Birth Stories

36 hours of HELL for a beautiful gift from HEAVEN (really long)

Friday evening as we were leaving my parent?s house we were laughing on our way out to the car. It was dark and I fell into a hole in the grass right next to the car. I landed on my knee first then my belly. DH rushed over to me and I was crying. I didn?t really hit my belly because my knee broke my fall but I was freaked out to be on my belly (something that I hadn?t felt for months) DH kept saying sorry because he always walked me to the door and helped me into the car and didn?t that time. We called the labor and delivery dept at Kaiser and they told me I had to come in. The doctor checked me and I was fine. I was not dilated at all and everything seemed ok. Although because I was 38 weeks and had fell on my belly I automatically had to be monitored for 6 HOURS!!! They moved us to a delivery room since we would be there so long. DH and I were talking and he made me laugh. I thought that I had laughed so hard that he made me pee. I told him OMG you made me pee....wait wait OMG I think my water is breaking!!! It was so crazy it was an incredible feeling. It wouldn?t stop coming out so I knew it was my water breaking and not PEE!!! lol.  DH ran out to get the nurse and said I think my wife's water just broke! She checked me and said "congratulations you are officially here for labor and delivery". She noted the time which was 12:12am Oct 10th. I felt really shaky and really scared for what was yet to come. Dh & I prayed. I couldn?t stop shaking though. A nurse that just came on shift and she saw that I was shaking so she gave me sheets that were straight out of the dryer. Oh my gosh that felt so good!

I was not feeling any contractions yet and it was about 2am. They had to put me on IV and the nurse was having a hard time because she said my veins kept on moving as she would stick me. It took them like 5 times of sticking me before they finally got it! I was having contractions but I wasn?t feeling them so the nurse told me if I didn?t start feeling them they were going to have to induce me by giving me pitosin. I was worried because I didn?t want to be induced. They checked me again like at 4am and still nothing. They said they didn?t want to keep checking me because my water had already broken I?d be more vulnerable for infection.

By 6am I started feeling my contractions a little but not enough so they told me they would start inducing me. They did and I started feeling the contractions but still very moderate. At 7 the next shift of nurses came in and they were trying to convince me to get the epidural. My plan was not to get it but to be open for it in unexpected circumstances. Well finally at around 11am I had dilated only 1 cm!!! They highly suggested I get the epidural because I was dilating very slowly. I still didn?t want to even though my contractions were getting stronger. I was really thirsty but they wouldn?t let me have any water. They said only ice chips, so that was all I kept having. My pain was getting really strong and I was starting to cry.  I had been lying down since 9pm Friday and it was about 12noon on Saturday. Every time I switched sides or went to the restroom the nurse had to come back and adjust the monitors for the baby?s heartbeat and the other one for my contractions and had to drag my IV to the restroom which was such a hassle. I was constantly leaking water and blood, which I found weird because I didn?t know that would happen. My contractions were getting stronger and stronger and so they came to check me and I had barely dilated two and it was already like 2pm on Saturday! I had already been in labor for 14 hours and I had only dilated 2cm! They gave me more pitosin and my contractions were getting stronger. I was crying and the nurse explained to me that if I had barely dilated 2 in 14 hours then it was going to be at least another 10 hours before I delivered and the pain would be worse. It finally made sense so I finally decided to get the epidural. I felt so defeated though. They called the anesthesiologist in and she came pretty fast. She told us the disclosures. She said if I move while she?s putting the needle in me I can become permanently paralyzed and that they would put something like an IV in my back and they would give a remote so that I can push every time I felt that I needed more and that no one would be able to be in the room with me not even DH. It was the policy of the hospital because some people faint while watching. So we started freaking out! DH left the room they told him they would let him know when he can come back in. I started praying and relaxed myself and she did it really fast. She was good. I expected much worse.  It made me really sleepy so I went to sleep and finally DH came in. He said he was anxiously waiting for them to call him back in but they never did, until he finally asked. He looked so relieved to see me that I was ok, I love him. They came to put a catheter in me because I told them I had to go to the restroom. I didn?t feel anything when they put it in. When I saw that they put it in I asked if I can go pee now. They laughed and said you already went look. It was crazy I didn?t feel anything. I was getting more and more thirsty and could only have ice chips =(     I took advantage and took a long nap. It felt good to rest after all that pain. After a while I started getting pain again. It was coming back little by little so I pushed the remote for more of the epidural. It would help and I would knock out every time. Finally it wasn?t working anymore. I told the nurse that my pain was getting really bad and the epidural wasn?t working anymore. She called in another anesthesiologist and he gave me another small dosage of the epidural. I knocked out. 

DH and my sister spent the night in the smallest uncomfortable chairs. At like 5am my pain was really bad they checked me and I was about 5cm dilated. I wanted more of the epidural because I was feeling so much pain! They said they would get the anesthesiologist. My contractions were so strong! It was taking what seemed to be an eternity for the anesthesiologist to come, and I was so thirsty! I was tired of the stupid ice chips so my sister gave me a little swig of water and it felt s good even though it was such a small swig. Right after the swig I threw up so bad. It was green and acidy. Ughhh it felt so bad. I threw up a couple of times after that. He finally came and gave me the epidural. I knocked out again. He only gave me a very small dosage because I was already so far dilated. I think I was about 6cm by then. I woke up and again I was in pain but they said they could not give anymore epidural so I was getting upset. My pain was building up more and more. I was dilated about 7. Another doctor came in and he said he would most likely be the one to deliver my baby. He said that he thought the baby was too big that?s why it wasn?t coming out, and that we might have to start thinking about doing a cesarean. I got really worried. My worry went away in a little while because all I could think about was the pain. I was in so much pain and I was upset because getting the epidural was not in my birthing plan and I got it, but when I was having the worst pain it had already worn off! I couldn?t believe it. I was throwing up and I started getting really hot. A nurse midwife came in and said she was on shift now and she said that she wanted to check me because I was getting a fever. I was dilated about 8cm so she said it would just be a little longer. They gave me some medicine to help my fever go down through my IV. My contractions were so strong now and I was starting to feel a lot of pressure, so I told the Nurse to go get the Nurse Midwife. When the CNM got there she checked me and said I was fully dilated and that it was time to start pushing!!!!!She said that since it was my first time and the way everything was going she assumed it was going to take me about 3 hours!! I thought there?s no way! That baby had to come out ASAP! She started to me off and had my mom push my head, DH hold my legs and count to 10 and push at every ten when I had a contraction. She said she had to go attend to her other patient and would be back in a while. The other nurse left too and I got frustrated because I felt someone should stay in there while I was pushing! When the nurse came back I told her I needed her to stay because I was pushing and I needed the baby to come out already! She said the baby wouldn?t come out yet and chuckled! OMG I got so frustrated! She left again! Everything was irritating me and Oh my gosh, I was in so much pain. The nurse came in and saw that I was pushing and that the head was starting to come out. DH said she pushed the head back in and called the CNM on the phone and said she needed to come ASAP. CNM came and changed into a plastic gown and put a big mask on that looked like she was going to do some major welding lol. I was pushing and pushing and his head would peak out but he wouldn?t come out. Sister got there and started helping too. Somehow more and more nurses were coming on the room! There was about 4 nurses, my CNM, my hubby, my mom, my sister and of course me! There were so many people in there! I was pushing with all I had and it was so much pressure! They would count and I would push and then say to relax but there was nooooo way I could relax the pain and pressure was unbearable! Finally this nurse got on top of the bed with me and put her knee on my belly and started pushing the baby out like that. Oh my GOD!! I felt that when she did that she did it. He came out right after that! When he came out I didn?t hear him cry and they didn?t give him to me like they usually do so right away I asked if he was ok. They took him away to the little bed and they didn?t answer me. Then DH asked and they didn?t answer him either. Then we heard his little cry?..ohhhh my God it was such a good feeling. DH, my mom, sister and me were crying and they were hugging each other. DH and sister left to be with the baby and my mom stayed with me. At this point I was really happy that I had all 3 of them in there. I was never alone. It was time to try and push the placenta out. The CNM was trying to help but she said it wasn?t coming out. She told me to pinch my nipples so I did. I was watching them check weigh and measure DS. They announced he was 8lbs 3oz 21 ? inches born at 11:51am October 11, 2009. Everyone was like wooooowww when they said his weight. It?s so amazing I get chills and want to cry thinking of that moment. Finally my placenta started coming out. It was huge! it was time to get sown up! OMG it was painful. She said I tore very very little. Ok so after the whole placenta thing the CNM washed up and the nurses took Ayden a bath, dressed him, and took his hand and foot prints. I felt really weak. The CNM said that I lost a lot of blood and that my iron was really low. FINALLY the nurse asked me, Do you want to hold your baby? OMG I said yes. They handed him to me all wrapped up and I criiiiieeeeedddd when I held him. The feeling was just surreal. I couldn?t believe it. Best feeling in the world! It made the hell I had just went throught totally worth it. So in total I was in labor for 36 hours from Friday night until Sunday afternoon and I pushed for 51min.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 36 hours of HELL for a beautiful gift from HEAVEN (really long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"