Washington Babies
Options

Must share and need thoughts

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/1/49661396/ShowThread.aspx

what are your feelings on this pic.

me = hellz to the  no!!! I had a family member killed by a gun that was suppose to be unloaded so it scares the fdkashjgfjksahg;hsak out of me! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Must share and need thoughts

• Options
    I personally think guns should never be toys, should never be toyed around with "for fun", etc... I personally do not want to own a gun, but I respect that some people do, and have legitimate reasons for having them.  But I think part of that is teaching the children in the home the proper respect for what guns can do and not treating them lightly as a joke.  Kids don't know the difference between this time "just for a photo op" and next time when they find the gun or want to show it off to a friend. 
  • Options
    I don't like that either. DH has one hand gun that is kept in a lock box. I feel okay with that in the house but anything bigger than that not a chance. I wouldn't let my child anywhere near that gun let alone allow it to be in my house.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OK weird... she goes on to explain that they're a military family so there's no way they can keep their kids from the guns so instead they keep them out and let them learn about them?   That doesn't make sense to me.  I still think you can lock up guns even if you're in the military.  Unless your house is where you snipe from and you need the gun out to shoot people?  I don't get it. 
  • Options

My thoughts: guns should be handled by responsible adults and ALWAYS treated as loaded and pointed in a safe direction.  If a YOUTH (not a child or baby) is going to be handling one, they should be supervised by said responsible adult.

I don't really think photographing babies next to weapons of any kind is funny though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    I personally think guns should never be toys, should never be toyed around with "for fun", etc... I personally do not want to own a gun, but I respect that some people do, and have legitimate reasons for having them.  But I think part of that is teaching the children in the home the proper respect for what guns can do and not treating them lightly as a joke.  Kids don't know the difference between this time "just for a photo op" and next time when they find the gun or want to show it off to a friend. 

Agreed. 

• Options
    And she DD.
  • Options
    I can't see it, but it sounds like it's incredibly inappropriate.
  • Options
    mishquiche it was a picture of a baby in a diaper next to a sniper rifle.
  • Options

imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    OK weird... she goes on to explain that they're a military family so there's no way they can keep their kids from the guns so instead they keep them out and let them learn about them?   That doesn't make sense to me.  I still think you can lock up guns even if you're in the military.  Unless your house is where you snipe from and you need the gun out to shoot people?  I don't get it. 

I was thinking this.

We are a military family, too, but I wouldn't let Livy mess around with one of DH's weapons.  I guess I understand that she thought it was cute, but I think it's poor taste.  I put Livy in DH's uniform jacket...THAT was cute, playing with a rifle...not so much.  I fully intend to teach my children about guns and gun safety (we're military, how could we not?) but I think she is probably going about it the wrong way, let alone way too soon.  Wait until the kids is old enough to understand that THAT weapon is not a toy. 

• Options

She DD and there's no Cached file. This is all Google would turn up for me:

AW this is just too perfect.

Feb 23, 2011 ... I don't think a baby playing with a gun is cute at all and think you people ... Just a military family. We have guns; I grew up with guns. ...
    community.thebump.com ? All Boards ? Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    yeah... uhm... she is being ridiculously stupid for letting her baby play with a gun. If you plan on teaching your child gun safety and that it isn't a toy, you shouldn't be letting them play with a gun even when they are under a year old! 
  • Options
    imageMaddimom:

WOW.  WTH were they thinking?!  Obviously they weren't.

• Options
    imagemishquiche:
    imageMaddimom:

WOW.  WTH were they thinking?!  Obviously they weren't.

THIS! And to post it all over the internet. um not the brightest people alive 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    First off, that is just a very inappropriate thing to do with a child, and second not something you document!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well since she DD and I wasn't able to see the original posting, I can only go off of what is being posted here.

I have no issues with guns when handled by responsible people. The notion that because they are military and aren't able to safely store their weapons is bull hockey, to be frank. My father is retired customs, served in the military and used to hunt so we had many various weapons in our house growing up. His service weapon was always on top of our grandfather clock in the hallway by the front door. The kicker though, no one but him knew where the clip was. I never knew, and still to this day don't know where he used to hide it. We were not allowed any where near his service weapon. He had other weapons for sport but those were also always seperate from the rounds. Children and weapons are not to be mixed for fun photo opportunities. That's just irresponsible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Eeesh, that is just scary. I agree with what everyone else said, so not appropriate!
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options
    No only is that gun disturbing, but the fact that that baby is making a threatening face next to that gun is disturbing. They are obviously teaching their kid to be aggressive, as well as stupid with firearms!
    The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Options
    imageMaddimom:

Completely unacceptable. 

• Options

imageKNemo:
    No only is that gun disturbing, but the fact that that baby is making a threatening face next to that gun is disturbing. They are obviously teaching their kid to be aggressive, as well as stupid with firearms!

THIS! That's the first thing I noticed as well. The kids face is creepy. He looks angry and like he actually wants to shoot the rifle.

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Parenting FAIL.

I am guessing that they thought: "We're around guns all the time and look how the baby is right near the gun and has a super aggressive face on!  It's so funny!"

Anyone who raises their children around guns needs to have the utmost respect and follow ALL safety guidelines.  These are GUNS.  Their purpose is to shoot living things. Not a toy.  Not a joke. 

Oh and FWIW, I do not plan on raising my children around guns, but I know that it can be done in a safe way.  I do not think this picture is an acceptable thing to do at all.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yikes. Not cool.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

That's ridiculous.  I own guns, was raised around guns, and learned how to shoot very young.  But letting a baby/toddler handle a gun?  Hellz no.  Guns are never ever to be treated as toys.  Plus, all guns are ALWAYS loaded, and if you can't follow that rule you shouldn't have them.  I don't care how many times you checked it, you treat guns that way and you won't get hurt. 

A picture of a baby next to a gun?  I don't have a problem with that, but I wouldn't put it on the web.  A picture of a baby handling a gun?  Wrong.  Just wrong.  That baby should never touch that thing.

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Um, that is so not okay.  I am NOT a gun person at all but even if I was, I'd never think that is acceptable.  I agree with kaskade, children should never be allowed to play around guns, and should be taught that you always assume they are loaded and dangerous.  People like this make mer nervous for when my child(ren) are older and go to play at friends' homes- I will be asking about any weaponry in the home and if there is any, how it is secured.  Paranoid, maybe, but better than than a dead child.  This is just sick.

image Visit The Nest!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"