. Y'all have been informative, caring, & were able to point me in the right direction to help my little girl grow. I cried the first time someone took me seriously (which was right here, on this board), because for the first time in 9 months I didn't feel crazy or alone.

Thank you thank you thank you. 

• Options
    Generally a diagnosis will come from a doctor.  OT for a 17 month old is generally a lot of fine motor through play - and it will depend on the current ability level.  For my daughter it was generally shape sorter, stacking blocks, nesting cups, putting small items into containers, using her fingers to point at pictures in books and learning to do basic puzzles.  For ST, it's mostly communicating through play so associating words with play activities and eating activities and incorporating signs and gestures into everyday activity.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"