Infertility

Dr said no to trigger shot???

I had a failed IUI last month and was on 50mg clomid CD 3-7, no trigger shot. I asked the doctor this month if the protocol would be different and she stated that Progesterone came back really good and she would not be increasing dosage of Clomid. I asked if I would be getting a trigger shot this cycle and she stated that I ovulate well on my own and does not feel the need to trigger the follies. I'm asking you ladies if this seems correct??? I'm concerned that my timing with the OPK is wrong since we failed last month. We did two IUI's a day apart and still failed. Need advice??  :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dr said no to trigger shot???

• I don't have specific advice, but I didn't use a trigger on any of my Clomid cycles...
    TTC since April 2009 dx = PCOS; TTC History for DS - A FET miracle after 7 IUIs; 2 fresh transfers, and 1 other FET resulted in BFNs. Hoping and Praying for baby #2: Cycle 1 - FET; November 2012 BFN Next Steps - who knows? Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Are you being monitored? I had a 2 clomid cycles where my monitoring and bloodwork showed my body was ovulating on its own. In that case they didn't have me use a trigger shot. My RE feels a trigger does not increase your chances anymore than a well timed IUI based on an LH surge.

View Raw Image'>

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I've always used a trigger, but I have a history of weak ovulation, so it's necessary. What's your dx? Have OPKs been reliable for you in the past? If you have PCOS I would probably insist on a trigger because OPKs can be unreliable for women with PCOS. Good luck!
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor said that even with IUI, success rates are around 25-30%, so it may not have been timing just bad luck.  If you're ovulating on your own you shouldn't need to trigger.
    Anniversary

TTC #1 Off of HBC December 09 Dx PCOS, no ovulation, HSG + SIS normal 9/4: 100 mg clomid + ovidrel trigger: BFN 10/15: Gonal-f (75 IU, 112.5 IU, 150 IU) + ovidrel trigger + IUI: BFN 11/15: Gonal-f (112.5 IU) + ovidrel trigger + IUI: BFN 12/17: Gonal-f (112.5 IU, 150 IU): cycle canceled due to no response IVF #1: 1/18 start BCP, 2/1 start Lupron, 2/10 start stimming, 2/20 ER, 2/15 ET, 3/6 beta 1: 216, 3/8 beta 2: 420 *saifw*

• Thanks ladies, I feel much better. Just to answer some of the poster questions. I am getting no monitoring except b/w. I have been TTC for 18 cycles now and been undiagnosed IF. I cant say if the OPK have been accurate because obviously I havent had any luck yet. I just bought the digital OPK by CBE and will be usuing that in conjuction with the usual smiley face'd ones I've been using(do you think I'm desperate yet? hahahha).

My doctor said exactly as a poster described....There is no evidence if you ovulate on your own that a trigger helps success. She stated that the LH surge might have been right and all the swimmers just missed or timing was slightly off.

I guess we will just try again....did anyone of you supplement the IUI with a ton of sex?? Maybe that was our prob too...doing the deed only once during the three days of peak LH surge?? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As far as I know trigger shots are only used when you don't ovulate on your own or after your ovulation has been supressed ( like in IVF)....

Do you ovulate on your own ?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageginogomermisser:

Thanks ladies, I feel much better. Just to answer some of the poster questions. I am getting no monitoring except b/w. I have been TTC for 18 cycles now and been undiagnosed IF. I cant say if the OPK have been accurate because obviously I havent had any luck yet. I just bought the digital OPK by CBE and will be usuing that in conjuction with the usual smiley face'd ones I've been using(do you think I'm desperate yet? hahahha).

My doctor said exactly as a poster described....There is no evidence if you ovulate on your own that a trigger helps success. She stated that the LH surge might have been right and all the swimmers just missed or timing was slightly off.

I guess we will just try again....did anyone of you supplement the IUI with a ton of sex?? Maybe that was our prob too...doing the deed only once during the three days of peak LH surge?? 

If you are taking clomid you should absolutely 100% be monitored by ultrasound. If you are not having ultrasounds you have no idea if you have too many follicles or if you are just feeding cysts with hormones which is extremely dangerous!

If you are not seeing an RE I strongly suggest moving to an RE before going forward with treatment.

View Raw Image'>

• imageginogomermisser:

Thanks ladies, I feel much better. Just to answer some of the poster questions. I am getting no monitoring except b/w. I have been TTC for 18 cycles now and been undiagnosed IF. I cant say if the OPK have been accurate because obviously I havent had any luck yet. I just bought the digital OPK by CBE and will be usuing that in conjuction with the usual smiley face'd ones I've been using(do you think I'm desperate yet? hahahha).

I have heard that the CBE is unreliable when you are taking Clomid... maybe someone can correct me on that. Like PPs said... even a perfectly timed IUI doesn't guarantee a  pregnancy. Hopefully your next one will work! I'm surprised that they aren't even doing a u/s to see how many follies you have though. Are you with an RE?

m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • I am doing IUI with a trigger.  As far as the OPKs, I was using CBE and getting a smiley on the 19th day of my cycle.  My RE said it is considered a positive as soon as there is a change in color on the 2nd line vs. Day 10.  That is happening for me on Day 14-15.  Because there was confusion as to when I am actually ovulating, we decided to do a trigger shot in addition to monitoring.  I am not charting/temping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageginogomermisser:

A lot of people chart and temp when they are first trying, so they know if the OPKs line up with the other evidence of ovulation.

I am concerned that you're on clomid and only being monitored with blood work and not ultrasounds, too. The blood work cannot pinpoint exactly how many mature follicles the clomid is creating and the blood work can't tell if the clomid is thinning your lining.

If you're currently being treated by an OBGYN, you should seriously consider seeing an RE.

Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ditto what the PPs have said regarding monitoring. You don't want to end up like Kate Gosselin (sextuplets with IUI).

I O on my own but my RE prescribes the trigger anyway to help time things and just be sure I do ovulate so the all the b/w and monotoring hasn't been a waste.

Get thee to a RE!  

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"