May 2011 Moms

Being Around Sick People

Do you guys avoid being around anyone that has a cold or any type of sickness?

I have (thankfully) only had a 24 hr bug that wasn't really anything during this whole pregnancy. I am supposed to go to a show tonight and drive my mother, who has a cold. I told her that I wasn't going to take her anywhere if she was sick, but my parents are trying to make me feel guilty about it and say that I am going to be around a ton of people tonight anyway and could catch something. Yea, that's true... but sitting an hour in the car with my hacking mother probably isn't good.

What would you do???

Re: Being Around Sick People

• I hate being around people who are sick.  When I first got pregnant I tried avoiding any situation where I was around people who were sick.  That didn't work out too well because sick people are everywhere.  So I'd just take an extra Vit. C and go with your mom.  But that being said, if DH is sick we stay apart!

Side story, DH came home from work last night and said that some guy at work had strep last week.  Except he didn't tell anyone and came to work every day despite being sick.  So clearly two more people got it after him at which point the first guy admitted that he had strep while at work.  He said, "wouldn't it be funny if the whole group got strep?"  Um, no it would not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tend to turn away from sick people at work, keep my distance, don't touch anything of there's etc. Other than work and home, I don't go  anywhere (isn't my life exciting). My husband's family likes to visit but none of them will come over if they are sick at all. It's been a terrible Canadian-style winter this year and because of my prenatals and getting lots of sleep (or so I assume), I haven't even gotten a cold.

Being in an enclosed space, I would feel the same way as you. If she was insistant, I'd probably compromise by offering her a medical mask to wear while in the car. I'm sure I'm a little paranoid but I am very picky about what medicines I will take while pg and therefore and almost petrified of getting sick (Tylenol doesn't 'do' anything! Benadryl makes me feel better but too sleepy to work which is important right now. That's really all I've taken while pg).

• Loading the player...
  • imagedarmca:

If she was insistant, I'd probably compromise by offering her a medical mask to wear while in the car.

My husband actually suggested that! I don't want to take anything I don't have to while pregnant, and seriously... I am already uncomfortable and hormonal, I cannot imagine throwing a cold into the mix!

• Oh, what a crappy situation. I had a horrible cold during Christmas, and it was so much worse being sick while pregnant. Trying to avoid peeing at every cough and sneeze was just the icing on the cake.

I don't know. If you can't find a way not to drive her, maybe you could make her sit as far away as possible, and definitely bring hand sanitizer. Ugh.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My mother emailed me and said that my father will come home from work early and pick her up to bring her to the show (which he should have said in the first place but whatever). So... works out!!!

• Sorry Mom, I can not get sick right now! Maybe we can get together after your feeling better. Have Dad take you to the show.

ETA: Sorry I posted w/o reading all the reply's.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am on my second bad cold this pregnancy and it is not pleasant!!!  I caught this one from my cousin's daughter (I didn't know she was sick when I agreed to go there for dinner).  That being said, if it were my Mom, I would probably still go and take my chances.

Be careful and stay healthy :)

• I can't avoid sick people. I'm a pharmaceutical sales rep and am in waiting rooms full of sick people all day long!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"