Postpartum Depression
Options

who do I see?

My OB gave me a script for Welbutrin the day after Mason was born.  At my 6 week check up she upped it, but then told me that if I need anything changed that I should talk to a therapist about it.

I started seeing a Therapist in December.  She thinks my meds should be upped.  Obviously she can't write a script or she would have.  She she said to talk to my OB, but my OB doesn't feel it's under her care anymore. 

So, do I just ask my regular doctor? That's my guess, but I didn't know if others had different experiences. 

UGH, I wish I just felt better and didn't need the medication.  I tried going off it once and i was a bigger mess than I am now, so I know I still need it.

Re: who do I see?

• Options
    If your OB won't do it, then I would definitely see your regular doctor and discuss it.
  • Options
    I would see a psychiatrist. You can of course see you primary doctor, but this really isn't their area of expertise. You will get the most up to date care if you see a psychiatrist. Look for one who works with women with perinatal mood disorders as a specialty. Your therapist should have a recommendation for you. Usually they work in conjunction with a specific practice- at least that was my experience. Good luck.
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

mrsbnlmel gave the perfect answer.   I 100% agree.    I actually applaud your dr. for not just writing you a Rx and making sure the right person helps you.

A psychiatrist can write Rx - a psychologist/counselor cannot.  They will give you the right medicine/counseling combination you need.

If you don't know where to go, call your PPD support group at the hospital you gave birth at and they should be able to help you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"