Military Families

New here, and some questions!

Hi ladies,

I just joined this site. My name is Alex and my husband and I recently found out we are expecting our first baby in October of 2011.

My husband just left yesterday for a 7-9 month deployment. He is a Marine stationed at Pendleton.

I have Tricare Prime and go to a civilian primary doctor because we live far from base. I went in at 5 week 2 days to confirm my pregnancy and to get a referral for an OBGYN. I am now almost 7 weeks and called in today and the referral is still pending.

I am just getting frustrated because all I have seen so far are a series of positive pee tests (how my primary dr confirmed as well) so I haven't had any blood work done or had any ultrasounds etc. I just want to get some more information to make sure everything is going ok with baby. My sister had a miscarriage just a few months ago, and so I can't stop thinking about that and worrying myself.

Especially with my husband having just left yesterday, I really need something to get excited about, so I am dying for this referral to go through so I can at least book an appointment!

Anyone else have to wait this long? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? Can I request blood work from my primary doctor? Any advice, or do I just need to suck it up and wait?

I asked this in the October 2011 board as well before I saw there was a specfic military families section.

Thank you ladies, and I look forward to getting to know you!

Re: New here, and some questions!

• Who did you call today-- Tricare or your doc? 

I'm on Prime and was seen at a MTF for the confirming blood work before they submitted my referral to a civilian OB.  My referral only took ~48 hours to go through.

Don't do anything at your civilian provider w/o Tricare approval unless you're willing to possibly pay out of pocket.

Easier said than done, but don't stress about it.  Your sister's miscarriage does not mean you will miscarry.  Confirming blood work does not mean you will not miscarry.  

ETA: I mean that last paragraph nicely, my tone may not be apparent over the internet.  Also, to go off the next poster, I didn't have an u/s until 12 weeks and only then b/c they couldn't find the hb with the doppler.  You may not get an u/s until 20 weeks.  Be patient.  :)

• You have a long hall ahead of you, so pace yourself.

Everything will come along soon enough, just be patient. You won't have too much done this early anyways just blood tests, and I wouldn't be that anxious to get needles in my arm, lol. Nothing to see on the ultrasound until your 12+ weeks, you probably won't get one until then anyways.

Sorry Hubbs is gone, good luck girl.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • First of all, unless there is a common genetic issue, your sister's miscarriage has no bearing on your pregnancy. You can worry yourself sick and have a miscarriage or not. Nothing you do will cause it. If it happens, it happens. You cannot prevent it. As for the referral, mine have always been approved within 48 hours. Have your doctor resubmit it as priority. You are only seven weeks though, so it is highly unlikely that you would have seen an OB yet anyway. You will typically be seen around 10 weeks with a normal pregnancy.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagetheaustins05:

You have a long hall ahead of you, so pace yourself.

Everything will come along soon enough, just be patient. You won't have too much done this early anyways just blood tests, and I wouldn't be that anxious to get needles in my arm, lol. Nothing to see on the ultrasound until your 12+ weeks, you probably won't get one until then anyways.

Sorry Hubbs is gone, good luck girl.

12 weeks, huh? That is just plain wrong. If she had an u/s tomorrow, she would see a heartbeat if the pregnancy was healthy. I've had u/s at 6 weeks, 7 weeks, and 9 weeks, and I've seen plenty on all of them.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't even have my first OBGYN appointment until 8 weeks, my OB would not see me before then.  I did have an u/s at 8 weeks, but only because I had to go to the ER, it was not routine.  The first routine u/s wasn't until the anatomy scan at 18 weeks, so be prepared not to get one. 

Really the first OB app is pretty boring.  Don't eat these things, take prenatals, we'll see you in 4 weeks, blah, blah, blah.  Your doc will probably try to hear the heartbeat on the doppler, but you might not be able to from I remember, I don't remember for sure.  

• I was seen at an MTF for my first child. They didn't see anyone unless you were having issues (i.e. bleeding) until 10 weeks. At that appointment I got blood work and an ultrasound. It's normal to have to wait. Most doctors are satisfied with a positive home test.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one urine test to confirm my pregnancy and no blood test. It was explained to me that no blood test was needed to confirm. It seemed like forever before I had the first u/s. If it would help you could call the person who put in the request to ask them how long it might take.

I understand that you are excited and nervous and thinking about your husband being deployed. But don't forget to be excited about your little one. And from the sounds of it, there is a good chance your husband will be back for the birth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"