New Jersey Babies

Teacher in NJ Question...

Hello Everyone! I am a recent graduate of the knot. I am not pregnant yet, but my husband and I would really like to start trying soon...however, I just found out that my school is doing budget cuts early and I will be let go in June unless someone retires...my principal said he would do everything he can to help me find a job, which I appreciate but what am I supposed to do? Start a new job and go on maternity leave within the first year? That is almost a guarantee they would not hire me back right? I know I could just wait but we really do not want to wait to much longer, especially since it may not happen right away or it could happen the first time, who knows? Does anybody know of anyone that went on maternity leave towards the end of their first teaching year? Thanks so much!

image 280 image 241 image 31 image 10 Making Us Wait
RSVP Deadline: 10/2

Re: Teacher in NJ Question...

• Well do you plan to go back to work after having the baby?   I am a teacher and there have been beginning teachers that went on maternity leave -- they came back probably 8 weeks later though.  Of course legally you are granted more, but not sure if they choose to come back b/c of finances or b/c they were nervous being new.. or maybe both.   I wouldn't stress.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the reply! Yes I would come back after I had the baby

• Loading the player...
  • I know teachers that have been taken back but given the way things are now, I am not sure.  That being said, you can't live your life thinking about the "what ifs".  I know it would suck to not have a job but you would make it work.  :)  I say do what you feel is right and worry about the rest when it arises.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I think we may just go ahead and if we get pregnant in the next few months we will be thrilled and I may just take a break next year then apply for a job and start fresh in a year or two

• If your contract isn't renewed this year, I'd just start searching for a job.  If you get pregnant, you can considered coming back as soon as your maternity leave ends and prove to the district you're worth keeping.  If (God forbid) you do not get asked back after a maternity leave, at lease you have additional experience when you seek your next position.  I guess I feel like you shouldn't make career decisions based on "what if's."  If you get pregnant quickly (fingers crossed for you), most principals understand...or maybe I'm just lucky with my administrators.      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"