Hawaii Babies
Options

Traveling with a newborn?

So MH won another trip this year through work and this time it's to the Big Island!  The trip is scheduled for May 3rd, which should put LO at 1 month old at this point.  Originally I told MH that it would be best if he didn't go and took a cash payout since I didn't want to be by myself with a newborn and let's face it...I didn't want him to go to HI w/out me! ;)

Has anyone here traveled with a LO that young and if so did everything go ok?  Are there things you need to prior to doing this or should I stop thinking about HI for this year? ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
| Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
| Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |

Re: Traveling with a newborn?

• Options

Oh my gosh, that would be SO tempting to me... sooo tempting.  MHO would be to not go, though.  That first month is absolutely exhausting.  Sometimes I didn't know left from right and although Hawaii would be a nice getaway it's not something I would want to do with a one month old.  You'll be BF'ing/feeding around the clock and won't be able to enjoy the vacation as much.  Those are just my .02 :)  Too bad you couldn't wait and see how you feel one month in?  Maybe you'll be blessed with a great sleeper, hehe.  Our LO was up every hour or two that first month and I was beyond tired all the time.

You are SO close now... I cannot wait to see your LO! :D 

I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

• Options
    Hmm, I tend to agree with Tara.  I was a zombie that first month, not to mention dealing with the awful baby blues/post-partum hormonal roller coaster.  I'd also be worried about LO getting sick, especially catching something from people on the plane.  Do you know where on the Big Island you would be?  Another thing to think about is the vog.  It's been pretty bad lately.  It might not bother you, but it just depends on where you are and which direction the wind is blowing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the other ladies, I would be so tempted buuuut looking back it would be way to hectic to travel to HI with a baby at 1 month. I had a c-section so the recovery was a PITA I can't imagine being up and about so much. Also, the plane ride- since your LO will not have any shots I wouldn't risk him getting sick or catching something from other people.
    Maybe get a cash payout and put it towards a HI trip when your LO is a little older. We went to the BI when my LO was almost 5 months and he did sooooooo good the whole time :)
  • Options

You should talk to your doctor... Have you picked a pediatrician yet? That's who you need to talk to.

Our pediatrician said Alexa was too young at 3 months to make the trip from DC to Hawaii because of the risk of getting sick from the plane. Of course we were talking about making the trip in Dec, which is flu season. And it was in 2009, when the threat of swine flu was the highest. But, still. You should talk to the dr.

Babies get certain shots at 2 months and 3 months that are very important. At 1 month, they have almost ZERO immunity! If a baby has a fever before 2 months, it's extremely serious and means they go to the hospital and have to have invasive checks on their organs. You wouldn't want this to happen so far from home!

Just some things to think about! It's tempting, but I think at 1 month, a cash out might be wiser.

Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thank you ladies!  That is just the information I needed.  I figured he would be WAY to young and my biggest concern would be for him to be on the plane with little or no immunity. 

Just talked to MH and he agrees with taking the cash payout and we will go to HI later on or maybe next year when little man is a little older :)  Thanks again ladies! :)

| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • Options

I guess I am late posting but I'll tell you that we traveled with Miss A when she was 6 wks old (in Dec) before she really had any shots.  MH is super anal about stuff like that but when we asked our pedi if it was ok, she said it was fine, even though she was born in the middle of flu season (and H1N1).  she said that as long as we took the usual precautions and did not let anyone touch her on the plane, that it was probably just fine.  so we wiped down everything in the plane that was around us when we sat down but really that was only a precaution b/c at that stage they aren't mobile and aren't touching anything anyway.  we were sitting by ourselves so no one even asked to (or attempted) to touch her.  our pedi said when she had her 1st baby she was super cautious too and probably would have said no to our question abut after having a 2nd baby and allowing her mother to throw a "pass the baby around" party when she was just a newborn, she is more lax about that stuff now.  we were not sure about DH's grandmother's health and that was the only time he had off and he really wanted her to meet Miss A before she passed (thankfully she is still w/us, but you never know....) so that is why we traveled w/her when she was so young

as for the traveling part it was soooooooooo easy. at that stage all she did was wake up, nurse, and go back to sleep on the plane.  so much easier than now, since she is older and mobile and needs entertaining.  she did not cry on the plane at all - though every baby is different.   we didn't even have to pack a travel crib b/c we made a make shift bed for her w/our suitcase :)

that said, the others bring up good points and it does kind of suck to be in paradise and stuck indoors w/your LO.  you spend lots of time feeding, burping, changing diapers, etc. but, if you're ok with just relaxing, and occasionally being outside to enjoy hawaii then you should be fine.  I did spend lots of time nursing and having her nap at that stage but i was also able to visit w/family and hang out etc.  I should also note that she was a fairly good sleeper at that point, sleeping a good 4-6 hr stretch overnight before getting up to nurse, so i wasn't too exhausted to enjoy the trip.

the cash payout for a later trip is fine, just saying that if you really wanted to go, it is not that bad and totally do-able, as long as you have the right expectations. and if you push it back, know that you'll still be in a similar boat (busy w/the baby, not able to do a lot) pretty much until your LO drops that morning nap (around 15-18 months).  otherwise by the time you get them up, fed, changed, etc. you don't have a ton of time to go anywhere before they need their morning nap.  you'd be able to go out on the beach for a little but you wouldn't be able to go exploring a lot, esp since everything is soooooooooooo spread out on the big island and requires a fair amount of driving time.

so anyway, i am not sure what i would do if i was in your shoes, just trying to play devil's advocate and point out both sides of the coin :)

• Options

Ditto pretty much everything Jaime said.  We took Kaya to Hawaii at 6 weeks.  It was March, so still flu season, I guess.  But I wasn't too worried about it.  I just made sure everyone washed their hands and all that.  The neonatologists at work said they thought it was fine and it was.  She didn't get sick and she was held by lots of family and friends.  It was definitely easiest to travel with her then.  Our subsequent travels have been more challenging since she's much more active. 

I'd be more worried about you and how you'll feel at that point.  I'm sure you'll be exhausted and won't really be able to enjoy the vacation.

• Options

Your DH always gets so lucky winning these free trips to HI! I'm jealous!! lol.

i agree with all the ladies have said. as much as i LOVE to travel to HI, i dont think i would have when E was a month old. first few weeks you just do whatever you need to do to survive lol. adding the stress of being in an uunfamiliar setting with a newborn would have been too much for me. i agree about getting the cash out now and just saving it for a trip when your LO will be a tad bigger and when you all will be able to enjoy the trip :).  

• Options

So tempting!  But honestly, I barely even remember the first month....it was such a blur!  It was wonderful, but overwhelming.  I cannot even imagine getting ready for a trip as well.  At 2-3 months, maybe.  But there's no way I could have traveled at 1 month.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"