2nd Trimester

6 months pregnant, and my husband has lost his job

So I'm almost 6 months pregnant, and it looks as though my husband might have lost his job. It appears they are making cuts, and he will be one. We have a mortgage, and all those other bills, and it's very stressful. I know he will find something else. He is going back to school, and will be done soon. But, it's very hard not to be stressed over this. I am losing sleep at night. I am blessed to have a family that can help with the fiances for a little while, although I hate accepting help. I simply don't make enough to support us both. After 6 years with his company, they know I'm pregnant, and choose now to lay him off. It's devastating.
Jenny BabyName Ticker

Re: 6 months pregnant, and my husband has lost his job

• How frustrating, and scary!  Hang in there though.  Support each other.  And remind yourself that somehow things will work out.  Thoughts and prayers in this rough time.
    Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • my DH got laid off 2 weeks before I gave birth to Evan. He was with them for 11 years. That was his only & first job ever since age 16. We were both shocked & scared as we too have a mortgage & other bills. Hang in there something good will come of it. Try to see it as a blessing in disguise.Good Luck to both of you

• Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry to hear this! Damn the economy!! Try calling your doc's office and tell them whats happened. They have plenty of resources that could help you guys get by a bit easier until things work out. Things WILL get better and you'll both look back on this one day and laugh about the stress. Hang in there, as I did with my first born and I promise, you'll see that things will turn back to that golden path.
  • I'm sorry, it is very hard and very stressful.  My husband is losing his job in a few months and hasn't been able to find anything else in his field.  I'm worried but I'm trying hard to stay positive and so I keep telling myself that it will all work itself out in the end.  If you have family that can help that is a blessing.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• They may know you're pregnant, but if it's a true lay-off, then that, unfortunately can't/won't stop them.  I'm sure there are plenty of others they are laying off that have their own situation as well.  I don't say that to be ugly, just to help give some prespective.

I'm sure your hubby will find something soon.  I would talk with your doc about working with you bill wise.  Until he finds something, he may want to look into waiting tables or something to make up for at least some of the income. 

GL!  I know how stressed I would be if that were me. T&Ps going up now.

• Thanks. I don't have to worry about my doctors office, because I'm on my insurance. So I'll be fine there. I'm just hoping he finds something else soon.
    Jenny BabyName Ticker
  • Suckidy suck suck!

My husband has been a SAHD for 2 years for that reason...luckily it kinda worked itself out...it's often tight to meet the financial obligations- but somehow it happens...

Couple of things to consider:

- Cancel Homephone and Cable for huge monthly savings and see if you can put your cell phone plans to bare minimum.

- Contact WIC about financial support for your family once Baby is born

-  Since Baby isn't born yet and you don't need coverage at home I recommend you have him contact a Temp Agency to get placed with a Job ASAP...at my company almost all Temps are made permanent...consider it a 3 mth Job Interview...

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry to hear about your husband. My husband got laid off in September. After he got laid off we were talking about not trying to get pregnant until he got back to work, but it was too late. I got my BFP the next week. I was stressing about it, but he works with a union so I know he will be back at work once the work picks up. He is still stressin about it and is actually trying to start his own business now, which stresses me out.

I hope everything works out for you!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So sorry for that news. Hope your DH will find something soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my husband was laid off on my due date with my last baby in 2008. it was a scary time, and has been rough the past 2 1/2 years but we've made it. he has a job now and we're doing okay and expecting our second in June.

but i will never doubt for one minute that it was my daughter that hepled us get through it. she and her daddy were able to develop a relationship that would never have been possible with his old job that kept him out 12 hours a day and on weekends sometimes!

so as hard as it was, it was a blessing in disguise.

i hope it all works out well for you and your growing family.

• I'm sure there will be a severence package, and there are plenty of resources to help you out. Everything happens for a reason and hopefully this is happening because he is meant to move on to a bigger and better opportunity! Stay positive!
  • In case you need a "blessing in disguise" story as inspiration - my DH was laid off 3 years ago and it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to us. He was forced to find a new job, which wasn't fun at the time, but he ended up getting a better job that paid more and cut his commute in half.

Even better, while he was unemployed, we sold our house because we couldn't afford the mortgage. Again, not fun, but we ended up being forced to sell right before the market crashed in our area. We made a tidy profit off our house, which would now be underwater if we were still living there.

Even better, we were nervous about not having a safety net, so we put the profit from our house into our bank account instead of into our stock portfolio. So, when the market tanked after the bank collapses a couple of years ago, our money was safely in the bank, and not in our stock portfolio that lost over 50%.

So, things have a way of working out. Try not to stress too much and enjoy having a stay-at-home DH for a little while!

• I am so sorry! But you can do it!

My DH has been out of a full time job since 9/2009- in the meantime, he has done any odd and temporary job he can to bring in some cash. I'm extremely lucky in having a pretty secure job with benefits, but we were DROWNING in debt for awhile there... and now we are actually better off! Even though he still hasn't found something full time!

We used the entire experience to get on the same page financially-- he's always been the spender, I'm the saver- the last 1.5 years has taught him how important it is to never ever be in any debt again, and taught me that it's worth parting with some money now to save us interest down the road. We've gotten completely out of credit card debt, sold our car, and are paying down student loans at a rate that will have us debt free in 3 years even if he never works again.

It isn't easy-- but there is a lot you can do-- cancel cable, dial down the phone plans to the minimum, look around your house for anything you can sell (spring cleaning never looked so good!), take on little odd jobs, cut down your food bill (if my DH can give up his Cheeze-Its addiction, anyone can), and most importantly of all, TALK. You have time before the baby comes to get yourself on a solid plan of attack, and I promise you will be better for it in the long run!!

• imageTikat:

Suckidy suck suck!

My husband has been a SAHD for 2 years for that reason...luckily it kinda worked itself out...it's often tight to meet the financial obligations- but somehow it happens...

Couple of things to consider:

- Cancel Homephone and Cable for huge monthly savings and see if you can put your cell phone plans to bare minimum.

- Contact WIC about financial support for your family once Baby is born

-  Since Baby isn't born yet and you don't need coverage at home I recommend you have him contact a Temp Agency to get placed with a Job ASAP...at my company almost all Temps are made permanent...consider it a 3 mth Job Interview...

GL!

This is what I was thinking might help you.  Also, will he be able to draw unemployment?  Or can you get on welfare or food stamps.  You've both worked, paid into those things, now its time they help you until he gets another job. 

I'm so sorry this happened.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"