Baby Showers
Options

Should I hold out on buying things till after my shower

I am so torn on what to do.  My mom is very generously getting us the Chicco Lullaby pack n play (plus I'm sure some smaller things), and MIL is getting us the matching Chicco highchair and a Baby Einstein play mat thing.  I am registered for about 3 big other big ticket items.  Right now I am debating about buying the swing we are registered for bc it is on sale, but some of my friends have told me not to buy anything off my registry bc people will go in together on big things.  I am just worried I guess that I will only get the smaller things and then I will be stuck buying all the remaining big stuff at once if I wait.  So what are you doing, or did your big ticket items get purchased off your registry?  I am only having one shower (to my knowledge) that will combine both our families.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Should I hold out on buying things till after my shower

• Options

If the stores return policy works out so you can return it after your shower if you do get it as a gift you could always purchase the swing and save the receipt.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I honestly didn't put big ticket items on my registry except for the travel system that my mom had told me ahead of time she would buy. We knew that we would be responsible for buying the rest of the big ticket stuff. I find it's much easier to keep things under $50 for the shower. Of course, if you had many people specfiically TELL you they were going in and buying a big gift with others, I would wait until after the shower to purchase things then.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would wait until after the shower, although PP idea of getting the item and saving the receipt works too as long as you have the storage for it, and your shower will not be at your home.  My baby shower was at my home and we did a nursery tour so that would have been really awkward if I already had an item from my registry in my house. 

You can also just put a little money into savings toward big items that way you have a little cushion if they aren't purchased for your shower

• Options

Another thing to consider- most big ticket items go on sale pretty regularly, so the odds of this being the ONLY time between now and your EDD that the swing will be on sale is pretty slim.

Put the big ticket stuff on your registry.  If you don't get the items as gifts, wait 'til they are on sale later OR use your registry completion discount to buy them yourself.

• Options
    I would hold off until after your shower.  Otherwise, what is the purpose of even having one?
    Stephanie Hsu
  • Options
    I would hold out - most stores allow you a discount on things left on the registry that you have to buy that you didn't get. At least, that's what Babies R Us does.

Anything still on my registry after all my showers is up for grabs with a discount from them for me to use!
  • Options
    imagestephanie_shoe:
    I would hold off until after your shower.  Otherwise, what is the purpose of even having one?
    This. We only purchased things over $300 for ourselves. We've had one shower and only two items over $100 are left on the registry - a breast pump and jumperoo, actually there's not really anything else over $50 left! We have three more showers. I would have been bummed if I'd bought all the big stuff myself.
  • Options
    I'm not buying anything until after my shower.  Are you registered at BRU?  They always have coupons so you could buy it after your shower if you don't get it.  My friends and I always go in on big gifts together for showers, so I would leave it on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"