Pre-School and Daycare
Options

any homeschooling mama's?

DS is ready for kindergarten in the fall so I've been checking out the different schools in our area and also looking into homeschooling. Well the more I look into it and the more I read on homeschooling the more convinced I become. I think right now I am committing to the first year and then we'll reevaluate at the end of that year. Anyone else out there homeschooling or thinking about it? What are your thoughts? Do you ever feel like you just need a break? I was homeschooled a bit growing up and remember loving it but that was a long time ago too :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: any homeschooling mama's?

• Options
    We'll be homeschooling for Kindergarten too. We'd hoped to move out of the school district that we are currently living before our oldest started school, but that didin't happen, so we'll homeschool for the upcoming year and then reevaluate at the end of the year. I'm quite interested in homeschooling through a good chunk of elementary school, but my husband isn't on board, so I'm going to assume that I'll get this one year and then as soon as we move into the district we want to be in, she'll go back to public school. I don't have any words of advice since I'm pretty much in the same position you are, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone! =)
  • Options
    haha! thanks! :) I actually know a bunch of people (3-4 of my friends and close family members) who homechool, so that helps a bunch.  Are you thinking you'll go to a confrence or anything?  I've heard they're really encouraging.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I really want to try homeschooling with DD, but I don't have much support.  My parents are very against it, which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for us, but it would help to have them on board (my mom is a public school teacher, and has very jaded views of homeschooling, but I think she just doesn't want to accept that it is possible for children to grow up healthy in alternative environments).  DH doesn't seem to have an opinion either way, but said he would support my decision to homeschool if I thought it necessary. My biggest fear is finding ways to socialize her appropriately.  We live in a very rural area, and there aren't many activities outside of school for kids in lower elementary school.  Plus, most of our friends who have children live almost 3 hours away from us, so there isn't a built-in social network that some families have.

Right now, the plan is to enroll her in public school, supplement the curriculum (right now we are working on pre-reading skills at home), and revisit homeschooling if needed later on. 

I applaud you for taking homeschooling seriously.  I don't know if you have read it yet, but The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer was very enlightening to me, and gave me some great resources for teaching, even if DD ends up in public school. 

• Options
    I'm fairly certain I'll be homeschooling.  Actually, we're doing preschool at home now.  I taught in the public schools for seven years before losing my job last year due to budget cuts (along with 17 others).  I figure why not teach him if I'm at home.  But I've always been fascinated with homeschooling.  Our reasons: DS misses the cut off for kindergarten (he's more than ready academically, not quite ready maturity wise), and we want a Bible based curriculum.  There is a very active co-op in our county and several of our friends homeschool.  I have everything from when I taught, so we have an actual classroom set up in our home right now.  I'm making up the preschool curriculum as I go, but I'd really like an organized curriculum for next year.  You're welcome to email me if you'd like to chat and bounce ideas!  hm vaughan at comcast dot net 
  • Options
    imagemrswright2006:

I really want to try homeschooling with DD, but I don't have much support.  My parents are very against it, which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for us, but it would help to have them on board (my mom is a public school teacher, and has very jaded views of homeschooling, but I think she just doesn't want to accept that it is possible for children to grow up healthy in alternative environments).  DH doesn't seem to have an opinion either way, but said he would support my decision to homeschool if I thought it necessary. My biggest fear is finding ways to socialize her appropriately.  We live in a very rural area, and there aren't many activities outside of school for kids in lower elementary school.  Plus, most of our friends who have children live almost 3 hours away from us, so there isn't a built-in social network that some families have.

Right now, the plan is to enroll her in public school, supplement the curriculum (right now we are working on pre-reading skills at home), and revisit homeschooling if needed later on. 

I applaud you for taking homeschooling seriously.  I don't know if you have read it yet, but The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer was very enlightening to me, and gave me some great resources for teaching, even if DD ends up in public school. 

you should show your in-laws and H this article https://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp although, your MIL might be kind of insulted by it, it's pretty eye opening though... one of the convincing factors for me that's for sure.

• Options

imagehcassell:
    I'm fairly certain I'll be homeschooling.  Actually, we're doing preschool at home now.  I taught in the public schools for seven years before losing my job last year due to budget cuts (along with 17 others).  I figure why not teach him if I'm at home.  But I've always been fascinated with homeschooling.  Our reasons: DS misses the cut off for kindergarten (he's more than ready academically, not quite ready maturity wise), and we want a Bible based curriculum.  There is a very active co-op in our county and several of our friends homeschool.  I have everything from when I taught, so we have an actual classroom set up in our home right now.  I'm making up the preschool curriculum as I go, but I'd really like an organized curriculum for next year.  You're welcome to email me if you'd like to chat and bounce ideas!  hm vaughan at comcast dot net 

oh thank you! that's so nice :)  I'm pretty excited to form a little group with my friends, right now there are 4 of us all together- all with boys! we'll see if we can convince our other friend with a girl to do it too :) 

That's awesome you were a teacher and have the experience.  I'm planning to do a little more laid back approach, have you ever heard of ambleside? https://amblesideonline.org/00.shtml something similar to that but tweaked to my own style.  There's a confrence in May in our area that I'm hoping to go to and get some more ideas.  Parent's of preschoolers get in for free.  I'm also doing preschool stuff with Chase right now too, I was worried about the cut off with him- he's a june b-day and the cut off is september. but the more I work with him the more I believe he's ready.

• Options

Your post actually got me thinking about this.  We are planning for our boys to go to our parish school (Catholic).  I like the academic program, values instilled, etc.  However, I am hesitating when it comes to my younger son.

He will start pre-school in fall of 2012.  He has allergies to milk, egg and peanuts.  The pre-school our older boys go to is nut free and really great about no sharing snacks, all snacks have to include ingredient labels and birthdays are treat free.  But with LO's milk and egg allergies I just don't know if that's enough to keep him safe.

He's had contact reactions to items containing milk (like pre-cooked chicken breast slices that had lactylate as an ingredient) so I am nervous about the gold fish, crackers, breads, etc.  If he outgrows milk and egg by the time he starts school (please God) I may feel better about sending him to school

I will have to give this A LOT more thought but you definitely peaked my interest with your post.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    We will be homeschooling! I am a homeschool graduate and I know how well it works. I suggest joining the Hive Mind boards connected to the Well-Trained Mind website - it's a wealth of information! WTM is the direction we'll be going, and I'm pretty excited. We'll be buying a curriculum, but I'm not sure which one yet. We're taking it slow now and working on reading, reading, reading. We do lots of reading aloud, books on CD and piles of books all over the house. A love of words will translate into success in all the other academic areas, so we're concentrating on that until she's 5 or so.
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageBananaPancake:
    We will be homeschooling! I am a homeschool graduate and I know how well it works. I suggest joining the Hive Mind boards connected to the Well-Trained Mind website - it's a wealth of information! WTM is the direction we'll be going, and I'm pretty excited. We'll be buying a curriculum, but I'm not sure which one yet. We're taking it slow now and working on reading, reading, reading. We do lots of reading aloud, books on CD and piles of books all over the house. A love of words will translate into success in all the other academic areas, so we're concentrating on that until she's 5 or so.

yes! that's what we are going to be doing too!, I haven't heard of that website but I will check it out.  We are going to be following somewhat an Ambleside type thing... lots and lots of reading :)

https://amblesideonline.org/00.shtml

i was homeschooled some as well and loved every minute of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"