New Jersey Babies

NJ Disability Insurance/Teacher - SO Confused!

Hi All,I just met with my union president to go over maternity leave today and am speechless to say the least.  I am a teacher here in NJ and pay into the NJEA Prudential Disability Insurance.  My due date is July 30th.  I was told today that I'm not able to use ANY of my sick days because the baby is due smack in the middle of the summer.  Had the baby not been born in the summer, I would have my "disability" time prior to delivery and also up to 30 days after.  But, since 30 days after I'm still not in school, I can't use one sick day.  With me so far?  And is that correct? So, all I'm able to use at full pay is my 3 personal days and 2 family illness days then my 6 weeks of disability at partial pay kicks in (after my elimination period, unless I'm able to get the doctor to put me on disability prior to delivery).  So, at worst, I'd get two weeks of disability pay and at best, six weeks.  Still with me? Now, I know there's the NJ Family Leave Insurance as well and from what I'm gathering, that kicks in once my 6 weeks of disability are up and that's at 2/3 pay.   Is that accurate? So I guess my question is have any of you experienced a summer baby as a teacher and how did it work out for you?  I'm just completely astounded that I can't use any of my sick time and I'm wondering/hoping I received incorrect information. I appreciate any responses.  Thanks in advance. 
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: NJ Disability Insurance/Teacher - SO Confused!

• Im also a teacher in NJ and this my first baby...so I don't have a concrete answer for you. I still need to talk to some people in my district, but I don't understand how they can tell you that you can't use your sick days! This is distressing, because I plan to do the same thing, collecting disability and using my sick days! Then after the disability time period is over use the Family Leave Insurance. I wonder if this varies depending on which company you have disability coverage with; I have mine with AFLAC. Must investigate.....Thanks for the heads up!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Yeah, distressing doesn't even explain it.  I have over 50 sick days that I planned to use at least in September and now I can't use any.  I don't think it makes a difference in terms of your company used but more the district (however, I could be wrong).  I've heard we have 20 days before and 20 days after and also heard 30 days before and 30 days after in which we're able to use sick time.  Other than that, no such luck.  So, with me I can't use any of my sick time, just disability ins. for six weeks and I'm trying to figure out if the NJ FMA can be used for the remaining six so I'm at least paid partially.  It's all so confusing...and I met with my rep today.  Didn't help! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Where I teach, you can use 30 sick/personal days from the day the baby is born.  After that we get nothing, yup you got that right, unpaid!!  I teach in NY and we don't get the disability or Family Medical Leave stuff.      so any time off that I take after 30 days I won't get anything! 

The people I know that teach in NJ, were able to use 30 sick days after the baby is born and then had the disability, etc.    Unfortunately, when you have the baby in the summer, you are not in school, so things are a little different because you are not working and already have the time off.     Most school teachers don't normally get paid in the summer as it is, so you will at least still be getting something.

• That stinks!  My issue isn't really payment during the summer as I have money saved for that anyway.  My issue is that my last regular paycheck will be the end of June and then normally I go back in September and by the 15th have a regular paycheck again.  With going on leave, I won't have a regular paycheck for some time.  I was misinformed and told I'd be able to use sick time in September which would at least get me a regular check for a little while.  So now, I just don't know what I'm going to do.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • That sounds about right to me.  I got screwed by Prudential because I had no idea I was still on the 90 day grace period.  So I get NOTHING from them.  The NJ FMLA kicks in once you are done with that and goes up to about 2/3 or $530/week for 6 weeks. 

Where I teach I will be leaving May 6 and using sick days through the end of the  school year, apply for NJFMLA in Sept, and return to work late Dec.  We also have the option of Summer Savings Pay. So I will be getting paychecks until Aug. 30.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You get 4 weeks before, 6 weeks after (so that's where the 30 days come it) or 8 if it is a c-section.  During that time you can use your sick days and Prudential (with mine there was a 2 week waiting period, I guess that's with everyone).

You have to think of it as they are paying you, or allowing you to take that time off, because you are disabled.  It doesn't matter when your baby is born, after 6 weeks you are physically able to go to work.  You need to get a letter at 6 weeks from your Dr. stating you can go back to work.  I know some women have good relationships with their drs and the dr said they can not return to work, therefore the women could continue to use their sick days because they were still technically disabled.

After the 6 weeks of disability, you can collect 6 weeks of FML.  The purpose of this is to bond with your baby.  I don't remember the exact amount, it was less than I make, but it was something.  I believe you can get another 6 weeks unpaid of FML, but that is just to hold your position.  My 6 weeks of disability and 6 weeks of FML took me to the end of June so I'm not totally sure about those last 6 weeks. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Ok my daughter was born Aug 15 and my district allowed me to use my 30 sick days after her birth (Sept and Oct)  I do not know if all districts are different but talk to your superintendent.   

This is what I did.

Worked until end of June.

August 15 - baby

August 30 - first prudential check 

Work paychecks in Sept and Oct (used sick days) 

September 30 - last prudential check

Nov,Dec,Jan - Federal leave - no pay

Feb-March - 6 weeks of NJ leave (paid)

Back to work soon.

Good luck.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sounds strange to me.  I had my baby July 23 but was due Aug 2nd so I had to wait out the 30 day waiting period for the Prudential.  Once I surpassed that I got one paycheck in Aug for $1900 and another paycheck for 2 something in Sept.  You can only get paid 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after but since I had the baby in the 4 weeks before I couldn't get anything.  I would call the NJEA benefits and ask to get changed to the 30 day plan.  It's only $29/month and you would get additional paychecks then.

I used all my sick days for 6 weeks with pay then took an additional 2 weeks off with no pay.  Went back the first week in Nov.

Why can't you use sick time?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"