Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Possible milk allergy

What are some meal options for an 11 month old with a possible milk allergy?  We are already limiting the amount of milk in her diet, but I think it is time to cut it out entirely to see if we see an improvement.  I'm having a tough time thinking of things I can feed her though.  Everything has milk in it.  If you have any ideas please pass them along.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
image image

Re: Possible milk allergy

• Options
    How about pasta with tomato sauce?  Or toast with jelly.  I give DD pancakes, waffles or french toast for breakfast with no butter or syrup on them & she loves them.  They are the freezer kind, I also give her a toasted cinnamon raisin muffin.  I am really good at thinking of breakfast things to feed her but lunch & dinner I always struggle with.  DH & I are on a diet so we don't eat the same things we give her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I wish I could help more, but I did want to say, my niece has a milk allergy, and she has a plan from her pedi.  I would call your LO's doctor and asked them for some reccommendation. She is almost 2 and I know she does a milk you can get at whole foods that is rice based (I think).  GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What makes you suspect that your LO has a milk allergy?  What symptoms is your LO exhibiting?  Have you discussed this with your Pedi?   Testing before age 2 is not recommended because it's not accurate.  If after age 2 you're still suspecting allergies then have the allergy testing done.  The best way to determine a allergy right now is by doing an elimination diet.

My 13 mo old has a milk allergy.  It confirmed by his GI Dr.  He has been 100% dairy free since Dec 30th.  At first it was hard.  In order to avoid all dairy I have to read labels on everything.  Even foods such as lunch meat and hot dogs have dairy in them.  We got him in with a nutritionist who has helped us figure out what we can feed him.  Also, this website has helped a ton in finding dairy free foods:  https://milkfreekids.blogspot.com/

My son's symptoms were no weight gain or growth, constipation, GER, rash, ear infections.  At 12 months he still weighed the same and was the same height he was at 9 months.

Here's what my son ate today:

Breakfast:  1/4 c Kix cereal and a cup of soy formula.  (We still have him on formula b/c it's cheaper then buying soy milk and it has all the added nutrients and vitamins he needs and his GI Dr said to.)

Lunch:  Tyson chicken nuggest (only dairy free I have found), cut in 4ths grapes and a slice of Veggie Cheese, 1/2 container of soy yogurt.

Snack:  graham cracker and apple sauce with a cup of soy formula.

Dinner:  steak, steamed carrots and half a small baked potato.  (no butter or cheese)

Bedtime:  cup of soy formula

He also has a strawberry, pineapple and oat allergy so what he eats is more limited.

Typical foods he eats:

chicken hot dogs (get them at Sprouts)

canteloupe, grapes, apples, pears, peaches

carrots, green beans, broccoli,  corn, sweet potatoes

beans (doesn't matter what kind he loves them all)

baked chicken, turkey, ground turkey, steak, pork loin

whole wheat Ritz crackers, graham crackers

soy formula, soy milk, almond milk

soy yogurt and coconut yogurt (both at Sprouts)

Tyson chicken nuggets

• Options

imageJCM:
    How about pasta with tomato sauce?  Or toast with jelly.  I give DD pancakes, waffles or french toast for breakfast with no butter or syrup on them & she loves them.  They are the freezer kind, I also give her a toasted cinnamon raisin muffin.  I am really good at thinking of breakfast things to feed her but lunch & dinner I always struggle with.  DH & I are on a diet so we don't eat the same things we give her.

OP:  Most breads have dairy in them.  Potato bread does not.  Some bagels do not.  Most pastas are dairy free.  Any pancakes, waffles or french toast that are store bought have dairy in them.  If you want to do those then find a mix that is dairy free and use soy milk instead of cow milk.  You can find recipes for dairy free muffins, cupcakes, etc online.   If you make scrambled eggs make them with soy milk instead of cow milk.

It's hard at first to wrap your head around the whole dairy free thing.  Things you wouldn't think have dairy in them normally do.  If you're wanting to eliminate dairy then it's best to eliminate it all and then slowly start to reintroduce foods with it.  If you start seeing reactions then it's definitely a dairy allergy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"