Postpartum Depression
Options

Silly Question

Can this (PPD) happen before you give birth?  I've suffered from depression on and off. 

And Im just miserable.  I HATE/LOATHE being pregnant... I will never do this again. I would love love love for my baby to come now.  I need my body back.  I feel so helpless.  It doesn't help that I  haven't worked for most of my pregnancy (unable to, due to dangerous working conditions - - violent group home setting) and was unable to finish my university due to financial reasons and mix that with my new limited mobility and I seriously hate my life.  I don't do anything but sit on Facebook and stare at the walls in my apartment and get resentful. . .

I love this baby... but I did not plan on him.  I had just decided to go back on the pill... I feel like when I have these resentful feelings I am hurting him (cause of stress hormones or w.e)  I am resentful of my husband too... because he gets to 'have a life'  he works and goes out with friends and got to finish his schooling.  And Im stuck on the couch... 

/vent...

but seriously can PPD kick in before birth? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Silly Question

• Options
    It definitely can - I believe it is called antipartum depression.  I would talk to your doctor NOW.  If you have antipartum depression and have had a history of depression, you risk of PPD is much higher.  If you get a support system &/or meds in place now, it will make your life much easier and happier!  I'm so sorry that you are going through this.  HUGS!  I don't know what you are going through, but I can say that I know how stir crazy you can get having to sit at home.  I was put on bedrest for the last part of my pregnancy.  GRRR.  I hope things get better for you! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I totally understand how you feel. I HATED being pregnant. I've always cared about how I look and I was just so down on myself for being fat, having stretch marks, my face breaking out etc. I was on bed rest for two months and I think that is what brought most of my depression on.

I also was resentful of my boyfriend because he could go out and do whatever he wanted. Maybe you should get dressed up and you and your husband go do something. You'll feel better getting out of the house.

But I agree you should talk to your Dr about how you are feeling so you can maybe start meds as soon as you give birth or maybe before.

FWIW, for as much as I hated being pregnant and NEVER wanted to do it again, I kinda miss it now. It's a special time and you should enjoy life without a baby while you still can. Hope you feel better!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes~ It can.  I suffered from PPD after the birth of my daughter 11 years ago and then to "prevent" another bout, I got on antidepressants before the birth of my son 7 years ago. 

I am now 30 weeks pregnant with twins ( via IVF) and I can honestly say that I am already feeling it sneaking up again.  I plan on talking with my Dr. at this weeks appointment~ and I think you should do the same thing.  Don't feel bad about how you are feeling...or guilty~ it's not really in your control, and is all reasonable.  I have found it helpful to get out in the fresh air, even if it's just for a bit, or relax in a hot bath.  One thing I know for sure is this....pregnancy is a blip on the radar in the big picture, your body and complexion will return to normal ( or a new normal) and it will all be worth it.  But~ you have to take care of yourself FIRST!!  GL to you!

Mom of Riley-13, Libby Jaye-11, Maguire-8, Callum & Maggie-7mo Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"